Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi/Horizon handling of the Xcelorin Debacle >

Losi/Horizon handling of the Xcelorin Debacle

Losi/Horizon handling of the Xcelorin Debacle

Old 04-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I think that the Losi product folks are awesome, Ryan, Trujillo, casper (though "just" a driver), those people care and would probably do anything for someone to be 100% happy with any losi product including taking sh*t for things they can't control and/or answering the same questions 14 or 15 times in a row. Judging by the qulaity of Losi stuff, I'm fairly certain that the culture there is consistent with the behavior of the folks that hang out and help folks on this board. The Horizon overlords, however, who knows? Everyone has a boss.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

My 8th scale exceloron worked twice a week for 3-4 months. It finally broke because I kept over shooting jumps and flat landing. I had exacly the same longevity from my MMM.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
This thread is why you should only buy product's that are a company's core competency. I only buy cars from car manufacturers. I rather buy my electronics from companies that focus on making electronics. Otherwise, you are just risking over paying for rebadged stuff with poor customer service. I highly doubt Losi is really set up operationally to deal with electronics issues.
EXACTLY!

Why buy someone elses cheap, rebadged knock off. To me, buying a Losi ESC is like buying one of those cheap chinese knock offs of other cars.

What does Losi actually make? Car kits, that's about it. Buy them with pride and run them. Want an esc, go to the experts in esc's, Tekin, Novak, Viper, LRP, etc.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
EXACTLY!

Why buy someone elses cheap, rebadged knock off. To me, buying a Losi ESC is like buying one of those cheap chinese knock offs of other cars.

What does Losi actually make? Car kits, that's about it. Buy them with pride and run them. Want an esc, go to the experts in esc's, Tekin, Novak, Viper, LRP, etc.
when i purchased my vorza, it came with a rebadged CC mmm and it works great.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That does sound frustrating and it's certainly a hard pill to swallow. By no means do I feel it's ok to strand the consumer, but if the QC was never there and they don't expect it to get better, then the term "garbage in and garbage out" comes to mind.

Im sure at one point (because of their decision) they were replacing more then selling and taking it on the chin each time.

At some point "they" had to make a call on supporting this garbage. Could they have done something more? OF course they could have, but we don't know the details on why they didn't. Could be a number of reasons why, but at the end of the day it wouldn't matter. The products no longer have support.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigben1165 View Post
when i purchased my vorza, it came with a rebadged CC mmm and it works great.
Right, which is HPI (& Traxxas) admitting that electronics is not their core competency so they outsource it to a specialized manufacturer like Castle with great products and customer service. That is a little different than basically trying to brand your own electronics like Losi did with Xceleron stuff.

Just to be clear, I ain't bashing Losi. I wouldn't buy Associated batteries. Mugen ESCs, or whatever else. I currently run two of their cars and had a third. Their business model is trying to capture all points of the car as the RTR mentality is what drives the vast majority of hobbyist and a large percentage of folks are unadulterated fan boys and can't believe that stuff with their favorite brand is just rebadged chinese crap. I just don't think it works as well for things like batteries and electronics as those items are very specialized and a company has to be setup to provide the service that hobbyist expect and most if not all car manufacturers are not equipped to deal with the service these items typically require.

Companies like Tekin, Castle, Viper, Novak, etc are setup to handle these issues since they really don't do anything else. Their employees have the technical knowledge and support systems to deal with the common issues.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
Right, which is HPI (& Traxxas) admitting that electronics is not their core competency so they outsource it to a specialized manufacturer like Castle with great products and customer service. That is a little different than basically trying to brand your own electronics like Losi did with Xceleron stuff.

Just to be clear, I ain't bashing Losi. I wouldn't buy Associated batteries. Mugen ESCs, or whatever else. I currently run two of their cars and had a third. Their business model is trying to capture all points of the car as the RTR mentality is what drives the vast majority of hobbyist and a large percentage of folks are unadulterated fan boys and can't believe that stuff with their favorite brand is just rebadged chinese crap. I just don't think it works as well for things like batteries and electronics as those items are very specialized and a company has to be setup to provide the service that hobbyist expect and most if not all car manufacturers are not equipped to deal with the service these items typically require.

Companies like Tekin, Castle, Viper, Novak, etc are setup to handle these issues since they really don't do anything else. Their employees have the technical knowledge and support systems to deal with the common issues.
i see what you are saying.