Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 06:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I hear the sc10 4x4 has a ton of problems especially with the belt drive system . Is this true and if so is there an upgrade to improve the reliability of the drivetrain . I'm looking into buying a sc10 4x4 kit but wanted to find out more about the issues I hear about . Thanks
Old 04-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brandonmorris44
I hear the sc10 4x4 has a ton of problems especially with the belt drive system . Is this true and if so is there an upgrade to improve the reliability of the drivetrain . I'm looking into buying a sc10 4x4 kit but wanted to find out more about the issues I hear about . Thanks
The only issue I have heard of with the actual belt system is if you get too much chassis flex that can cause issues with the belt. Probably why the chassis brace was a popular enough aftermarket item that AE came up with there own take on it.

If you use the exotek chassis, from what I have experienced, I didn't need the chassis brace.

The other issues were clicking diffs. Basically, using thicker shim(s) under the gears in the diffs solved that problem.

There have also been some issues with tightening down diff cases causing binding. I saw this on the factory team kit I had but not the previous team version. For that, had to back off the diff case screws slightly (and I didn't gorilla them down the first time either) till the binding went away.

Lastly, some have had the top shaft gear come loose from the actual shaft. That happened on a factory team kit I had. Its not very common though in comparison to the issues mentioned above.

There are others I am probably missing, but those were the main ones I personally saw.

To be honest, I think the main issue with the drivetrain is more so how much it takes to get to service it when you need to or you want to make an adjustment on diff fluid settings. Its definitely more involved than a lot of the other vehicles out there. But, after you have done it enough times, you probably will be used to it. I have also heard the process is really sped up using a power drill versus hand tools that I am accustom to using. There are also tips on the thread to get to the diffs quickly as well.

If the vehicle appears to be a good fit for the conditions you race on, I personally wouldn't let the issues mentioned above stop you from trying it out, especially if buying used since the prices on these are really low to get in on.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 123 (97%+)

if you build the car patiently, there really are no drivetrain issues with the belt drive. i drove mine for six months and had zero drive train issues, even on large 1/8th style tracks. if you keep up with the maintenance like any other vehicle, it's a simple kit once you understand it.

i use the 32 pitch spur gear and lock the front clicker(like everyone else). if you run 3s with some wild 4 pole motor, i cant help you with driveline issues as i use 2s lipo and 4.0 550 motors.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:25 AM
Tech Legend

Not true, the belt is very reliable as is the rest of the drive train .

no CVA drive shaft's that wear out or grub screws that come loose like the other designs ..

I love the truck...

Its fast , reliable & handles better then most .....
Old 04-05-2013, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Not true, the belt is very reliable as is the rest of the drive train .

no CVA drive shaft's that wear out or grub screws that come loose like the other designs ..

I love the truck...

Its fast , reliable & handles better then most .....
Personally I love the belt system so much I bought a 4wd buggy with a belt system also, now I'm turning the fastest laps at my lhs indoor track with the buggy. I run no cover at all, even trimmed it up quote a bit to minimize even more. Absolutely 0 issues.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:59 AM
Tech Legend

to me, honestly the worries about the actual belt system being up to the task of offroad usage I didn't get. Seen a variety of belt systems in offroad and talking with the guys who ran them, when they worked they were reliable like shaft drive.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:32 AM
Tech Addict

Yea well I run a sc10 2wd and a few guys at the local track are getting into 4wd . I can get a sc10 4x4 pretty cheap on the forum as stated above the prices aren't bag my only concern is I run several classes as it is and I don't won't something that's going to take a ton of my time in maintenance which will in affect be taking away from my others . I have looked at the tekno 410 sct the losi 2.0 and the sc10 4wd . I just hear so much negative stuff about the sc10 4wd so that why I'm a little pessimistic about it . But thanks a lot for yalls detailed answers it helps
Old 04-05-2013, 08:42 AM
Tech Legend

