Wiki Posts
Search

EZrun 35/a cogging problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 01:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Default EZrun 35/a cogging problems

heyall,
new member, long tim r/c hobbiest(planes&helis)
got a losi xxx-t i put a hobbywing EZrun 35/a esc & 3900kv motor in & havin cogging problems with now that the weather is gettin warmer. think its the stock tamaya batt connectors, but need advice! sum1 please help, hit up my thread or email me & ill give u full specs on the truck. i kno its old, but it was free & has been a blast 2 bash till the coggin... thanx!
Old 05-01-2011, 03:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Do you have the prog. card? Honestly IMO Hobbywing ESC's are cogg free when paired with a decent motor. And not too bad with a budget motor. You might need to turn up the punch or timming. Sometime you need to play around with the settings to find that right spot. You also could recaliberate your radio. That needs done again once in ahwile.
Also make shure your ESC isnt right next to your radio.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:13 AM
Tech Adept

Every instance of cogging I've seen with an EzRun system has been the result of trying to use a low capacity NiMH battery pack that just could not provide enough power. What are you using for a battery?
Old 05-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stu22
Every instance of cogging I've seen with an EzRun system has been the result of trying to use a low capacity NiMH battery pack that just could not provide enough power. What are you using for a battery?
+1
Old 05-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

And those tamiya connectors aren't helping things at all. That ESC isn't going to handle very much though. I don't know if you picked that thing out or it came with your car but it is not going to be up to the task of high output lipos and high kv motors.

I love hobbywing stuff, but you should be running the xerun 60 amp or better yet the 120A, but those connectors won't ever cut it and as someone else mentioned, you need to run lipo's to get any performance out of a brushless motor.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chiro972
And those tamiya connectors aren't helping things at all. That ESC isn't going to handle very much though. I don't know if you picked that thing out or it came with your car but it is not going to be up to the task of high output lipos and high kv motors.

I love hobbywing stuff, but you should be running the xerun 60 amp or better yet the 120A, but those connectors won't ever cut it and as someone else mentioned, you need to run lipo's to get any performance out of a brushless motor.
lol what? i'm with you on the connectors. he really needs some high current ones, but suggesting a 120a esc in a lightweight 1/10 2wd truck is overkill. in all honesty, the 35a is more than likely up to the task of pushing a xxxt around if geared right....lipo or not. i've heard several people running them on rustlers with no problems. i'm definitely everyone in saying it's most likely the connectors and the battery.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The 35A will be just fine as long as you do not pair it with a high current motor. Get some decent connectors and I bet your issue will go away. Of course Nimh batteries will not give you the trucks full potential, but they should work just fine.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LunchboX3904
lol what? i'm with you on the connectors. he really needs some high current ones, but suggesting a 120a esc in a lightweight 1/10 2wd truck is overkill. in all honesty, the 35a is more than likely up to the task of pushing a xxxt around if geared right....lipo or not. i've heard several people running them on rustlers with no problems. i'm definitely everyone in saying it's most likely the connectors and the battery.
Oh well, at 35A you don't have to have a whole lot of motor to draw more than that. I run the 120 in my 1/10 scale two and four wheel drives just to be safe. YMMV
Old 05-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

I ran the EZrun 35A esc in a 1/10 stadium truck with the Tacon 4300kv(basicly a EZrun 9t which is what hobbywing paires with the ESC)
http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m11-car-2848-4300.html
and with a 4000mAh 2s 30c pack it was pretty darn fast and pulled wheelies on command. The combo actually suprised the he!_!_ outta me! I turned the timming down to 11 % from 15% and the punch down to 6 from 7.
If you are running Nimh even this would be better. Since the ESC is only 35A it should provide enough current
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl3300...-hardcase.html
$40 shipped for both!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Check the sensor wire on the motor and ESC. I have had one come loose but it take some abuse to get to that stage.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by renjie
Check the sensor wire on the motor and ESC. I have had one come loose but it take some abuse to get to that stage.
ezruns don't have a sensor/sensor wire.

i'm in the camp that says the 35amp is too small for a truck.
even hw themselves say that the 35amp system is for 1/16 mini's and onroad.
the 60amp is a much better choice, the 120amp if you want a motor faster then 8.5t.