Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Tech Legend

Red

Reason I asked if your racing ..

If not racing get the cheaper kit as its all you need to have fun.
Performance & Durability = good time ..
Old 10-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Better pic up a used ft kit and used the xtra to get cdif and good tires rpm arms mip pistons
Old 10-22-2013, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 9turn
Better pic up a used ft kit and used the xtra to get cdif and good tires rpm arms mip pistons
Good advice there. Used FT kits in good condition sell for squat. Heard good things about the MIP pistons. I have the RC Shox dual stage in mine and they're sweet too.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Tech Rookie

pick up a used ft like they say and drive it before you waste money on the cdiff.......i have driven a sc10 with the cdiff and i personally dont care for it........... you may be one of the drivers that cannot tune their truck with a slipper clutch i have no problem with my slipper clutch and i am pretty sure ryan cavalieri and brian maifield are not having problems with theirs either.............great info on this site but alot of people talk alot of crap because something works for them and they all the sudden think everyone should use what they use........buy a truck run it the way it is and make adjustments for your track and your driving style, what works for me may not work for you or joe blow so i wont bother telling you my setup..........just drive and make small adjustments so you can feel the differences in prior setups.......practice practice practice take a friend and a stopwatch to the track and make adjustments tires/shock oil/diff oil/batteries/shock placement etc etc biggest thing i can say to anyone is drive it and learn it.................p iii

Last edited by racer1812; 10-23-2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:03 AM
Tech Legend

Aaaaah yeah Oldirty...

That's some good advise.....
Old 10-23-2013, 12:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Aaaaah yeah Oldirty...

That's some good advise.....
thank you wild cherry.....i am 45 years old and have been doing this for awhile, i work at a small local hobby shop actually one of the only shops left in the biggest area codes in cali and i see more people waste money on trucks/cars that they cannot drive because they bought the new trendy trickery that there buddy or whoever swears that it made them faster when indeed it made them drive backwards in the wrong lanes and just all over the track..........biggest advice i ever recieved was to just drive what i had and learn to drive it fast as i can comfortably watch your times get faster with your style it teaches you how to drive and better yet it teaches you your truck, so when you make the shock adjustment you can feel if it is better or worse............also learn to drive a 2wd before a 4wd you will thank yourself and that is the truth.....................p iii
Old 10-23-2013, 07:01 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 295 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldirtydirt
pick up a used ft like they say and drive it before you waste money on the cdiff.......
Assumption here that its a waste, while others feel it isn't and is a worthy upgrade to the truck ... In your case since you used the product and didn't like it it was a waste for you. For others that have used it and swear by it, its not. Its one of those try and see products based on the amounts of fors versus the against opinions, like the +8mm mod, etc.

The good thing, you won't have a problem reselling the product after you use it if you don't like it, which I am assuming you did.

i have driven a sc10 with the cdiff and i personally dont care for it...........
Nothing wrong with that. Personal preferences are fine when they come from a place of honest usage of the product like those posted by people who have used the stock slipper, VTS Slipper, etc and prefer the Center Diff setup versus those who make up stuff as a convient out. Their opinions are just as valuable as yours IMHO since you have actually used the product.

you may be one of the drivers that cannot tune their truck with a slipper clutch i have no problem with my slipper clutch and i am pretty sure ryan cavalieri and brian maifield are not having problems with theirs either
Please post the races that they have won that were in conditions where the center diff has been stated to provide the most benefit? This information and the setups they used would be beneficial to people who are having trouble setting up there vehicles with the slipper clutch for those conditions.

Or, another way to look at it, it appears Dakotah Phend didn't find using a slipper clutch would be a benefit at this race on his vehicle:

Or, since there is such a benefit to a slipper setup why hasn't AE or another manufacturer released a slipper clutch only equipped 1/8 buggy? I don't think its against the rules at all to do so?

Its probably why Hot Bodies felt it was worthwhile to look at in there new D413 and see if there was a benefit or not.

.............great info on this site but alot of people talk alot of shit because something works for them and they all the sudden think everyone should use what they use
So I take it when you mentioned that center diff was a waste of money and in turn basically says that others should use the slipper doesn't fit that bill in your opinion?

Or that you comment that people who use the center diff cannot tune a slipper doesn't fit that either?

