Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TEKIN RS OR VIPER >

TEKIN RS OR VIPER

TEKIN RS OR VIPER

Old 05-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Both are great, very comparable. The amazing thing we all need to remember is, the Viper gear is already "Tekin great," and they are brand new. Tekin has spent years building up to their currently level of "badassery." (which is why most comparative conversations are basing one company's gear against Tekin's)

The Viper stuff IS new, so some will be leery, but their support has been great thus far.

Tekin's support is also top-notch, and i've never had a problem with their gear either.

Either one would be a great choice!
Old 05-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Suspended

At this point may be leaning towards tekin. I think i just like the fact that the tekin is proven. Are there even any feature diffrences in the viper to the rs?
Thx a bunch guys
Old 05-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bscopes View Post
At this point may be leaning towards tekin. I think i just like the fact that the tekin is proven. Are there even any feature diffrences in the viper to the rs?
Thx a bunch guys
5AMP BEC is a big one, adjustable BEC, adjustable temp cut offs on the motors and speedo, water proof (not that big of a deal, but whatever), Tekin switches suck... we all know that. The Viper can be programmed trackside without the laptop. Dont get me wrong. I like Tekin, I switched from Tekin and tekin is theo nly thing i would consider running if i wasnt running Viper. For me, Viper just works better.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smokinu View Post
conceded much?

because the rs/rs pro is no longer on top of the ramping esc game? people are now debating weather to go with a new esc or another esc..

sad to see you talk like that about another companies esc..

all three team managers that i know about post in all viper threads

plus the majority of our team drivers are on daily and a dealer or two.
The guys at Tekin have every right to be conceited. Tekin has been top dog in the speedo business ever since they got into it, and back into it.

The fact that it's taken HOW LONG(?) for other speedo manufacturers to catch up should tell you that.

Originally Posted by Dlewis4 View Post
5 amp adjustable BEC
This is a plus, but not always necessary. Honestly,
Tekin switches suck...
All switches suck, and while we have yet to see a Viper switch fail, at least you can crack open the RS/RS Pro and have the switch cleanly eliminated and installed back in your rig in under ten minutes.
ThunderbirdJunkie does like the external plug doodad for the Viper's programming thingamabob, though.

Where are Vipers made? ThunderbirdJunkie would rather pay a premium for a speedo assembled in the USA by an American making a living wage than one made in a third world country by a kid that's not even old enough to smoke making 6 dollars a month.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bscopes View Post
WOW. tons of info. really appreciate it guys.
What is the dif. between the tekin rs and the rs pro?
Some may disagree, but essentially, nothing.

The Pro has no motor limit and is STRONGLY recommended if you're running 1/10th scale 4wd. If you're running 2WD then the RS is all you need.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are Tekins made in the US? I know Vipers are made overseas.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Talking in the 3rd person is PRICELESS. STLNLST feels the only way this guy will know for sure is to borrow both and see for himself. These type of threads become more personal opinion than actual help. IMO that is
Old 05-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CraigV View Post
Are Tekins made in the US? I know Vipers are made overseas.
Ferraris are made overseas, but not in a third world communist country.

ThunderbirdJunkie is interested in where they are made, not just the fact that they are made in a country that is not in North America. Overseas just sounds like a "nice" way of saying "China", in which case, keeping people in a democratic country employed is well worth the extra $50.

Tekins are assembled in the US, yes. As are Novaks.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Everyone needs to calm down and take a step back. My "buy Tekin or buy twice" has been a staple in my answers to any of "these" types of threads when they come up.

I never attacked or bad mouthed Viper or any other MFG's products,ever. Both Tekin and myself do not stoop to that type of thinking or actions.

What I can say is that the RS/RS Pro is the longest running production esc on the market today(3 years)that has the longest running life span in RC while still staying competitive with any and all other "newcomers." Mind you all of the "updates" have been free.

Tekin and it's race team have worked hard to bring the consumer top level quality RC racing equipment designed, tested, and built(with both foreign and domestic components ) here in the US.

