Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very Hot ESC and Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

VXL on 3s for 30 min. ummm it's gonna get hot!
Old 05-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Tech Initiate

A bit warmer today. Ran the Pede 4x4 today with 3S and stock gearing. Pede got hot after 20 min. Had to stop before I break anything.
Old 12-04-2023, 04:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Old post, but just had to throw in because google is date blind.

Not sure which esc Traxxas was using in 2011, but if it was the 2 pole compatible 3355x with the 2 pole 3351x then thats what i had in my VXL Stampede.
i ran it 3s on stock gears for 3 years. (I got the Stampede VXL with everything but the box in like new condition from Goodwill! It was $100 and i had a 20% off coupon!).
That Stampede loved 3s, in grass, dirt, road, didn't matter, it ran great! I put a Trackstar 25mm fan on the ESC and a dark blue 3650 heatsink (no fan) on the motor just because I had them, not because I felt like I needed them.
But again I dont know what ESC & motor Traxxas used in 2011.
Eventually, after lending my truck to a friend so he could play with his two daughters that he purchased WLToys A979B trucks for, it came back in a bad way.
I don't blame him but to list I had two infamous problems!
The wheels would spin up while holding the truck in the air. Place rear wheels on deck with front in air and it had power, place front wheels on deck with rear wheels in the air and it had NO power.
I never found out what was wrong. I just ended up replacing the front and rear diffs with Jenny's diffs, replaced the spur/slipper and the Propeller shaft and it seemed ok but never sounded as smooth or good as it once did.
I then realized the 3351x motor had the infamous issue where the rotor shaft seperated from the magnets!!!!
I LOVED my 2 pole motor, it LOVED that truck. No issues, nothing but insane power, speed, and ran cool. Used 3s: Zeee 100c 5A, Gens Ace 5A 50c, YoWoo Graphene 120c 5A.
So i glued the motor and it werx but i put a 3355R and a 3351R in instead.
It seems to have all the power but top end is definitely not as good.
My problem is that the ESC and Motor now get very hot where before I had Zero issues.
I have no binding, everything is the same except the diffs and clutch. But the truck can be powered off and given a push and it will roll along like it has no motor installed. Super smooth.

I really have lost it over this. That truck was awesome, fun, jumped hi and flew fast. Now I can't seem to get it ANYWHERE NEAR WHERE IT WAS.
Makes me sad, but i did only pay $85 for it and got 3.5 years of fun only breaking the rear CVDs a few times till I got Integys in it.

I guess I am going to wait to find a 2pole 3351X on the bay and get it to see if that makes him happy. At the very least it will be put back the way it was as far as running gear goes.

Please cone back to me Stampy! I miss you buddy!!!!!!!
😢
Old 12-07-2023, 05:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The 3351R is a 4 pole motor, so it will have more torque but not as much speed as the old 2 pole. Traxxas was using the 3350X ESC back then I'm pretty sure. They probably made changes to make the electronics cheaper.
Old 01-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by GerryH
The 3351R is a 4 pole motor, so it will have more torque but not as much speed as the old 2 pole. Traxxas was using the 3350X ESC back then I'm pretty sure. They probably made changes to make the electronics cheaper.
Im thinking your right on point..."to make things cheaper"!
i was thinking , I have both of the Hobbyking Trackstar SCT 550 motors. The 5t and the 5.5t.
They are 2 pole, and they have the bonus that they are sensored. So I could take advantage of the sensor port on my 3355x ESC!
Ya, the must have made things cheaper because the 3355x could run Brushless Sensorless, Brushless Sensored with sensor cable, AND THEY CAN RUN BRUSHED MOTORS!
So I may try the Trackstar SCT 5.5t! Only drawback is that these SCT motors are 550 motors, so they are about 5mm to.long to use the stock ESC mounts in the Stampede chassis. I could make a lil C.F. or Lexan tray to mount where the esc goes, then slide the ESC over a bit using double sticky tape. I really hope it worx out. I Havent been this bummed since the Glamis Fear was discontinued and someone stole my Fear's Slipper Clutch/Spur and gear cover!
Right off the car while it sat in back of my pickup while i was running rounds at one of our local trax!
I since modified it to use a Traxxas 2wd SlipperSlipper.and almost have an RPM gear cover modified enough to fit over it. At least it werx now, but Stampy still needs some serious love and someone with a better brain than mine to figure out just wth went wrong with it! Maybe, just maybe the 4pole kit i got was used a lil hard and overheated the magnets? I will know more when i get the SCT in and put the 3351r on motor Analyzer.