Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Tech Legend

Default Sc10 is Legit !!!

Great racing again candrell ....
Nice work with the pictures & video from www.rc-stats.com

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 05-15-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03u_zvrly-Y

todays main
Old 03-25-2013, 01:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That was awesome! Thanks for the footage! Subscribed! Sc10 4x4 kills it again.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:35 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaseyDDR
I'll eventually start messing more with the toe angle more, but now I want to find a suspension set up that I feel most comfortable with. I also ended up with the front/rear spring kits for the truck, so I have a lot to try. Any suggestions on where to start?

I'm also thinking about picking up that piece to the slipper assembly that helps with breaking and accelerating. I'm spacing on the actual name.. replaces one of the slipper pads on the inside of the spur gear.

What spring/rollbar set up are you using Cain?
What I ended up with before I sold the vehicle was if the track was loose and bumpy I liked the blues up front, Green or White Fronts on the rear. Hi traction I really liked yellow fronts on fronts, blue fronts on the rear. Can't recall sway bars off hand, but I do have a loose track setup I can email you if you like, just send me a PM with your email address and I can shoot it over to you.

The nice thing with the rear toe block is you can lock in the rear end as needed, then mess with the springs / shocks without trying to get traction and affecting something else along the way.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Tech Legend

Sc10 4x4 is legit !!!!

Sc 4x4 is kick-n at Trcr ...

Addicting fun with the power , steering & traction a 4 w brings ...
Old 03-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

I would like to try the mc2 at 3.25 on my track and see what it does. I might have to buy one someday. We will be getting 2 new outdoor tracks here this summer, both less than 25 mins from my house. Can't wait! This might be a good reason to buy
Old 03-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by ryanpatrickgore
I would like to try the mc2 at 3.25 on my track and see what it does. I might have to buy one someday. We will be getting 2 new outdoor tracks here this summer, both less than 25 mins from my house. Can't wait! This might be a good reason to buy
Its a nice part (Mc2)..

TRCR will like 3 degree best , more toe will make the truck easier to drive but at the expense of corner speed ..

When Bridgewater race outdoors he use 3 degree as well ...
Old 03-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Its a nice part (Mc2)..

TRCR will like 3 degree best , more toe will make the truck easier to drive but at the expense of corner speed ..

When Bridgewater race outdoors he use 3 degree as well ...
WC, when you tired less and/or more toe, did you do it with toe block and/or hub carries? Also, for those of us that have a little less experience, do you think the confidence we might get to "punch it" coming out of the corner might make up for the bit of corner speed lost? When I go outdoors I really lack confidence on the large back straight. The moment I get too aggressive with throttle the truck spins around like I'm on ice. I am hoping a little more toe might help me.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by drolmaeye
WC, when you tired less and/or more toe, did you do it with toe block and/or hub carries? Also, for those of us that have a little less experience, do you think the confidence we might get to "punch it" coming out of the corner might make up for the bit of corner speed lost? When I go outdoors I really lack confidence on the large back straight. The moment I get too aggressive with throttle the truck spins around like I'm on ice. I am hoping a little more toe might help me.
Never tried extra toe on the Sc10 because I have never needed .
Have used it on my other rides before though and plenty of experience with ...

You see a few here that run outdoor swear extra toe is needed ..
Tell you, look at the spring set-up they are using...
They are supper stiff ft spring on the back ...

That explains why they need extra traction IMO..

Outdoors ? Tires are more important then Toe , set-up, ect ...

Set-up does not change much , if were me I would not change
the set-up at all ...
Tires are the only change needed usually..

Outdoors conditions can change a lot .
When you first arrive to a outdoor track ?

Traction is usually very slippery and dusty .
Then they groom , water ect . Then grip improves.

If you what to point & shoot ?

You need to change your style as that will not play very well on any track .
Being smooth on the power is more important ..
Old 03-25-2013, 09:32 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by drolmaeye
As I have used the block, and have helped those on the loose conditions I run on who have the SC10 4x4 with the softer stock and lighter front and rear spring settings, I had better traction in comparison to them even with a softer setup. I was also able to get through the ruts faster as the suspension reacted quicker versus theirs seeming to dive into the ruts and get unsettled.

If you find your rear end is stepping out in the corner, you are already losing corner speed, heck, I would say you never had it in those situations where you can't confidently throw the vehicle into the corner in comparison to your competitors. With the toe in block, I was able to do this in spades.

One other thing to mention, I found that when I make this kind of change, I can use it to focus in on rear bite and make other changes in the suspension to improve other areas of track handling versus making suspension changes that have adverse affects to other handling characteristics of the car. Just something to keep in mind that you may find as an additional benefit.

Never tried extra toe on the Sc10 because I have never needed .
for your conditions, sure, would agree. I actually use even less than 3 degrees of toe on carpet which is more traction than what you have at your track, worked like a charm.

