Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SC10 Diff Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Tech Adept

Default SC10 Diff Help

I bought a gear diff for my SC10 as I wanted just to try it (I know, I know). My problem is that when I put the diff together I cannot get it to spin freely when the gear case is assembled. It spins fine until I tighten the case screws. Even if I just barely tighten them the diff binds. Any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone run into this before?

Thanks,
Old 04-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I ran into a similar problem installing my ball diff.

1. The screws, as you have found out, cannot be very tight because of the case binding on the moving parts. Install screws with loctite snug, and back out 1 screw at a time until the diff spins freely.

2. That should work, if for some reason it's still binding, check the screws coming out of the diff-case on the gear side to see if the screws are interfering with the rear plate of the spur (not sure what the actual name of it is called). That screw may have to be cut down if you cant get the case tight enough.

Good luck
Old 04-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Tech Adept

I tried backing out the screws but the only way it will spin free is if the screws are completely loose and there is no pressure at all on the case.

It looks like the binding is coming from the main diff gear screw side. When I spin the diff in the bearing with the case apart the diff spins perfect with the side with no screws. If I turn it around and spin it there seems to be a little binding. It still spins well but you can tell that if there were a little pressure then it might bind.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:33 PM
AE-Reedy

Originally Posted by websrfr
I tried backing out the screws but the only way it will spin free is if the screws are completely loose and there is no pressure at all on the case.

It looks like the binding is coming from the main diff gear screw side. When I spin the diff in the bearing with the case apart the diff spins perfect with the side with no screws. If I turn it around and spin it there seems to be a little binding. It still spins well but you can tell that if there were a little pressure then it might bind.
There are a couple of items that I have seen.

1.) A bad diff bearing. The one that actually goes in the case. It was a really weird circumstance but one of the guys at our track had this issue. Just check and see if those bearings are okay.

2.) This one is more likely. Check that the screws are not going thru and hitting the back of the slipper plates. I have seen a ton of people have this issue. Causes for the issue are tighting the screws so tight that they start to borough into the plastic. Second that the washers that go on the diff screws are missing. There is very little room for the screws to stick through on the backside of the tranny. These screws should not be overtightened. That is why the instructions say to use locktight on them. They are meant to be left loosish so that you dont pinch the transmission very hard.

Hope this helps

Chad Due
Old 04-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

if ur still having issues i believe u need to get a different size bearing around the case
Old 04-27-2011, 04:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I've had this trouble. I spent many hours with a dremmel carefully removing material from the case halves and diff itself untill all spun freely. First you need to isolate the bind. Remover the center gear then snug everything down. Try spinning the diff and top shaft to see if the problem is at the top bottom or both. Then carefully grind away. You can also use some marking paint on the diff sides to isolater where it may be rubbing. If nothing shows up it may be that the diff with the bearings installed is just a little too wide causing the bearing itself to bind. You can file or carefully dremmel the bearing race to get that extra .001 you need to make it spin free. I know it's a pain and shouldn't have to be done but there is not much else you can do. Hope this helps.