Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What to look for when buying a Brushless E Revo? >

What to look for when buying a Brushless E Revo?

What to look for when buying a Brushless E Revo?

Old 05-15-2011, 02:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Default What to look for when buying a Brushless E Revo?

besides a new one stock for $700.
If i take that budget and buy a slightly used and only up to 6 months old. (I see them a lot floating on craigslist.
I'm going to go with a 1/10 and i heard 1/8 is the same size as the 1/10 but thats what i was told.

Whats in it stock and what goodies should I be looking for on upgrades with the motor and esc?
do they have dual motors and 4WD?
is catle creations good for motor and esc?
Please dont inform me about any other brand. I've made up my mind i'm getting a revo
Old 05-15-2011, 03:53 AM
Tech Champion

Everything is ok on the revo for a normal use. Just change the wheels and get some mashers or badlands. The standard tires litteraly explosed on mine in 4S

You can change the gearing to 18/54 also with lipos to get a sweet spot. The combo is great for this car.

There is a steering mod from steve slayden you should look at.

Some had troubles with the driveshafts in 6S but you can calm the car down using the punch control from the ESC. If you want a really strong transmission you can get the Summit shafts.

What else? RPM a-arms isn't necessary, you can open the body a bit to cool your combo down, be careful about the LVC (3v per cell minimum).

A good thing about the revo is that you can make it efficient even on a track, but it needs some mods.

Revo-world is definitely a forum you should consider
Old 05-15-2011, 04:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by stanman View Post
besides a new one stock for $700.
If i take that budget and buy a slightly used and only up to 6 months old. (I see them a lot floating on craigslist.
I'm going to go with a 1/10 and i heard 1/8 is the same size as the 1/10 but thats what i was told.

Whats in it stock and what goodies should I be looking for on upgrades with the motor and esc?
do they have dual motors and 4WD?
is catle creations good for motor and esc?
Please dont inform me about any other brand. I've made up my mind i'm getting a revo
There's only a 1/10 size Revo but it's slightly large for a 1/10, more like a 1/8.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:10 AM
Tech Champion

The revo is BIG trust me, even compared to a 1/8
Old 05-15-2011, 05:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Revo's are about the same size as 1/8 truggys. Not sure why Traxxas market them as 1/10

Stanman - What do you plan on using your new erevo for?

If you've got that budget i would definately recommend going for a brushless set up straight up. The brushed erevo's (dual motors) are good if you wanna bash in mud or in the rain but once the novelty of that runs out you'll be wanting more power.

The castle creations gear (MMM and Neu 2200's) that come standard on the brushless erevo's are a proven and tough combo and have the potential to go faster than most of us want to go.

If you are spending the same money as new i'd be looking for the following upgrades / extras

Decent wheels / tyres
Alloy push and tie rods
Single servo conversion
couple of sets of lipos

Of course every deal will be different and its pointless listing every single upgrade that you should look out for but Personally i'd be leaning towards a nice clean stock unit than a more used hopped up truck.

The traxxas forums are a good source of info as well.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Tech Initiate

thnx for the info
Old 05-16-2011, 12:26 AM
Tech Adept

Just get the brushless revolution right from the start. Model 5608. The brushless edition comes with a stronger diff to handle the 6s power. My revolution still is my favorite ride. Iv got traxxas aluminum tubes, did the slayden steering mod (one servo mr 9100 t) rpm arms all round, and powered with a pair of Orion 7000mah 35c liposuction especially engineered for the revolution. Expensive,but can run for an hour hen bashing and over 30 mins when racing. You will love this truck. Ive got the gmc sidekick body and it looks like a real monster truck, but handles way better. Probably goes faster than the real monster trucks. Don't think usa1 or gravedigger can do 60 mph like my revolution can
Old 05-16-2011, 02:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burgerchow View Post
...powered with a pair of Orion 7000mah 35c liposuction especially engineered for the revolution....