So if you or anyone else would like to come at me for this statement, be my guest. See you at the track.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie View Post
Ferraris are made overseas, but not in a third world communist country.

ThunderbirdJunkie is interested in where they are made, not just the fact that they are made in a country that is not in North America. Overseas just sounds like a "nice" way of saying "China", in which case, keeping people in a democratic country employed is well worth the extra $50.

Tekins are assembled in the US, yes. As are Novaks.
They are based out of the USA and are made in Taiwan, where this is quality control. Nothing Viper makes is made in China.

And TBJ you know the AESC10 you just bought was made in China right.
Just saying...
Old 05-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I don't buy viper because when questions like this get asked all of there promoters, drivers, and hype men chime in to convince you its better. its been the same with murffdogg motors. when people ask these questions they want the average joe's opinion not someone who is influenced in other ways. there is alot of business on this forum that most users don't even realize and take those post as peoples opinion when in fact its a sales pitch. What people are reading is a sales pitch from numerous angles that are disguised as a sole users opinion.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (99%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
This has been the case with ALL other speedo's so what he posted is true. Viper is new so only time will tell. I like that you stand up for your company though. I see you're from Modesto so chances are you know who I am if you raced the shootout I helped everyone last week. Even a couple of Viper owners. Tested out sensor wires to get to the bottom of their problems so they could get back to having fun. F.U.N. I love that word.
clint its marcus man! lol! i turn marshaled almost every race! haha

Anyways yes i do stand behind my viper product and you saw what it could do in that hyper 10 of mine.

Brian was having some trouble.. but his car ran perfect in the main with another esc.. im not to sure what esc he went from or change to but i know both of them were not vipers, just his motor was.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SaladFork View Post
They are based out of the USA and are made in Taiwan, where this is quality control. Nothing Viper makes is made in China.

And TBJ you know the AESC10 you just bought was made in China right.
Just saying...
OK, good to know where they're made. For ThunderbirdJunkie's personal beliefs, Taiwan is better than China.

Yes, ThunderbirdJunkie knows the SC10 4w is made in China. The only thing stopping him from picking up the Losi on its release was the fact that it's also made in China This is also the reason he buys AKA and Proline tires/bodies instead of Jconcepts stuff...he does what he can when he can and generally knows where everything he owns is made. His TV wasn't made in the US, either, but it makes a difference for an informed consumer to be aware of where their wares are manufactured.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1Fastpede View Post
I don't buy viper because when questions like this get asked all of there promoters, drivers, and hype men chime in to convince you its better. its been the same with murffdogg motors. when people ask these questions they want the average joe's opinion not someone who is influenced in other ways. there is alot of business on this forum that most users don't even realize and take those post as peoples opinion when in fact its a sales pitch. What people are reading is a sales pitch from numerous angles that are disguised as a sole users opinion.
+ 1,000
Old 05-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie View Post
OK, good to know where they're made. For ThunderbirdJunkie's personal beliefs, Taiwan is better than China.

Yes, ThunderbirdJunkie knows the SC10 4w is made in China. The only thing stopping him from picking up the Losi on its release was the fact that it's also made in China This is also the reason he buys AKA and Proline tires/bodies instead of Jconcepts stuff...he does what he can when he can and generally knows where everything he owns is made. His TV wasn't made in the US, either, but it makes a difference for an informed consumer to be aware of where their wares are manufactured.

I fully agree with you, I want higher quality R/C gear also. I've run Tekin the last year and Viper for about 6 months. Both have been great, both work awesome. I love my RX8 but now with the VTX10R able to power 550's up to 4S and is about the size as the RS Pro, it made the choice simple on which ESC was going into my SC10 4wd.

Honestly it's personal preference at this point. If people like Tekin for the proven design, buy Tekin. If you want to try something new get a Viper. Viper ESC's are covered for 365 days, any issues send it back and they will replace it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.