You see a few here that run outdoor swear extra toe is needed ..
Tell you, look at the spring set-up they are using...
They are supper stiff ft spring on the back ...

That explains why they need extra traction IMO..
unfortunately that is not what I saw when comparing to a stock SC10 4x4 in the same conditions, springs in a lighter configuration than what I was using. Truck was not confident in the turns, rear end would step out. Tires being used were actually better than what I was using for the same conditions from what I recall as I asked to borrow them

For everyone, its a simple mod to try that can really add some enjoyment to your sc10 4x4 if you find the rear end of the vehicle feels squirelly and you are using the right tires.

Strange that AE hasn't made some blocks like that with more toe like you can get with say your B4, etc. Would be a nice tuning option to have.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
What I ended up with before I sold the vehicle was if the track was loose and bumpy I liked the blues up front, Green or White Fronts on the rear. Hi traction I really liked yellow fronts on fronts, blue fronts on the rear. Can't recall sway bars off hand, but I do have a loose track setup I can email you if you like, just send me a PM with your email address and I can shoot it over to you.

The nice thing with the rear toe block is you can lock in the rear end as needed, then mess with the springs / shocks without trying to get traction and affecting something else along the way.

Are these spring set ups with the exotek chassis/added weight?
Old 03-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Tech Legend

Are these spring set ups with the exotek chassis/added weight?
yes. I ran an sc10 4x4 with the following aftermarket parts:

- Exotek Chassis with inline saddle conversion
- RC Shox Ball diff
- RC Shox 2 stage pistons
- M2C Rear toe in block

The rapid action of the 2 stage pistons I really liked on any rumble (indoor carpet) or rutted section of the track. smooth surfaces they performed pretty much like the stock pistons which makes sense as the benefit to them is on rough surfaces.

as a side note, I didn't run any additional weight on my sc10 4x4, and I was running a Pro4 4000Kv Tekin motor, before that a Tekin 5.5 SCX 550 2 Pole motor.

Found the setup sheet, for swaybars outdoors loose setup I was running 1.8mm up front, and 1.5mm in the rear.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
yes. I ran an sc10 4x4 with the following aftermarket parts:

- Exotek Chassis with inline saddle conversion
- RC Shox Ball diff
- RC Shox 2 stage pistons
- M2C Rear toe in block

The rapid action of the 2 stage pistons I really liked on any rumble (indoor carpet) or rutted section of the track. smooth surfaces they performed pretty much like the stock pistons which makes sense as the benefit to them is on rough surfaces.

as a side note, I didn't run any additional weight on my sc10 4x4, and I was running a Pro4 4000Kv Tekin motor, before that a Tekin 5.5 SCX 550 2 Pole motor.

Found the setup sheet, for swaybars outdoors loose setup I was running 1.8mm up front, and 1.5mm in the rear.
Thanks again for the tips. When you say ball diff, do you mean in the rear, or the center diff that is for sale?

As I've said, I'm running the Tekin 4.5 SCX 550, but heavily considering trying out the 4600 Pro4, especially since the track I've been at is building a big outdoor track very soon in the back of their building.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Tech Legend

Thanks again for the tips. When you say ball diff, do you mean in the rear, or the center diff that is for sale?

As I've said, I'm running the Tekin 4.5 SCX 550, but heavily considering trying out the 4600 Pro4, especially since the track I've been at is building a big outdoor track very soon in the back of their building.
The center RC Shox diff. using it, when with 7K front, 5K rear diff settings. Was very happy with its performance and tuneability with simple dropping in of pins.

On a big outdoor track, I think the thing I would look at to help make a decision for me personally would be if I needed a lot of instant pop from the motor for some of the more shorter run up of the jumps. That is probably, at least in my opinion, where the real benefits of the Pro4 4 poles that I am seeing. Loads of torque. That said, I have been curious to try out an Reedy Sonic 4.0. They go cheap enough on the boards used, may see about picking one up or, if I can ever get more info on the new Speed Passion Blaze, try one of them.

I don't have much experience on the whole motor weight issue, but others have reported that the vehicle does appear to work better with a lighter motor when they compared a 540 sized one to a 550. Not sure how much track dependent that is, you'll have to check and see.

If you do get a Pro4 style motor, for a big track I would say just get the 4600Kv one or more as you can run into some funky gearing issues with the 4000Kv motor as the stock motor mount needs to be modified for larger pinions. I also had slight temp issues when going up in pinion size so I went down in pinion size, and added VERY LITTLE TIMING (5 degrees on SP ESC) and that got my top end speed where I needed it. Remember though, in general, Pro4 motors DON'T LIKE TIMING.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cantrell8
Excellent driving fella's

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.