Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
6 and 8 poles 1/8 buggy motors >

6 and 8 poles 1/8 buggy motors

Like Tree1Likes

6 and 8 poles 1/8 buggy motors

Old 05-10-2011, 12:13 AM
  #16  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (13)
 
mc4798's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 971
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by SuperEk4 View Post
6 poles motors? Tenshock? I have seen Sct 4x4 n 1/8 Ep wheelie in that setup. Not very good for racing. Too much torque!
Never heard that before Too much torque ?

Throttle control
mc4798 is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 03:14 AM
  #17  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
 
Pulse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,081
Default

Originally Posted by SuperEk4 View Post
6 poles motors? Tenshock? I have seen Sct 4x4 n 1/8 Ep wheelie in that setup. Not very good for racing. Too much torque!
You can calm the car down with a good gearing and the right kv for your motor

If we tested two identical configuration with one 6 pole motor in the same kv compared to a 4 poles motor, which one would give the longer runtimes?
Pulse_ is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 04:24 AM
  #18  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (32)
 
SuperEk4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 10,333
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mc4798 View Post
Never heard that before Too much torque ?

Throttle control
Yes throttle control, but isn't better to use a calmer 4pole than paying more for something you don't need?

Tenshock is not cheap also
SuperEk4 is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 06:04 AM
  #19  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
 
Pulse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,081
Default

Originally Posted by SuperEk4 View Post
Yes throttle control, but isn't better to use a calmer 4pole than paying more for something you don't need?
I agree with you on this one

Still you can calm the motor down with lower kv and compensate with a bigger pinion for the top end
Pulse_ is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 06:15 AM
  #20  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (32)
 
SuperEk4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 10,333
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
I agree with you on this one

Still you can calm the motor down with lower kv and compensate with a bigger pinion for the top end
All depends what's is your application. I used to 1350kv with 6s geared 14/48 to race against gp 40mins with 1 Batt change.

Now I race with Ep so I use 2000kv with 4s geared 16/46. All 4 pole no 6 pole.

Great throttle control n no need to spend more for 6 pole.

I don't see any benefit using 6 poles as long you know how use 3-6s setup n motor kv or gearing.

6-10poles are heli n boat motors. I have used Steve neu's motors too all 4 poles.
SuperEk4 is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 06:54 AM
  #21  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
 
Pulse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,081
Default

I used a 1400kv 6S in 16t sometimes 17 in a 808 and had no issue but I'm just trying to reduce the weight (low kv -> gain in runtimes -> lighter lipos needed -> lighter car -> smaller motor needed etc...). There is a limit for sure but in 6S you can get a pretty light car. I'm wondering if 6 poles motor shortens runtimes compared to a 4 poles.

This thread is just a way for me to understand the difference between both, I'm not saying the one or the other is "the" best
Pulse_ is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:08 AM
  #22  
Tech Regular
 
dj_sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 253
Default

Just curious, cause I don't race yet, but how can nitros keep up with brushless? Is it cause you have to race with gear that will last longer, instead of power/speed?

How would a top end brushless designed for speed and 5 minute rounds or something, fare against a top end nitro designed for the same thing?
dj_sparky is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:14 AM
  #23  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
 
Pulse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,081
Default

Nitros don't keep up with brushless
Pulse_ is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:17 AM
  #24  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (32)
 
SuperEk4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 10,333
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
I used a 1400kv 6S in 16t sometimes 17 in a 808 and had no issue but I'm just trying to reduce the weight (low kv -> gain in runtimes -> lighter lipos needed -> lighter car -> smaller motor needed etc...). There is a limit for sure but in 6S you can get a pretty light car. I'm wondering if 6 poles motor shortens runtimes compared to a 4 poles.

This thread is just a way for me to understand the difference between both, I'm not saying the one or the other is "the" best
Well someone has to try, I won't spend us$150 to try lol. I m a hobbywing user now cheap n good
SuperEk4 is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:18 AM
  #25  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (32)
 
SuperEk4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 10,333
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
Nitros don't keep up with brushless
Lol not don't! It's CAN'T lol!
SuperEk4 is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:18 AM
  #26  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (159)
 
Krio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: At dirt tracks in Michigan!
Posts: 5,718
Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dj_sparky View Post
Just curious, cause I don't race yet, but how can nitros keep up with brushless? Is it cause you have to race with gear that will last longer, instead of power/speed?

How would a top end brushless designed for speed and 5 minute rounds or something, fare against a top end nitro designed for the same thing?
For the long mains that nitro sometimes run (20 minutes to an hour) the most effective way for an electric buggy to compete is to put in a less powerful motor to extend runtimes so that you don't have to change packs as often during the race.

In a typical all out 5 minute electric race, its nitro counterpart would be at a disadvantage, although it wouldn't be too big of a difference with the margin being track dependent.
Krio is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:28 AM
  #27  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
 
Pulse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,081
Default

Originally Posted by SuperEk4 View Post
Well someone has to try, I won't spend us$150 to try lol. I m a hobbywing user now cheap n good
Hyper 9E, Xerun 150A, leopard hobby 1400kv, 6s nanotech lipos, this would be an awesome cheap and good setup . I regret 1/8 sensored motors are so expensive. I used to have Tekin combos in my buggies but I can't say they were cheap and I'm also going cheaper and cheaper.

6 poles motors will get cheaper, just a matter of time
Pulse_ is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:50 AM
  #28  
Team Tekin
 
TY@TEAMTEKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tekin
Posts: 2,465
Default

Sensored = Smoother. Smoother = pay a little extra to have the best.

I really don't want 1/8E to turn into a big 4mod that is too lightweight, breaks all the time and is underpowered. 1/8 is appealing because they don't break too much and adding brushless to that just means less maintenance and more fun.
TY@TEAMTEKIN is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:55 AM
  #29  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (32)
 
SuperEk4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 10,333
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Sensored = Smoother. Smoother = pay a little extra to have the best.

I really don't want 1/8E to turn into a big 4mod that is too lightweight, breaks all the time and is underpowered. 1/8 is appealing because they don't break too much and adding brushless to that just means less maintenance and more fun.
hobbywing is sensored already

yes i agree 1/8 is tough n fast
SuperEk4 is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 08:22 AM
  #30  
Tech Regular
 
dj_sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 253
Default

The brushless stuff is incredibly strong at the moment, but it looks like it's getting even more powerful. These new 6 pole Tenshock motors are pretty remarkable, especially for the price.

I'm looking forward to 1/8 scales boasting 10.000 watt brushless motors with 8-10 poles. It's almost possible at the moment to get that sort of power, but it's very "on the edge" of the technology, and the 1/8 drivetrains can't really handle that sort of power. Need to customize some stuff.

Anyhow, as Ty said, I hope that they don't go "too lightweight" on the 1/8 scales. Most people seem to want lightweight racers for the smooth ride, but soon enough motors will be able to compensate easier, and make heavy 1/8's feel like 1/10's. A perfectly setup drivetrain aimed for an extremely smooth rollout might also work? No?

Last edited by dj_sparky; 05-10-2011 at 08:41 AM.
dj_sparky is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.