Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New to RC and need some ideas!!! >

New to RC and need some ideas!!!

New to RC and need some ideas!!!

Old 04-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Default New to RC and need some ideas!!!

Im looking to build my first RC car and am looking into to the Tamiya Holiday buggy kit as a first build (Just to see if i like it) What I need to know is this, can this car be upgraded? Are there Tamiya parts that I can use to make it better? Personally, I would like to buy a cheap car and upgrade it, is this the car for me...and yes, i am on a tight budget, so no traxxas rustler for me!
Old 04-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would not really recommend the 'Holiday Buggy' unless there is some sentimental reason for wanting that specific car. Sure, there are a variety of upgrades available for the DT-02 chassic based vehicles, including bearings/suspension/electronics/alloy steering blocks/etc - but even if you spent a ton of money over the long run to purchase every possible upgrade, the end result would be a very expensive car that couldn't compete with much cheaper alternatives.

What is your actual budget? If we had the number, we could offer up more productive suggestions about how to spend it.

I think you could find a better base to start with in roughly the same price range.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Im looking to build my first RC car and am looking into to the Tamiya Holiday buggy kit as a first build (Just to see if i like it) What I need to know is this, can this car be upgraded? Are there Tamiya parts that I can use to make it better? Personally, I would like to buy a cheap car and upgrade it, is this the car for me...and yes, i am on a tight budget, so no traxxas rustler for me!
If you want my honest opinion...Save up for something a little nicer, like a traxxxas slash or rustler.Compared to starting out with a tamiya kit it will be worth the wait.

This is an expensive hobby, you'll shell out more money than you ever thought you would on a "toy" car, with upgrades and general mantenence.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:48 AM
Tech Regular

Stay away from DT-02 based buggies. Team Associated is your friend when it comes to building kits.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

get a slash or HPI Blitz, If your into the buggy look the Traxxas Bandit VXL is awesome for a first car. Thats what i started with 10 years ago(although VXL wasnt created then.) If you have no experience driving you can but your car into "training" mode where it gives you 50% speed and 100% braking power. Then when you feel that you are ready for higher speeds. Adjust the car setting to go 100% and have some fun bashing or racing.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer53

This is an expensive hobby, you'll shell out more money than you ever thought you would on a "toy" car, with upgrades and general maintenance.
+1

Just when you think you have got EVERYTHING to get the car running you realize that you forgot to buy tires, then when you get back home and put on the tires you realize you need a socket wrench to fit the size nut that attaches the wheel. You are finally all set and you hit the track and then you lose control because you skimped on getting a good radio and someone interfered with your signal, now you need a new radio. It's never ending horror BUT I LOVE IT! The smell of fresh burning nitro fuel or finishing the soldering on your ESC is just a pure awesome feeling of accomplishment! And then the best part, RIPPING ON THAT THROTTLE!

And, IMO, Associated is def one of the easiest brands to assemble as far as kits go.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

obviously the op wants a kit, so throw out the traxxas junk.

tamiya makes some really nice kits, but i would not recomend the dt-02 based holiday buggy. i had a dt02 sand viper and while it "looks" like a modern 2wd buggy, it was awfull.

big rm nailed it, if you want a 2wd buggy kit you can't go wrong with the associated b4.

tamiya recently copied the b4 with thier trf201, but it's alot more $$ and not worth it IMO.

tamiya kit's are fun, but limited in what they can do. the b4 is just right, right out of the box. it's a joy to build, modify and run/race.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Default on the subject...

What about a tamiya grasshopper? Is that pretty much the same thing as the holiday buggy?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Tech Adept

if you want a buggy to start out with, just wait a little and get a traxxas bandit. Is there a reason you want one of the tamiya kits so bad?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Default well..

not really, I mean there cheap and I only asked about the grasshopper cause I buddy asked if I would buy one of his. Plus tamiya parts are easy to get locally.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

grasshoppers are a blast, but they are 30 year old technology.

the bandit, as suggested above is a rip off. you can get a b4.1 rtr for 75 bucks less and it's a world class race car.

i have a grasshopper, i like the old stuff, and it's a smile maker for sure. but it's slow and handles poorly, but thats part of it's charm.

the lunchbox is tamiya's monster truck based on the grasshopper, also tons of fun.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Default at kaiser

What is that b41 you just mentioned?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

associated b4.1 2wd buggy. the ready to run version.

i prefer kit's myself as i like building them almost more then i like running them, and you seemed more inclined to build a kit, but the rtr b4.1 is a great value. especially compared to the rubbish traxxas is putting out.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by targetdg15
What about a tamiya grasshopper? Is that pretty much the same thing as the holiday buggy?
DT-02 based kits like the Holiday Buggy are definitely more advanced than the Grasshopper, but neither is going to perform satisfactorily. If you really are dying for a Tamiya buggy, at least go for the 'Sand Viper' - which is also DT-02 based, but it comes with a full bearing set and a 540 (standard) sized motor; with the two cars you've mentioned, you'll be running on bushings which will rob your speed and power, and the motors are 380 - which is so slow and devoid of power that you'll end up feeling instant buyer's remorse.

Most people are going to say 'get a B4.1', but I understand that the price tag is off-putting. Frankly, the B4.1 is going to be one of the most complete and race-ready buggies you can find - but at $200 for just the kit, it isn't cheap. I think you'll probably enjoy the Tamiya buggy as much as anything else considering this is your first - but you don't want to run anything that doesn't come with a complete set of bearings and a 540 sized motor.

One thing to consider before you purchase any car is the parts support. What do the shops in your area sell? Sure, you can always rely on the internet to find even the most obscure parts - but sometimes you just don't want to wait, or maybe you might need actual help (considering you are new to the hobby). If you buy a car that nobody has heard of and nobody has parts support for, it will make the hobby more difficult.

Good luck, and have fun. And in the end, just buy what you think looks cool/fun and know that no matter what, you'll either love this hobby or not - and if you love it, your first won't be your last
Old 04-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Mr. Target.. without being knowing what your actual GOAL for the car is, we can't accurately recommend anything. So, what is the point of the purchase? What is it you actually want to do with the car?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.