Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New to RC and need some ideas!!! >

New to RC and need some ideas!!!

New to RC and need some ideas!!!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Default the point

Sorry for not being clear, Im a guy who likes to learn new skills and build things all the time. So I recently was looking into rc cars because it seems to be right up my alley. Im looking for a kit car (no rtr stuff here!) that I can use for off road bashing as well as the ocasional race at my LHS. I like finding new ways to make things better (hence I asked about upgrades).

Im looking for a beginner car kit, thats easy to upgrade, can take a bit of a beating and maybe race every once in a blue moon.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by targetdg15
Sorry for not being clear, Im a guy who likes to learn new skills and build things all the time. So I recently was looking into rc cars because it seems to be right up my alley. Im looking for a kit car (no rtr stuff here!) that I can use for off road bashing as well as the ocasional race at my LHS. I like finding new ways to make things better (hence I asked about upgrades).

Im looking for a beginner car kit, thats easy to upgrade, can take a bit of a beating and maybe race every once in a blue moon.
The tamiya car is NOT the right car for you, but this hobby certainly is!. Your best bet in my opinion, is to find a new-in-box losi xxx-cr buggy kit. It's the same price as the tamiya, and is literally 100X better. They are recently discontinued as losi just released a brand new buggy, but they go for about $150 brand new, and maybe as low as $75 used. If you get a used one, you would be saving a ton of money, and you could rebuild it from the ground up to learn how it goes together. Parts are painfully cheap, and can be found everywhere. You will need to buy a radio, reciever, and servo to put in it. For a cheap speedo and motor, you can't get better performance for the dollar than the cirtix setup here:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tor-Combo-175T

This will be great for bashing, but will also be able to compete at the highest level in non-boost 17.5 stock class racing at your local track.