Motor/esc recommendation for a racing noob >

Motor/esc recommendation for a racing noob

Motor/esc recommendation for a racing noob

Old 04-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Motor/esc recommendation for a racing noob

Hello everyone,

An indoor track just opened up in Nj and I picked up an xxx sct. We can run 17.5 motors and I wanted suggestions for an upgrade to the motor/esc

Hit me with ideas. Money is a little tight right now, but I'd like to keep it to 150-200 tops.

Let me know what I should get
Old 04-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Speed Passion GT 2.1 Pro Stock esc and motor for around $200 from Amain or Stormier hobbies, good stuff
Old 04-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

Default One vote for speed passion

Who else?
Old 04-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

tekin rs speedo, my lhs has them for $159, can buy them used all day for $110-$120, novak ballistic motor is $89 new or $45 used, even though your new, i recommend the tekin because you can upgrade software, ebay has tekin 17.5 combos for $249
Old 04-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Does your local track allow timing on the esc? Do you plan to run mod? Do you have sensorless motors you'd like to be able to run?

The tekin setup is great and very versitile, but a little pricey. I have heard epic duo 3 motors are among the fastest these days.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Timmahhh
Does your local track allow timing on the esc? Do you plan to run mod? Do you have sensorless motors you'd like to be able to run?

The tekin setup is great and very versitile, but a little pricey. I have heard epic duo 3 motors are among the fastest these days.

All valid questions that I need answers too......lol.

I'll find out tomorrow
Old 05-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I'd recommend the Tekin RS for ESC, due to it's user programable timing capabilities and upgradable software that easily maximizes Stock motor capabilities in one ESC. For motors I recommend Murfdogg Synergy Motors, (www.murfdogg.com or RCTech thread) extremely smooth and superb power throughout. Both of the mentioned manufacturers offer fantastic customer service and setup assistance. All of the top name brand electronics are great packages and can put you on the podium, best of luck with your decisions and racing endeavors!
Old 05-01-2011, 10:31 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Tekin RS and a Orion v3 17.5 is all you need buddy!
Old 05-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I like the Speed Passions. I've run SP and Tekin, I like the feel of the SP better. Both are good equipment, and have timing, turbo, etc. functions if that's allowed at your track. I have a brand new Tekin R1 Pro, never even had anything soldered to it. It's a sensorless speedo, and if you're running 17.5 you may be better off with a sensored system, but if you're interested shoot me a PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

Default Got some clarity.....

So I can run in 1/10 mod truck with my xxx sct....it's open to any motor/esc with a 2s lipo maximum battery.

So based on "any motor esc".....do your recommendations remain the same?

I'm surprised no one mentioned castle creations? I was told "they are the best". Am I off base here?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

castle sidewinder sct combo $110
Old 05-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by igetbombed
So I can run in 1/10 mod truck with my xxx sct....it's open to any motor/esc with a 2s lipo maximum battery.

So based on "any motor esc".....do your recommendations remain the same?

I'm surprised no one mentioned castle creations? I was told "they are the best". Am I off base here?
If you plan to run mod, you'll have to make sure the speed control will handle the motor you're using, 8.5 is a typical mod short course motor, more turns will be milder, fewer will be faster. As a self proclaimed noob, I wouldn't start out with any fewer than 8.5 turns since it takes an experienced driver to turn a faster motor into faster lap times. Even a 10.5 would be fine for a smaller or slicker track. I would suggest getting a speed control that will handle fewer turns for future motors and I also like to leave a turn or 2 of "space" from the speed control min. turns to what I'm actually running so the esc isn't constantly hot too. Motor brand doesn't matter as much in mod since you can go much faster than you need to with any brand. Just look for sensored motors over sensorless.

In mod, esc timing features are much less important since a good initial motor choice will make timing adjustment needs minimal. You don't need to eek out every last bit of power like in stock, or be class compliant when no timing is allowed in stock. (Side note: I say "timing" generically to cover all timing/boost/Turbo/supercharge functions on various speed controls)

The tekin RS will still do all that you need it to, but is still pricey. It has a ton of tuning options which can even be a bit overwhelming . Lrp has the spx zero which is a nice esc at a nice price, but cuts it close with a 7.5 motor limit and wont do sensorless, although sensored motors are smoother from a stop, and are generally preferred for racing. The lrp is easier to tune but has far fewer options

There are a bunch of options from some other manufacturers too. Ill let others chime in with their experiences on those.

Castle is a pioneer in brushless, and still make some great sport systems, but I think there are better racing systems out there. They do have the Sidewinder sct system with the 4 pole motor. I've heard a lot of good things about this system, especially for around $120 for motor+esc but its sensorless which may cog a little from a stop, and I don't think its roar approved if you check out any big races.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by igetbombed
Hello everyone,

An indoor track just opened up in Nj and I picked up an xxx sct. We can run 17.5 motors and I wanted suggestions for an upgrade to the motor/esc

Hit me with ideas. Money is a little tight right now, but I'd like to keep it to 150-200 tops.

Let me know what I should get
if ur not going to get boost, tower has the GTB 2 and ballistic 17.5 motor combo for 169. it would be perfect
Old 05-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Tech Regular

Default Wow

Awesome answer.....thanks!

Originally Posted by Timmahhh
If you plan to run mod, you'll have to make sure the speed control will handle the motor you're using, 8.5 is a typical mod short course motor, more turns will be milder, fewer will be faster. As a self proclaimed noob, I wouldn't start out with any fewer than 8.5 turns since it takes an experienced driver to turn a faster motor into faster lap times. Even a 10.5 would be fine for a smaller or slicker track. I would suggest getting a speed control that will handle fewer turns for future motors and I also like to leave a turn or 2 of "space" from the speed control min. turns to what I'm actually running so the esc isn't constantly hot too. Motor brand doesn't matter as much in mod since you can go much faster than you need to with any brand. Just look for sensored motors over sensorless.

In mod, esc timing features are much less important since a good initial motor choice will make timing adjustment needs minimal. You don't need to eek out every last bit of power like in stock, or be class compliant when no timing is allowed in stock. (Side note: I say "timing" generically to cover all timing/boost/Turbo/supercharge functions on various speed controls)

The tekin RS will still do all that you need it to, but is still pricey. It has a ton of tuning options which can even be a bit overwhelming . Lrp has the spx zero which is a nice esc at a nice price, but cuts it close with a 7.5 motor limit and wont do sensorless, although sensored motors are smoother from a stop, and are generally preferred for racing. The lrp is easier to tune but has far fewer options

There are a bunch of options from some other manufacturers too. Ill let others chime in with their experiences on those.

Castle is a pioneer in brushless, and still make some great sport systems, but I think there are better racing systems out there. They do have the Sidewinder sct system with the 4 pole motor. I've heard a lot of good things about this system, especially for around $120 for motor+esc but its sensorless which may cog a little from a stop, and I don't think its roar approved if you check out any big races.