Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
can't recommend to anyone turning down the throttle EPA

When you do ?
You not only kill top speed , but also bottom power .
So if your having trouble clearing jumps running a turn down EPA ?

This is why the truck is missing those jumps ...

summary

Don't use a ban aid to fix poor throttle control !

It will only make the truck harder to drive ...
What about using EXPO to smooth out the throttle? Do you agree or disagree with that tactic?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Maddog94
What about using EXPO to smooth out the throttle? Do you agree or disagree with that tactic?
i agree.. i havent tried it in the 4wd.. but it defiantly helps out the smoothness in my modified short course truck.. i went to 18% on my throttle.. super smooth!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Maddog94
same thing , only messes up the bottom end power .

Can't turn it down with out changing both sides of the power band , with EPA, ARC or EXPO...

More better to use a milder motor instead...
Old 09-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Tech Addict

same thing , only messes up the bottom end power .

Can't turn it down with out changing both sides of the power band , with EPA, ARC or EXPO...

More better to use a milder motor instead...
how about using a 540 motor.. like a 4.5 reedy?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If you're having throttle issues or weird stuff happening, you probably have dirt or clay inside your esc. Take it apart and clean with contact cleaner. Is take apart the receiver as well and clean it. You'd be surprised how much crap can get in there. Clean motor out too.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

I always have some EXPO on my radio. In Stock SCT 17.5 I used negative expo to get to the sweet spot soon on the throttle travel. With Mod SCT I had to tone down my 7.5 to make it controlable. I have always used EXPO with my 4WD SCTs cause the 4.5t 550 motors have so much power for the tight tracks that I have run on. Also the advent of motor timing expands the band of the motor. So I would say that EXPO is critical for control. I was able to get my ModSCT and 4wdSCT to feel pretty close to each other which helped to transition from one class to the other often times back-to-back.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

540 motor will probably give you temp issues if you dont watch it close. maybe need a fan on it too.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Tech Legend

Not saying turning down the radio does not work !

Rather its just a band aid to fix .

You will find far better control by using a milder motor instead & no turning down the radio

If you are doing better with a turned down radio throttle ?

Use that fact as a big hint yelling at you ...

Try a milder motor instead & should yield better results ....
Old 09-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I'm looking for someone in the Phoenix area to go over some things with my new truck. Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SC Shaun

Thank you Castle Creations for your bulletproof products for bashing and all purpose running. But unfortunately you can't handle the requirements of racing for me.

Time to sell these buggers off!
Hi SC Shaun, I was thing of getting the CC Sidewinder SC 3800kv 4 pole when my season ends. So you are saying that you don't like CC ESC's for racing, why not. Can you explane why, Thanks
Old 09-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Acill
I'm looking for someone in the Phoenix area to go over some things with my new truck. Any help is appreciated.
I would take it to scottsdale speedway, ryan maifields home track, pretty sure he could point u in the right direction
Old 09-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Not saying turning down the radio does not work !

Rather its just a band aid to fix .

You will find far better control by using a milder motor instead & no turning down the radio

If you are doing better with a turned down radio throttle ?

Use that fact as a big hint yelling at you ...

Try a milder motor instead & should yield better results ....
I would agree that if you are changing your EPA to gain control then you could just as easy switch to a milder motor. I have run a 17.5, 13.5, 10.5, 8.5, and now run a 7.5 in my SC10 2wd. On some tight tracks my lap times are no different between these motors. The short course class has more issues with traction that make it hard to put down the power. Match your motor to the track. I am running 8th scale tracks now so that is why I have a 7.5t in my SC10 2wd and a 4.5t 550 in my SC10 4x4.

Since my desire has always beeen to have a super fast truck for the straights that doesn't burn up while retaining control in the slow speed sections. You cannot just limit your EPA and get this kind of control. Why would Maifield use a 4.0 550 turn motor in his SC10 4x4 if not for these reasons. Every driver is different of course so you need to develop what you need to control both. A linear throttle curve is very difficult to use for these higher performing motors. That is why I feel it is crucial to use EXPO the get the low speed control AND top speed on the straights. My background is calibration of engines for full size cars at Ford. The throttle curve or EXPO is something we shape to make the car feel natural and responsive. That's what I loved about the Novak Kinetic. You could calibrate the throttle curve even more than EXPO. An "S" shape is the best really and EXPO is just a parabolic shape which can make the lower speed a little lazy. Do I need to create a graph or chart?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 123 (97%+)

Does anyone know about the "steel diff insert" that was mentioned on maifield's set up sheet?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Tech Legend

believe those are the new .5 shim for diff
Old 09-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

With my Pro 4 motor , it makes enough power still with the power turned down and makes it easier to drive. I like that I can tune the motor to the track right off the radio, that's the benefit of having a great radio. With these fancy esc's and radios's there's lots of stuff in there to make your truck respond the way you want to your track conditions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.