Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Cain are you still runing carpet or out door I wood like you to run this truck out door and see if you can get on the podium
Old 10-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tomas15
I dont have any shorty batteries, yet but I think I'd be possible to center mount a stick pack hmm I'm going for as lite as possible bc I'm running 540 reedy motor.
Hey there Tomas15, I know it has been several pages since you posted this but if you check out post 18524 http://www.rctech.net/forum/10409446-post18524.html you can see an easy way to center mount a stick pack. If you do this you will need to have a chassis brace ... you can make one on your own quite easily if you do not have a FT edition or the upgrades. If you have the time it is worth reading through the bazillion posts in this forum so you can see where the truck started and where many of the posters took it well before AE caught on and adopted the changes that were being done by owners. You will also find some very useful information along the way.

As for the center mount stick pack I found it to work well. After experimenting I decided a lighter truck was the way to go so I ended up converted to a shorty. I started with it in the middle but after some testing found that it worked best for me mounted forward and to the right as shown in post 28691 http://www.rctech.net/forum/11129060-post28691.html This puts the weight on the front end where it is needed and balances it left to right very well without adding extra weight.

Originally Posted by khofman
Guys -- about to rebuild my shocks & set them up for indoor, med sized smooth clay track w/ high traction. After searching this thread I noticed 8mm shock limiters seem to be the top recommendation. As this will be the first time I set them up without boots wanted to get a little clarity on shock limiters.

Should the limiters be below or above the spring cup?

Can I still use the shock bumpers (part of ASC91070) & if so would they be counted in the 8mm measurement?

Thanks in advance!
Khofman,

With your track being smooth you may be fine with no limiters as WC suggested but if your track lets you get going faster and you crash at all often then I highly recommend limiters. The main reason is that the suspension can travel far enough during a crash to cause the CVDs to bind with the outdrives. As they bind three things happen ... 1) grooves get worn into the CV where it meets up with the outdrive (easy to check), 2) the CVs will eventually bend and 3) the outdrive wears out the bushings in the diffs leading to accelerated diff fluid leakage. This has been gone over in detail throughout this forum. With the newer steel inserts it may not be as much of an issue on point 3, but the others are still of concern.

As for limiters, above the cup is what I would recommend as placing them below will change the preload on the springs. Hard limiters are fine but I would use the stock rubber one on top so bottoming will be softened. Depending upon how smooth your track is it is well worth trying some differing limiters inside. Down travel adjustments can be very handy on smooth surfaces.

Hope this helps,

Jason
Old 10-12-2013, 05:36 AM
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE=AzFittin;12625092]Hey there Tomas15, I know it has been several pages since you posted this but if you check out post 18524 http://www.rctech.net/forum/10409446-post18524.html you can see an easy way to center mount a stick pack. If you do this you will need to have a chassis brace ... you can make one on your own quite easily if you do not have a FT edition or the upgrades. If you have the time it is worth reading through the bazillion posts in this forum so you can see where the truck started and where many of the posters took it well before AE caught on and adopted the changes that were being done by owners. You will also find some very useful information along the way.

As for the center mount stick pack I found it to work well. After experimenting I decided a lighter truck was the way to go so I ended up converted to a shorty. I started with it in the middle but after some testing found that it worked best for me mounted forward and to the right as shown in post 28691 http://www.rctech.net/forum/11129060-post28691.html This puts the weight on the front end where it is needed and balances it left to right very well without adding extra weight.

Thanks for the help but I have actually not yet bought a sc10 4x4 I was just thinking of it being possible to run my electronics in this truck. But I'm not sure if should buy the sc10 4x4 ft bc I have an feeling that associated is working on a new vehicle. So think it would be smarter to wait
Old 10-12-2013, 06:41 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 9turn
Cain are you still runing carpet or out door I wood like you to run this truck out door and see if you can get on the podium
Switched to tekno a bit ago to share parts with my EB48, but I have toyed with the idea of picking up another one to do indoor carpet in a light configuration. The car has a special place with me, even though I love my Tekno, I always keep giving the SC10 4x4 a look. It reminds me of my feelings I had for my Tekno converted D8. One of my favorite vehicles, even though my EB48 is better, If I was to pick that vehicle up again, I wouldn't be opposed to running it even knowing its not as good as my Eb48.

I think the main thing I am waiting to see personally is what AE does with the design. there are several things with the vehicle that annoyed the heck out of me that I want them to fix that I can see them doing in a revision, in particular, diff access.

But, I feel the vehicle can be very capable outdoors with the right setup and maybe a few changes from AE. It is killer though indoors for sure. I just think the class evolved outdoors in a way that AE didn't see coming with running these on big 1/8 tracks. Not surprised vehicles based on 1/8 designs do well on 1/8 sized tracks.

I am also looking forward to you guys running the light setup commenting on how they handle on outdoor big tracks. Do you feel certain changes for light setup are still usable, maybe doing like WC did with the Exotek chassis but still keeping some of the lightweight changes, etc?

But I am always happy to help anyone to get there SC10 4x4s on point. I rather see you run the sc10 4x4 and not be frustrated than leaving the class.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:35 AM
Tech Legend

AzFittin

I recommended no limiters for the best performance .

