Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo balancing

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Adept

Default Lipo balancing

I've always hooked up my balance plugs when charging my lipos ,2s,3s and 4s. Usually charge on my Hyperion duo 615 . Question is are the batteries actually being balanced? My brother says that you have to use the balance option on the chargers and that just using the normal charging option, they aren't getting balanced.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burgerchow
I've always hooked up my balance plugs when charging my lipos ,2s,3s and 4s. Usually charge on my Hyperion duo 615 . Question is are the batteries actually being balanced? My brother says that you have to use the balance option on the chargers and that just using the normal charging option, they aren't getting balanced.
It depends on the charger. If your charger has a specific menu option for a balance charge then yes, you probably have to select it for them to be balanced. On some chargers (my Thunder Power does this) it checks before the charge starts to see if the balancer is plugged in and if it is, then it balances them w/o me having to select anything else. In other words, check your manual as YMMV.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

You should be able to push a button and see the voltages per cell while charging. I have a icharger 208b and I have to select balance charge. Then I can press the left or right arrow buttons and see voltages of each cell and options in the settings screen. You always want to balance charge if you can.
Terry
Old 05-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burgerchow
What does the Hyperion duo 615 manual say about balance charging?
Old 05-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hehehe
Old 05-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

While you are charging the lipo. Push the left button two times and then push the up button one time. This will get you to the balance screen and you will see the individual cell voltages. This is the screen that I look at every time I charge. It will tell you how close to being done the battery is. It will also tell you how far down you ran the lipo.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jjlove
While you are charging the lipo. Push the left button two times and then push the up button one time. This will get you to the balance screen and you will see the individual cell voltages. This is the screen that I look at every time I charge. It will tell you how close to being done the battery is. It will also tell you how far down you ran the lipo.
Yes, I know I can get to see the different modes of info, showing the volts and mash . My question is are the cells still being balanced charged? I ask this cause from the main menu, I can choose lipo charge mode (which I always use) , discharge mode , or balancing mode. If I don't use balancing mode, I'm wondering if the lipos are being balanced. I charge with balance plugs plugged in.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I don't think the balance mode does anything but balance, as in it's not a charge mode at all. My Hyperions always balance charge as long as the balance leads are connected. If they're not connected it reads "balancer advised" and you have to press the start button another time to start the charge.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by racer1812
I don't think the balance mode does anything but balance, as in it's not a charge mode at all. My Hyperions always balance charge as long as the balance leads are connected. If they're not connected it reads "balancer advised" and you have to press the start button another time to start the charge.
That's what I thought. My Hyperion tells me that the balance plug is not connected and asks if I still want to continue charging.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

then using that same mode with the balance lead will balance charge the pack.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Balance mode just balances the cells. It does not charge them. When you look at the screen that I said, you will see that the cells are being balanced.