........buy a truck run it the way it is and make adjustments for your track and your driving style, what works for me may not work for you or joe blow so i wont bother telling you my setup
Yes the first part is sound advice and has been suggested before by those who use a variety of upgrades and none at all.

However, having a base to start with that is known to work is better than just random settings. Its why people like Wild Cherry for instance have recommended certain setups from AE's website for conditions that people ask about.

Having a good starting point versus hunting for a setup can make a world of difference in the enjoyment you get from the vehicle.

Or, another way to look at it. If you asked me what tires work at track X, and I told you "hey, just try what you got and see what works", would that make mores sense than having someone actually tell you to use Tire Y since it is known to work on the track?

..........just drive and make small adjustments so you can feel the differences in prior setups.......practice practice practice take a friend and a stopwatch to the track and make adjustments tires/shock oil/diff oil/batteries/shock placement etc etc biggest thing i can say to anyone is drive it and learn it.................p iii
That is good advice as well.

Doing that from a good starting setup on the vehicle however can shorten the time it takes you getting to a good setup that works for you. Its why out of the box AE lists a setup like other manufacturers and posts setups on their websites for conditions they have ran the vehicle on.

They could just as easily say screw in part A to part B wherever you want for camber links for example and go from there.

I would like to hear more though on what were the problems you had with the center diff, as well as any description you can give on your installation as well as the track you race at and conditions you run on?

This can be useful information to help others who have the product and are experiencing the same issues / performance that you saw. Your setup advice can also help those get on point for conditions that are similar who choose to use the VTS Slipper setup or another clutch basket style setup.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

+1 Cain it tock me over a year to get this tuck to my liking and it still dose some things I don't like but one a good day I can take it in to 3rd-4th out of 20 so in my conditions the cdif works for me
Old 10-23-2013, 08:25 AM
Tech Regular

Show me a setup that cav used blockades for tires And I will consider his setup
Old 10-23-2013, 08:33 AM
Tech Legend

I have enjoyed my PINK Sc10 4x4 from day 1 when Ae released it .

Defeats Technos , Dingo's and of course the Bad boy Losi MIP conversion.
Which of all the 4x4 competition out there ?
Its the one I respect most ..
Old 10-23-2013, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

Yes fun from day one my first month spent on pavement getting the the chassis balintsed
Old 10-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
I have enjoyed my PINK Sc10 4x4 from day 1 when Ae released it .

Defeats Technos , Dingo's and of course the Bad boy Losi MIP conversion.
Which of all the 4x4 competition out there ?
Its the one I respect most ..
Considering how you feel WC about AE, I don't think anyone of us are surprised with how happy you are with the vehicle.

Though, you did have a moment where Thunder Tiger's Prolite stole your heart ...

All that said. When I made my switch, it was to get the benefit of sharing parts with my EB48. It has been a good truck for me, works like I want it to and is durable, but the SC10 4x4 always has as special place with me as after following the advice of several folks on here and several of the upgrades I made, it worked very well for outdoor and indoor.

I hope that AE will really look into continuing to improve the platform, especially improving access to the diffs and servo. The modular design of the chassis offers a variety of tuning options in my opinion that vehicles like my SCT410 don't since its a one piece design.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:18 AM
Tech Legend

lol, I run blockades out here, M3 and m4 compound depending on how dry or wet the track is. They make a good starter tire out here for outdoors for the track I attended. Kind of like a workhorse tire, not the very best, but a great starting point.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:41 AM
Tech Rookie

WOW.....i just got my hand slapped by the mods for using foul language on here..........i apologize to anyone who has never heard a bad word and Cain i will not get into all the back and forth with you guys over something you feel offended about...........basically my post stated how i felt about a product that you happen to like, i also stated that what works for me may not work for you...........it is the problem with sites like these the threads start off about a certain product and then it turns into a penis measuring thread...........mods should look more into cleaning up the jr high mentality on some of these threads then worry about the language..............hope i dont get kicked off because i dont use the same parts or drive the same way everyone else does.........p iii
Old 10-23-2013, 09:46 AM
Tech Rookie

REALLY? i mean did you just hear what you said?........think about it and then ask me another dumb question....................p iii

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.