Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
5 yr old racing...Blitz or Slash?? >

5 yr old racing...Blitz or Slash??

5 yr old racing...Blitz or Slash??

Old 04-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Parts availability is not as issue. He is fairly conservative and I am teaching him driving "manners". Still not real sure what to get, but leaning towards the Blitz........just not a huge Traxxas fan.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by storytyme View Post
Thanks to everyone for their responses. Parts availability is not as issue. He is fairly conservative and I am teaching him driving "manners". Still not real sure what to get, but leaning towards the Blitz........just not a huge Traxxas fan.
Good choice if the parts are available

Only issues youll probably encounter are a broken rear camber link plate (just move ball studs to inner holes) and worn outdrives (strc is coming out with better ones).
Old 04-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by storytyme View Post
I know there are a lot of dads out there that take their kids to the track and when the track is quiet they try and get their kid to drive around cleanly with the hope they can join a novice race soon. I am at that point now. My son is turning 5 next month and I want to get him a short course for his birthday. He has been driving his 4wd 1/16 Slash and my SC10. He does okay and I feel he needs his own. I have narrowed it down to the BLITZ RTR or the SLASH.

Thoughts and experiences are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
5 year old? Slash 2wd is the the best choice. That thing is a tank and there are a zillion hop ups you can get for it. The Blitz is not bad either, though I would get the RTR version. Much more durable than the ESE. The Slash has much better RTR electronics though, probably the best of any RTR out there. The Blitz electronics are so-so. Very slow servo and no reverse lockout on the ESC. Both are top notch trucks.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

First of all, let me say, congratulations on being able to share this sport with your son. I think that's an awesome way for the two of you to spend time together and it allows you to spend more time at the track as well. It sounds like you're teaching him sportsmanship and how to drive and not just bash into people. Very important lessons not only in racing but in life in general. Racing teaches patience and sportsmanship. Now, you said you're goal is to get him to the point where he's running novice. So obviously you have track and racing in mind. Here's my suggestions. The Slash, while it is a great basher, it's not a great track truck and you want a truck that will allow him to be competitive as his skills improve. What you DON'T want is for him to become frustrated that he can't be competitive because the capabilities of his truck are a hindering his growth. You said you have an SC10, well in my opinion, get his the same truck you have, get him an SC10. Even the RTR can be a solid racer as long as you do a few mods. But even out of the box it's pretty solid, especially since he's probably running beginner class. The SC10 isn't even that much more expensive than the Slash, if at all either. As he gets better, you can also improve his truck as well. Not to mention, he's going to want the same kind of truck Daddy has! Then there's the fact that if you or he break something, it's easier to keep spares and replacement parts for one kind of vehicle and will benefit both of you. Do you really want to have to keep spares and tools for both trucks? Being able to share parts goes a long way!

I know he's only 5 and with a 5 year old, the development mentally can vary widely, but there's a 5 year old named Reese that races at both OCRC as well as WCRC and this kid got really good REALLY fast. Now he's regularly in the top 5 in Stock SC 2wd. Because he's so young, he also races beginner as well, but when he does he pretty much kills the field. Infact the kid is so good, that Associated GAVE him a truck and now basically is sponsoring him with flow. It's great, he's always wearing his Blue Associated T-shirt whenever I see him race. His father's very cool and doesn't push him either. The kid just loves to drive and gets it. He's obviously a virtuoso, but I've seen plenty of 5 year old kids be able to get around the track pretty well without crashing too often, they don't go fast, but they make it around without crashing. You can use things like teaching him to single rather than double in order to stay on his lid until he gets comfortable with the double without crashing. You know the whole "fast is slow, slow is fast" deal.

Sorry this is so long, just kinda ended up that way But my choice in your situation would be an SC10 RTR, or use this as an excuse to get a Factory Team SC10 and pull the FT parts and put them on your truck and replace them with the parts off of your truck, such as shocks etc.

Let us know what you choose. No matter what you choose, it'll be a very happy birthday for your son, after all, he's getting a brand new truck!!!
Old 04-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Bought a Slash 4x4 for my kids 6th birthday. Really like the fact I can buy parts everywhere, and that comes in very handy because they are brutal on parts. I started him on 50% power and after 6 months I am ready to bump his power up to 100%. I told him I will be watching his every move on the track next time we go, so if he screws up badly it's back 50%.

If the Blitz has a training mode (50% power) and you have access to local parts for it, then I wouldn't hesitate to get either one. Otherwise get the Slash for sure.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

+1 on Scotts response.

You have an SC10, get him the same. That way if he beats you, there's no excuse. lol
Old 04-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911 View Post
First of all, let me say, congratulations on being able to share this sport with your son. I think that's an awesome way for the two of you to spend time together and it allows you to spend more time at the track as well. It sounds like you're teaching him sportsmanship and how to drive and not just bash into people. Very important lessons not only in racing but in life in general. Racing teaches patience and sportsmanship. Now, you said you're goal is to get him to the point where he's running novice. So obviously you have track and racing in mind. Here's my suggestions. The Slash, while it is a great basher, it's not a great track truck and you want a truck that will allow him to be competitive as his skills improve. What you DON'T want is for him to become frustrated that he can't be competitive because the capabilities of his truck are a hindering his growth. You said you have an SC10, well in my opinion, get his the same truck you have, get him an SC10. Even the RTR can be a solid racer as long as you do a few mods. But even out of the box it's pretty solid, especially since he's probably running beginner class. The SC10 isn't even that much more expensive than the Slash, if at all either. As he gets better, you can also improve his truck as well. Not to mention, he's going to want the same kind of truck Daddy has! Then there's the fact that if you or he break something, it's easier to keep spares and replacement parts for one kind of vehicle and will benefit both of you. Do you really want to have to keep spares and tools for both trucks? Being able to share parts goes a long way!

I know he's only 5 and with a 5 year old, the development mentally can vary widely, but there's a 5 year old named Reese that races at both OCRC as well as WCRC and this kid got really good REALLY fast. Now he's regularly in the top 5 in Stock SC 2wd. Because he's so young, he also races beginner as well, but when he does he pretty much kills the field. Infact the kid is so good, that Associated GAVE him a truck and now basically is sponsoring him with flow. It's great, he's always wearing his Blue Associated T-shirt whenever I see him race. His father's very cool and doesn't push him either. The kid just loves to drive and gets it. He's obviously a virtuoso, but I've seen plenty of 5 year old kids be able to get around the track pretty well without crashing too often, they don't go fast, but they make it around without crashing. You can use things like teaching him to single rather than double in order to stay on his lid until he gets comfortable with the double without crashing. You know the whole "fast is slow, slow is fast" deal.

Sorry this is so long, just kinda ended up that way But my choice in your situation would be an SC10 RTR, or use this as an excuse to get a Factory Team SC10 and pull the FT parts and put them on your truck and replace them with the parts off of your truck, such as shocks etc.

Let us know what you choose. No matter what you choose, it'll be a very happy birthday for your son, after all, he's getting a brand new truck!!!
Great point. Never really thought about that in regards to parts. Appreciate the reply. I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

i too have a 5yr old that races with me. we have been through a slash and XXX4 buggy and have finally settled on an AE T4. it is very forgiving and as long as you put the RPM arms in the front you will be good! its a blast racing with your own kid win or lose, its the highlight of my day i run the offroad program here in houston and i even have a kids novice class! you should see them "high five-n", thumbs up and talking smack! here is a vid of my kid wheelin his truck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=getPidwf2bw

he drives this truck better than anything else , you would think because its 2wd it would be harder but he likes to "drift" and it makes him a better driver. i put a 17.5 in it for power and its perfect.