Yea well I run a sc10 2wd and a few guys at the local track are getting into 4wd . I can get a sc10 4x4 pretty cheap on the forum as stated above the prices aren't bag my only concern is I run several classes as it is and I don't won't something that's going to take a ton of my time in maintenance which will in affect be taking away from my others . I have looked at the tekno 410 sct the losi 2.0 and the sc10 4wd . I just hear so much negative stuff about the sc10 4wd so that why I'm a little pessimistic about it . But thanks a lot for yalls detailed answers it helps
For me at least, my switch to a Tekno SCT410 wasn't because I was unhappy with my SC10 4x4. I wanted something that shared parts with my Tekno EB48 buggy. If the vehicle was worse than my SC10 4x4, I would sell it and go back. Heck, with the way the resale market is for it, probably come out okay lol.

I would say if you choose to pickup an SC10 4x4, main thing I would do is make sure any upgrades that are known to benefit the conditions you have at your track, make sure the vehicle has those included. That way, you are not paying top dollar for the parts.

For the conditions I ran it on, loose bumpy tracks with big jumps, places the losi's shine, I found these items were worth having (assuming a Factory Team version as a base):

- M2C Rear Toe Block (or something else to get more toe in)
- Exotek Chassis
- RC Shox 2 Stage Pistons
- RC Shox Center Diff
- Front spring kit
- +3mm wheels

That was pretty much what I found I needed.

Go in with your eyes open, and an open mind, and you can have a successful run with the sc10 4x4.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Tech Legend

A lot of those who say the truck has issues and other trucks are better are the ones who no longer even race the truck & went searching for greener pastures .

The S10 wins races everywhere of late.
At my track the truck dominates.
Those results proved those negative comments are untrue & based on inexperiece..

If your interested in the best reliability & performance along with the best team support ?

Get a Sc10 4x4...
Old 04-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Tech Addict

I found one on here in for sale thread that
Diff went out in he say that diff went out because of not enough up-travel limiters in the shocks. This can be fixed by adding more limiters or running the shock boots. Is this truck or should beware of buying a broken truck ?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Tech Legend

A lot of those who say the truck had issues and other trucks are better are the ones who no longer even race the truck & went searching for greener pastures .
How's that Prolite working out for you again WC?

Though, I have to admit its kind of odd logic you make there. If a person feels a different truck is significantly better, why would you race the old one? It would be like that Losi guy you said you converted to an SC10 4x4 running the losi still?

The S10 wins races everywhere of late.
At my track the truck dominates.
Those results proved those negative comments are untrue & based on inexperiece..
So your inexperience with the sc10 4x4 was why you thought the prolite was better?

People stating what they are seeing as issues isn't directly equal to them being inexperienced.

The fact that team drivers are NOT running the truck exactly as it first came out is proof enough that issues were identified and for most of them, addressed in some manner. (chassis brace, VTS Slipper, etc).

Thankfully, the aftermarket was able to step in till those items were available and continues to for items that AE has not yet produced that benefit the vehicle.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Tech Legend

I found one on here in for sale thread that
Diff went out in he say that diff went out because of not enough up-travel limiters in the shocks. This can be fixed by adding more limiters or running the shock boots. Is this truck or should beware of buying a broken truck ?
Ae just improved the diff cases & shims..
Check them out, makes um bullet proof.

A broken truck is not a bad deal if the price is reasonable.

Should go though and check first, replace the broken parts and off you go.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:32 AM
Tech Legend

Brandon, I am a big believer in Ae products because Ae has been there always for me .
They offer the best support and set up advise around.

Many years of good fun times as a result..
Old 04-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Tech Addict

Yea I may pick it up my thing is if I have to buy a truck For 250 and spend 200$ (let's say ) to get it good enough to compete or just buy one that's ready out the box for 400 just getting yalls advice
Old 04-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Tech Legend

Yea I may pick it up my thing is if I have to buy a truck For 250 and spend 200$ (let's say ) to get it good enough to compete or just buy one that's ready out the box for 400 just getting yalls advice
shop around always a better deal.

Can fine a Team in good condition for the same amount with a little bargaining.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.