The external limiter's really won't help you stop the CVA from bashing the outdrive cups as the arm's bend on hard landings and the CVA will rub even if you are using them.

Just saying the limiters are not even a good band aid or cure for stopping the rubbing from occurring .

However
Adding the limiter's does no harm ...

Just giving the other side & reasoning why I don't use limiters anymore nor recommend .

Actually still race & enjoy the Sc10 4x4 , funnest car I own .
Old 10-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

I don't the you will want to drive the techno after you try this one I gust want to see my truck win I know it's fast on the last layout I asked a once sponsored friend to dive it 4 laps and he ticked off 4 30second laps at that time the 1/8 buggys ran 28-29
Old 10-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Tech Legend

funny thing is that guys in 1/8 often over power there vehicles. A lot this can be a big cause of difference in lap times. Its part of the reason I went down to a 1900Kv motor in my 1/8 since the 2050 was a bit much sometimes when the track dried out.

Ultimately though my assessment is similar to what Shark has posted, someone who's opinion I trust as he actually tests the products versus making fan boy assumptions and outright falsehoods / misrepesentations of products that they have never tested.

And to me, with the way the class has gone outdoors, the Sc10 4x4 wasn't designed for that. As one way of putting it, having an all-terrain tire can be great in a variety of conditions, but if you are running all the time on snow and ice, are you really surprised a dedicated snow tire does the best there?

that assessment can be seen in my opinions with sc10 4x4 being a beast indoors and vehicles like Tekno and Losi being beasts on 1/8 style tracks. Putting your head in the sand and ignoring that doesn't change that fact.

Working towards improving your vehicle for the conditions that it doesn't excel on is what you should do.

But, it takes a person putting there big boy pants on and making an honest assessment to realize that. If it wasn't for that, you wouldn't have gotten a Clutch basket prior to the VTS Slipper, or a chassis brace, or the saddle pack middle setup, or the RC Shox Center Diff, or the M2C Rear Toe-in block, or any of the lightweight changes that people have done.

same with us Tekno drivers with the changes we have been doing to our vehicles for improvements.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I've stripped the front diff a couple times now after relatively few packs. Is there a known issue I should be correcting this time around?
Old 10-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by StPete40
I've stripped the front diff a couple times now after relatively few packs. Is there a known issue I should be correcting this time around?
Have you put in the new shims under the diff gears?

if not, call associated and they will send you new diff shims. They are 0.5mm and go under the sun gears replacing the 0.2mm ones. You will then remove the shim that goes between the diff "cup" and the actual diff itself.

Make sure you remove this, if you don't when you put these new shims in it will bind up.

That will solve the diff stripping issue.

Did you buy your sc10 4x4 recently and new?
Old 10-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Have you put in the new shims under the diff gears?

if not, call associated and they will send you new diff shims. They are 0.5mm and go under the sun gears replacing the 0.2mm ones. You will then remove the shim that goes between the diff "cup" and the actual diff itself.

Make sure you remove this, if you don't when you put these new shims in it will bind up.

That will solve the diff stripping issue.

Did you buy your sc10 4x4 recently and new?
New in September of '12. One rebuild kit since then. Will have to check the outside shims.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
The external limiter's really won't help you stop the CVA from bashing the outdrive cups as the arm's bend on hard landings and the CVA will rub even if you are using them.
Does the RPM arms solve this issue in any way? I just noticed my front CVA slightly bent and tried to fix them with a vise but will just buy new ones. Too bad MIP or other aftermarket brands didn't design a stronger version.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

AzFittin

I recommended no limiters for the best performance .

Just saying the limiters are not even a good band aid or cure for stopping the rubbing from occurring .

However
Adding the limiter's does no harm ...

Just giving the other side & reasoning why I don't use limiters anymore nor recommend .

Actually still race & enjoy the Sc10 4x4 , funnest car I own .
WC, have disagree on the limiters being a bandaid. Since adding a few more mm of limiters last year I have not had any bent CVs nor have I had any issues with the bushings getting worn out. The limiters absolutely made a difference for me. The parts are relatively cheap so running without will not be the end of the world if something does go south and like you said, they may not be needed in his circumstances.

Jason
Old 10-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Tech Legend

Jason when the arm bends that when I see bent cva's...
Also if the arm is already bent ? Makes the problem with CVA slam even worst.

If we had some stiffer arms we would not even be discussing the problem IMO.

Gt4

Rpm arms are slightly different geometry and do not offer any help as they flex just as much as the Ae arm.
The Ae arm handles better as well so stick with what you already have .

Check your arms, buy new if they are bent .
Old 10-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

If we had some stiffer arms we would not even be discussing the problem IMO.
Do you even know what you are writing?

As much as you provide useful information you also post the biggest sh*t
Old 10-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Tech Regular

Cain I'm not asking you to turn the car or give me advice on the car I want to drive the car I think it is dilled The only thing it does sometimes that I don't like is the Rear end will kick out on a big sweeper But if you stab the gas soon enough there's no problem let me know

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.