Wiki Posts
Search

Castle Front End Bell Stripping, Loose In The Motor Mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Castle Front End Bell Stripping, Loose In The Motor Mount

I had an extraordinarily frustrating day at the track yesterday. I stripped the second front end bell in my Castle 2650kv in as many outings. For some reason, my motor cannot stay tight in the motor mounts and keeps coming free. When I go to torque down the motor mount bolts, they strip.

Could it be that my brake setting is too strong, and landing jumps on the brakes (if locked) is causing spur/pinion havoc? My gear mesh is set correctly and my gear ratio is correct and temps well (110 degrees or so).

Buggy is a Hyper 7 converted to electric running a MMM on 14.8v lipo. RC Monster motor mount (with the slots for moving the motor to adjust gear mesh).

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The only advice I can give is, use blue thread locker on the screws that hold the can together and the motor screws. Let the threadlock dry over night. Also make sure not to "torque" down the screws just a little sinch down is enough. If the screws still come out, you have problems. I could reccomend the Tekno conversion kit because the motor can is completetly supported instead of hanging from the end bell. The Tekno motor mounts also have 4 motor screw holes.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nadan805
The only advice I can give is, use blue thread locker on the screws that hold the can together and the motor screws. Let the threadlock dry over night. Also make sure not to "torque" down the screws just a little sinch down is enough. If the screws still come out, you have problems. I could reccomend the Tekno conversion kit because the motor can is completetly supported instead of hanging from the end bell. The Tekno motor mounts also have 4 motor screw holes.
Fair point. I ordered the Tekno mount but had to return it because it didn't fit my chassis. The design is far superior to what I have.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Use a little loc tight and put washers on the scews, grind flats on them to fit them in the slots if needed. Get new screws, I like the Lunsford titanium motor mount screws. I'm not sure what mount your running but there are some other options. I've never stripped a motor mount screw I'm surprised you have. Your screws could be to short or the wrong size. Hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think castle was selling there conversion kit for hyper 7 for dirt cheap last time I was on the site. Maybe that kit has a better motor mount, but I have heard good things about the mount you have. Also the 2650kv is a real beast try adding some expo to the throttle and brake to smooth out the trigger a bit. That buggy was never meant to handle that kind if power. But it's a great buggy! I had a converted hyper 7. I now love the RC8BE! Like night and day on the track for me.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

I installed longer bolts last night and think that was the problem. The motor plate is 4-5mm thick, so the stock bolts were too short to have purchase in the end bell. I also loctited.

Will run this weekend and report back. Thanks for all the help!