R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   want to go 1/8 electric buggy (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/506979-want-go-1-8-electric-buggy.html)

sc3333 04-25-2011 03:14 PM

want to go 1/8 electric buggy

Which one and new or used. What set up is good to start?

PorTX 04-25-2011 03:25 PM

What surface do you plan to run? Indoor track, outdoor track, large track, or small track?

blade329 04-25-2011 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by sc3333 (Post 9017223)

Are you going to race, bash or both? If racing, what type/size of track? There are a lot of good buggies out there to be had, but you'll want to get one that fits the application.

If you are going to just run it at the local park or in your front yard, you wont need a full racing buggy. A HB Vorza RTR would be an excellent buggy for that type of use. If you are going to race there are lots to choose from: HB Ve8, Losi 8ight-E, OFNA Hyper 9e, Mugen Eco, etc.

You can save some money on used cars, but there is a downside. Two out of the last three used buggies I bought, have been a pain. Stripped screws, leaking diffs, wrong or missing screws/hardware, worn out drives, bent CVA's, etc. It seems I end up spending more money fixing them up when I could have just spent a little more and bought a new one. Unless it's a really good deal or it's from a well known seller, I will be buying new from now on.

8ight-e 04-25-2011 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by sc3333 (Post 9017223)

New.. snag a hot bodies D8b hara kit from towers with coupon and get the Tekno v4 d8b conversion kit from tekno-rc and you will have one of the best setups around for very little start up dollars. Can't go wrong, good parts availability and tons of setup help on the tekno thread.

monsterbrad 04-25-2011 05:35 PM

I 2nd the used thing
Every time I buy one of these used there is always something stupid wrong with it.
Just get a new one
Any of these new buggies are goog
I bought the RC8be factory team but that was what i wanted cause I like associated stuff they best right now.
they are all good now just depends on how good you can drive

bigben1165 04-25-2011 05:44 PM

check out some of the posts on the vorza thread, people really like them. i also had the tekno v4 for the vorza, for racing, that is the cream of the crop. i dont race so i traded it to another vorza owner that races. the mugen, eight e and D8 tekno conversions cant be beat for racing.

sc3333 04-25-2011 05:57 PM

re track type

Indoor mostly but its med sized I would say. The outdoor track is not open yet. Both hard kinda clay high grip. More track time with it then race very little bashing if any. Maybe at my work make a track but it would be just me.

stu22 04-25-2011 06:18 PM

IMHO, just as important as what you intend on using the thing for is how much can you spend? What is your budget for this? What do you already have?

The advice I'd give someone who is starting from scratch is much different than what someone who already has a 1/10 buggy or a road car would get.

sc3333 04-25-2011 06:27 PM

losi

I've got a losi ten acre w rx8 and sc4x 5.5 can

B.A. Racer 04-25-2011 06:36 PM

for 1/8 scale buggy you cant beat a caster! very nice kit or if you want a very very great rtr!:nod:

Race Kit
http://casterracingusa.com/product.p...&cat=60&page=1

RTR..Best rtr 8th scale out there and only $415!
http://casterracingusa.com/product.p...&cat=60&page=1

hlb14 04-25-2011 06:39 PM

stu22 brought up a good point, putting together a 1/8 Ebuggy can get expensive quick, batteries, charger, tires, esc, motor, servos, pinions, and then the car. 1/8 Ebuggy is allot of fun, my advice would be not to skimp on equipment, get good electronics, batteries etc. as far as buggies go, the tekno converted buggies are tough to beat, if the local outdoor track was still open i never would have got rid of my tekno v4 mbx6

stu22 04-25-2011 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by sc3333 (Post 9018256)
I've got a losi ten acre w rx8 and sc4x 5.5 can

Okay, so I'll assume that you already have a good charger along with a radio and the other incidental supplies that this hobby, or maybe we should call it a sickness, requires.

Now, how much can you spend? Hate to say it, but if you already are playing with the toy cars you know how important the question is.

Can you go out and spend whatever it takes for a buggy, servo, receiver, batteries, wheels, tires, and whatever else comes up, or do you have a budget that you have to be in line with?

stu22 04-25-2011 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by hlb14 (Post 9018326)
stu22 brought up a good point, putting together a 1/8 Ebuggy can get expensive quick, batteries, charger, tires, esc, motor, servos, pinions, and then the car. 1/8 Ebuggy is allot of fun, my advice would be not to skimp on equipment, get good electronics, batteries etc. as far as buggies go, the tekno converted buggies are tough to beat, if the local outdoor track was still open i never would have got rid of my tekno v4 mbx6

Guess I type kind of slow these days :) Can't believe I forgot about the motor/esc and pinions on my list of things that will eat up the money.

richvarner 04-25-2011 06:53 PM

Honestly, i started last year in the E buggy class with a used Tekno Losi 8 and it was a great buggy to learn on. I bought it completely ready to run and already set up which made it very easy to get started. It even had a transponder with it. I just bound my Spektrum radio to it and got on the track. Look at the for sale forum and be patient and you will find a good buggy at a good price. i just sold that buggy and went with a new Mugen ECO. I dropped a Tekin System in it and really can't wait to get that bad boy on the track.

Very true about budget though. You can spend anywhere from $400 to well over a thousand. I wouldn't start with the best and most expensive though. I would learn a "starter" car first to see if you like it and go from there.

Enjoy!

sc3333 04-25-2011 07:01 PM

batteries

Who recommends 2 2s batt. Or a4s