Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 07:33 AM
  #35101  
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

Originally Posted by Tomas15
Cherry did you try mounting the shorty Side ways to the front. Brings more weight upfront so you can remove Some weights next to the servo and lighters is better right?
Have done as you ask , settle for the ballast in front instead , for smoother steering entering the turns & more on power steer & pull ...
Centering the battery helped even or balance the steering left to right .

Lighter can do good things for the performance , relieves the load the on the shocks and improves their control . Lighter performed much better then installing bigger shocks & springs for myself ..
Wild Cherry is offline  
Old 09-26-2013, 08:27 AM
  #35102  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 398
Default

less weight -> less inertia -> makes the suspension/car react much faster
Cody227 is offline  
Old 09-26-2013, 09:07 AM
  #35103  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 18
Default

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Have done as you ask , settle for the ballast in front instead , for smoother steering entering the turns & more on power steer & pull ...
Centering the battery helped even or balance the steering left to right .

Lighter can do good things for the performance , relieves the load the on the shocks and improves their control . Lighter performed much better then installing bigger shocks & springs for myself ..
I dont have any shorty batteries, yet but I think I'd be possible to center mount a stick pack hmm I'm going for as lite as possible bc I'm running 540 reedy motor.
Tomas15 is offline  
Old 09-26-2013, 09:13 AM
  #35104  
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

Even if you do move a shorty forward & sideways, will still need some ballast up front .

You may be able to use a little less ballast , maybe 1/2 oz less ...


Also the PINK truck can't use less ballast unless I wish to go below the legal weight .
Wild Cherry is offline  
Old 09-26-2013, 10:14 AM
  #35105  
Tech Legend
iTrader: (294)
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 34,395
Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Tomas15
I dont have any shorty batteries, yet but I think I'd be possible to center mount a stick pack hmm I'm going for as lite as possible bc I'm running 540 reedy motor.
Someone has done this in the past. I don't recall what all they chopped out if anything, but it has been done and posted on the thread.


Tip: use the Center Diff for the best performance, no multiple pads required.
Cain is offline  
Old 09-26-2013, 10:19 AM
  #35106  
Tech Master
iTrader: (45)
 
StPete40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Land O' Lakes
Posts: 1,326
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

I've got the center diff, dual stage pistons, upgraded rear toe blocks installed (and VTX8/HD 4300 on the way buwaahaha). Are the Exotek rear carriers a worthwhile investment? Really more interested in durability at this point, unless there is a worthwhile handling upgrade left that is more than a marginal improvement (other than my driving).
StPete40 is offline  
Old 09-26-2013, 10:27 AM
  #35107  
Tech Legend
iTrader: (294)
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 34,395
Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default

I had no durability issues with the stock carriers. Unless you are wanting to play around with +8mm mod or something similar, I think you would be fine starting with what you have. The exotek carriers offer the most adjustability since you can add shims, etc.

Me personally, based on discussions with those who I trust and my own testing, I found that the +8mm mod where you could see benefit from having adjustability on the carrier for linkage height seemed to give me more traction, where as the portion of the change where you also raise the tower took it away. It made sense, as when running indoors without the +8mm mod, to control traction rolling I raised the inner ball stud up to 5 or 6mm from memory and the vehicle was pretty much dialed in the rear. And as discussed with someone who tried the mod in a higher traction condition, he found he didn't have the kind of rotation he had prior to it on the rear that he needed, especially for a tight technical track. I can't directly comment on high traction (carpet for instance) conditions though as I didn't get to test it out.

What conditions do you plan to race on? I have a setup for loose conditions I can send you if you like, it uses the parts you have other than the exotek chassis that I believe you don't have.

To be honest that motor is going to be stupid powerful in the sc10 4x4 especially if you don't have the exotek chassis.. Don't be surprised if you go to a 540 4 pole instead, especially as you get a bit better weight bias with a lighter motor in the rear.

Make sure you have excellent batteries too and use Punch control on the VTX8 to help save your batts.
Cain is offline  
Old 09-26-2013, 10:39 AM
  #35108  
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

Originally Posted by StPete40
I've got the center diff, dual stage pistons, upgraded rear toe blocks installed (and VTX8/HD 4300 on the way buwaahaha). Are the Exotek rear carriers a worthwhile investment? Really more interested in durability at this point, unless there is a worthwhile handling upgrade left that is more than a marginal improvement (other than my driving).
Have you broken a rear hub ?

I just purchased these , has a tab to hang the C brace on , no broken ball studs to ruin the party .

The metal hubs are stiffer , less flex for improved handling..
Attached Thumbnails SC10 4x4 Thread-%24-kgrhqf-q8fccgbsijkbq-9rvj-vw%7E%7E60_12.jpg  
Wild Cherry is offline  
Old 09-26-2013, 10:42 AM
  #35109  
Tech Master
iTrader: (45)
 
StPete40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Land O' Lakes
Posts: 1,326
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Cain, I will be running on a couple of outdoor 1/8 tracks. Some very loose conditions sometimes on non-race/practice days. I'd really appreciate any setups you have.

I bought the VTX8 for the ease of adjustment and the PRO4 HD knowing I will be moving to a different chassis later. Running TP Pro Race stick packs so should be fine there.

I can make the Exotek hub carriers and front locker happen easy enough. Would get the Exotek chassis if I found the right deal. Don't want to invest in a new one at this point.
StPete40 is offline  
Old 09-26-2013, 10:48 AM
  #35110  
Tech Master
iTrader: (45)
 
StPete40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Land O' Lakes
Posts: 1,326
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

Thanks W.C., I haven't broken anything to date. Truck is pretty darn durable. If those are H.R. parts my personal preference is to go a different direction. In my experience the alloy they use is designed to a minimum standard.
StPete40 is offline  
Old 09-26-2013, 10:52 AM
  #35111  
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

Originally Posted by StPete40
Thanks W.C., I haven't broken anything to date. Truck is pretty darn durable. If those are H.R. parts my personal preference is to go a different direction. In my experience the alloy they use is designed to a minimum standard.
not sure who HR is , can insure you the TOAD's fit and quality is great .
Have a couple team mates that have been using the hubs for months now .
Wild Cherry is offline  
Old 09-26-2013, 10:57 AM
  #35112  
Tech Master
iTrader: (45)
 
StPete40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Land O' Lakes
Posts: 1,326
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

HR=Hot Racing. If not the same, that's a good thing.
StPete40 is offline  
Old 09-26-2013, 11:01 AM
  #35113  
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

Have the part , just have not installed yet .

Bearing fit is good , no one has broken one i know of so they are durable and I like the black finish ....
Wild Cherry is offline  
Old 09-26-2013, 11:02 AM
  #35114  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC/Long Island
Posts: 28
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by StPete40
HR=Hot Racing. If not the same, that's a good thing.
Toadz is just an ebay reseller's name who watermarks his auction images. if you look at the actual auction Hot Racing is listed as brand of hub.
khofman is offline  
Old 09-26-2013, 11:07 AM
  #35115  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 18
Default

Originally Posted by Cain
Someone has done this in the past. I don't recall what all they chopped out if anything, but it has been done and posted on the thread.


Tip: use the Center Diff for the best performance, no multiple pads required.
I really want it but it's 70 thats around 90 dollars I know it's probaly worth it but still..
Tomas15 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.