Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Its weight transfer. If you add weight to the rear that added weight wants to "throw" to the front under decel and braking thus giving more steering effect. If you add weight to the front that extra weight has nowhere to go on decel/braking but on acceleration it will transfer towards the rear giving more grip and will take away steering. To add to this adding weight to the rear of the truck will tend to make the rear step out on exit, think of it like a pendulum. adding weight towards the front will keep the rear in check and add exit steering. Remember its always a balance game between the front and rear.

Wow!

Great discussion guys... so far I'm getting quite a bit from it and its helping understand the truck's handling characteristics better...

By the way, I stumbled across this while doing a search for some mod parts that have been mentioned... looks like a really good deal for anyone looking for the whole package!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASSOCIATED-S...item3f26c0a566
Old 07-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I think the FWD to AFT weight transfer is a big thing like Mantis said, i can still feel it with the 49/51% set up, just because of the sheer weight of my truck. I think its like 6lbs 5 ounces now.

Along with the pendulium effect, i can see this truck being a handfull.

Anyway, the plan is on indoor tracks, i will run the single shorty. Either transvers or inline. I can swap the chassis back and forth, my brace is all bolt in, so its and easy swap.

Hopefully i can get the weight down under 5.5lbs or so with a single shorty, and removing some led up front, and maintain the weight split.

Big outdoor track this week thou, so i am excited to get it out there and see what happens.

Krom.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Nice find on that SC10 4x4.

good luck Krom!
Old 07-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thinking about buying a SC10 4X4 FT and have a few Qs.
I have a SC10.2 right now.

Are the body mount holes in the same spot on the body 2WD to 4WD?

I will be running on a medium sized medium traction clay track. What Tekin motor would be a good start for that in 4X4? I run an 8.5 in my SC 10.2 and it is just about perfect for me.

If I stick to a 2 cell Lipo will a 120A ESC be O.K. ?

Tires interchangeable between SC10.2 FT and a SC10 4X4 FT?

Must have mods for running on clay?

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brian6674

I will be running on a medium sized medium traction clay track. What Tekin motor would be a good start for that in 4X4? I run an 8.5 in my SC 10.2 and it is just about perfect for me.

Thanks for any help!
For motors, its pretty common to run a 540 4 pole motor. The Tekin Pro4 4000Kv can work very well with that track size and the lighter weight helps with the weight bias. If you go with an ultra light style SC10 4x4 setup, I have heard of people even liking the Pro2 version.

120A ESC if its anything like my SP GT2.0 Pro will work great. I use that ESC in my Tekno now and its excellent for the money.

As for must have mods when running clay, personally I would say start with the stock FT vehicle, +3mm wheels, and go from there. You may find that you will want different springs. But the vehicle is in its element on smaller good traction tracks.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:10 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for any help!
Body mounts and wheeels are common with the SC10.2. Cain provided most of the other pointers. If you can run the saddle packs it is more balanced than the stick pack. 2S is normal in this classification.

I am running the shorty pack forward transverse and I am very pleased with it's performance on medium sized clay tracks. I would strongly suggest the RCShox c-Diff. Also look to RC10.com for set-up suggestions.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kromulous
I think the FWD to AFT weight transfer is a big thing like Mantis said, i can still feel it with the 49/51% set up, just because of the sheer weight of my truck. I think its like 6lbs 5 ounces now.

Along with the pendulium effect, i can see this truck being a handfull.

Anyway, the plan is on indoor tracks, i will run the single shorty. Either transvers or inline. I can swap the chassis back and forth, my brace is all bolt in, so its and easy swap.

Hopefully i can get the weight down under 5.5lbs or so with a single shorty, and removing some led up front, and maintain the weight split.

Big outdoor track this week thou, so i am excited to get it out there and see what happens.

Krom - Yes, do share your experience at the big outdoor track!

Originally Posted by Cain
Nice find on that SC10 4x4.

good luck Krom!

Cain - Thanks! But I don't need the whole kit. Just thought of sharing it as it looks to be a good deal since it has a lot of the mod up-grades already on it.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for any help!
I ran the regular SC10 and swapped bodies between the 2 trucks with no problems. Would assume the updated 10.2 body posts would be even better.

8.5T in my 2wd and 5.5T 550 in my 4wd. The 4000kv Pro4 would be perfect IMHO, since you are used to the 8.5T in 2wd.

After updating my old 2wd to hexes on all 4 corners, I was able to swap tires between trucks. As I understand it, the 10.2 is already hexed.

Only "must have" mod that I can think of, and this is just my opinion, keeping in mind that I hate throwing money at problems.....RCShox Center Diff. Rather than slipping and turning the energy into heat like any slipper setup will, it will send the energy where it needs to be.

On a medium traction track, I have my rear upper camber link on the insides of the tower and the outsides of the hub, and that seems to lock the back end in pretty well.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Tech Legend

Default 2 years of hard work , mod's and refinements .....

QUAD PAD VTS
SLAMMED SERVO
REEDY 65c SHORTY
REEDY SONIC
LRP FLOW
AE XP SERVO
LOWERED CHASSIS BRACE
REAR CAMBER MOD
Attached Thumbnails SC10 4x4 Thread-img0508.jpg   SC10 4x4 Thread-img0509.jpg   SC10 4x4 Thread-img0514.jpg   SC10 4x4 Thread-img0515.jpg  

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 07-12-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Has anyone tried those Schuur Speed 4 poles in a sc10 4x4?? How do they pull compared to a tekin, want to got to a 540 motor. Also I noticed Wild Cherry you have the stock chassis, have you had the Exotek? and if so which one do you prefer?? I run on a med outdoor track with natural dirt and a med to large clay on occasion.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Tech Legend

boborc

Prefer the stock chassis for its lighter weight .

On low traction conditions or outdoors we are adding extra ballast next to the servo ...( 1oz to 1 1/2 oz on each side)
Old 07-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
boborc

Prefer the stock chassis for its lighter weight .

On low traction conditions or outdoors we are adding extra ballast next to the servo ...( 1oz to 1 1/2 oz on each side)
Yeah I liked the stock chassis when I ran the stick,when I converted to saddle packs I added the Exo at the same time but pulled the 2oz of weight off. it doesn't seem as responsive with the exo, I was thinking of going back to the stock with the brace. I was wondering though if I ran the brace with the exo if that would help? Feels a little squirmish with the exo and no brace
Old 07-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Tech Legend

boborc

When using the Exo chassis, no need for the chassis brace ...
Old 07-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

QUAD PAD VTS
SLAMMED SERVO
REEDY 65c SHORTY
REEDY SONIC
LRP FLOW
AE XP SERVO
LOWERED CHASSIS BRACE
REAR CAMBER MOD
Nice, Truck looks good! Must be nice to be able to race and keep your truck clean!

Originally Posted by boborc
Yeah I liked the stock chassis when I ran the stick,when I converted to saddle packs I added the Exo at the same time but pulled the 2oz of weight off. it doesn't seem as responsive with the exo, I was thinking of going back to the stock with the brace. I was wondering though if I ran the brace with the exo if that would help? Feels a little squirmish with the exo and no brace
Less flex will make the truck feel like that because there is very little chassis movement to absorb the track.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:51 AM
Tech Adept

boborc

When using the Exo chassis, no need for the chassis brace ...

WC - Wow, really?! I would have thought the other two ends would still flex a bit despite the stiffer center aluminum chassis.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.