R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   B44.1 Bevel Diff Gear (rear) (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/512055-b44-1-bevel-diff-gear-rear.html)

Oso M 05-10-2011 05:23 PM

B44.1 Bevel Diff Gear (rear)

I'm running into a recurring problem with my B44.1.

I've had to replace the rear bevel diff gear in the buggy a few times now. It seems like the diff gear is losing a few teeth. Its always the bevel gear, the pinion gear shows no sign of damage.

Anyone else running into this? Is there a hop-up bevel gear? Is it due to something else I'm not seeing...?

Dave

MantisWorx 05-10-2011 07:35 PM

Caster SK10 uses the same gear and we offer a metal one, problem solved!
http://casterracingusa.com/home.php?...ction=0&page=7

goin2drt 05-10-2011 07:41 PM

I have never had that problem. I am thinking that you are not putting on the correct number of shims so the spacing is wrong.

BashemSmashem 05-10-2011 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by goin2drt (Post 9093147)
I have never had that problem. I am thinking that you are not putting on the correct number of shims so the spacing is wrong.

agreed , some kits may need a shim or 2 more than others due to manufacturing tolerances .....

x60Driver 05-11-2011 12:23 PM

I had a b44 for 2 years and never striped a rear diff gear. It's all about your shims you don't want to gear to slide side to side, and the pinion gear to slide back and forth. There is no need for metal gears, the gears that come in the kit are just fine.

Ty

CCristo 05-11-2011 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by MantisWorx (Post 9093121)
Caster SK10 uses the same gear and we offer a metal one, problem solved!
http://casterracingusa.com/home.php?...ction=0&page=7

I hope the decimal place off on that price! http://casterracingusa.com/product.p...&cat=63&page=7

Are these machined or cast?

wezyde 06-05-2011 01:40 PM

I have the exact same problem...

I've had my b44.1 for about 2 months and I'm about to rebuild the diff for the 3rd time. I called Team Associates to ask about it and they said it's normal. The guy I talked to actually told me he rebuilds both his diffs before each day at the track.

I'm not racing yet, just rallying in my friend's back yard. I don't think I've gone a full day without something on the b44.1 breaking, but usually it's something simple like the front arms.

I've tried shimming following a few tutorials and making sure everything is really tight. The plastic that the bevel gear is made of seems so cheap. Perhaps these metal gears are the solution...except they're out of stock.

BashemSmashem 06-05-2011 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by wezyde (Post 9212710)
I have the exact same problem...

I've had my b44.1 for about 2 months and I'm about to rebuild the diff for the 3rd time. I called Team Associates to ask about it and they said it's normal. The guy I talked to actually told me he rebuilds both his diffs before each day at the track.

I'm not racing yet, just rallying in my friend's back yard. I don't think I've gone a full day without something on the b44.1 breaking, but usually it's something simple like the front arms.

I've tried shimming following a few tutorials and making sure everything is really tight. The plastic that the bevel gear is made of seems so cheap. Perhaps these metal gears are the solution...except they're out of stock.

You are running a B44 as a basher ? :lol: You must also have the slipper set right or it wont matter what the ring and pinion are made of . The slippers sole purpose is to take the shock load away from the diffs if its too tight then the gears will be taking the shock loads which will damage them pretty quickly .

ifuonlyknew 06-05-2011 05:04 PM

I can almost guarantee that both of you are having issues because of a broken or cracked gearbox. If the gearbox is cracked or broken it will allow the pinion gear mesh to change, which will cause the gears to fail. Try replacing the gearbox, and see if that solves your issues.

wezyde 06-05-2011 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by BashemSmashem (Post 9213202)
You are running a B44 as a basher

I think this might be the source of my issues :)

Most of my driving is done at a our backyard "track" perhaps it's a bit much for the b44.1. The track can be seen on vimeo.com/22221799 (sorry I can't post urls yet).

I was actually thinking I should trade the b44.1 for a SCT. I would like take the b44.1 to the local real track but I need something I can drive each weekend without having to rebuild each time.

Do you guys think I should switch if my main track is the one shown in the video?

Thanks for the thoughts!

wezyde 06-16-2011 08:49 PM

I just received the metal gears from caster (SKOP039) and they don't seem to fit.

I took my diff apart again and it seems like each time I do I find a pile of dirt inside along with a pile of gear fragments. I looked carefully at the case I didn't see any cracks at all. The diff was closed tightly all the way around.

Perhaps the dusty environment of my track is just too much for the b44.1 diff...

toyota 2jz 06-16-2011 09:33 PM

all b44's strip diff gears! there is not one weekend that goes by that i dint see at least 4 b44's strip rear and front gears! charge it to the game!

racer1812 06-16-2011 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by toyota 2jz (Post 9266964)
all b44's strip diff gears! there is not one weekend that goes by that i dint see at least 4 b44's strip rear and front gears! charge it to the game!

No they don't, I get a full indoor season out of them and only then do I replace them as a part of my maintenance routine. FYI I don't run anything slower than a 7.5 in my 44.

SpraydbySprague 06-21-2011 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by wezyde (Post 9266789)
I took my diff apart again and it seems like each time I do I find a pile of dirt inside along with a pile of gear fragments. I looked carefully at the case I didn't see any cracks at all. The diff was closed tightly all the way around.

Perhaps the dusty environment of my track is just too much for the b44.1 diff...

I've run an Orion 4.5 (yes, look again, 4.5) in my B44 back in 2008, and have never stripped a bevel gear. After a season, I did notice the rear gears showed far more wear than the front. The "dirt" inside your gear box is most likely the plastic from the gears as it turns into a grainy powder as the gears wear. It's the same debris I found in my gearbox after a season of racing.

When replacing the gears it's important to replace the ring AND pinion in the gearbox.

Use this part.
http://order.aeteam.net/product_deta...?Itemcode=3914

I switched over to a Tekin 5.5 in 2009, and have yet to strip out a diff gear. Set the slipper a litter looser to help save the diff gears. Hope this helps.