Vented V2 Slipper Hub >

Vented V2 Slipper Hub

Vented V2 Slipper Hub

Old 04-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Aoh
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
The holes aren't for heat, they cut down on glazied pads and make the slipper more consistant throughout the run.
^
Old 04-23-2011, 01:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Am i supposed to get my gear cover off then ?
Old 04-23-2011, 05:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

anybody tried the pads yet or been able to find a set?
Old 04-23-2011, 06:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

call me whatever you like cause this reply may be totally wrong but wouldnt it cut down on rotating mass a bit in the tranny. less weight maybe less resistance to a more effecient power train.... possibly
Old 04-23-2011, 06:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by x60Driver View Post
I have drilled and slotted rotors on my car and they help A LOT!! So I don't see why this won't help.

Ty
that's what you call placebo effect (or you put on better pads when you had the brakes done)

when you drill holes or slot brake rotors you're removing material that would otherwise be able to hold heat. You've still got the same total amount of heat to dissipate from braking, but now you've got less metal to hold that heat. The effect is that the remaining metal in the drilled/slotted rotor is hotter than a normal solid faced rotor (most of which are already vented with a large air channel between the inside and outside faces)

Drilled and to a lesser extent, slotted rotors are more likely to warp as well.

maybe you say, but racecars have cross drilled rotors (and they do), but racecars also have brake ducting that forces air through there.. street cars in general don't (a very small number do have actual brake ducting to flow air over the brakes)
Old 04-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Drilled, slotted, vented rotors, this is done to release the gas produced from high heat applications (racing/aggresive driving) for better rotor/pad contact.

artie's liver~ yes drilling a rotor removes material but at the same time it increases the surface area, which aids in cooling. 6 of one half dozen of another I guess...

Vented slipper~ even with a gear cover, the air inside is still going to stay much cooler than the disks and pads, so in theory the holes will help with cooling, again even with the gear cover on. Do they work, can't say....
Old 04-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artie's liver View Post
that's what you call placebo effect (or you put on better pads when you had the brakes done)

when you drill holes or slot brake rotors you're removing material that would otherwise be able to hold heat. You've still got the same total amount of heat to dissipate from braking, but now you've got less metal to hold that heat. The effect is that the remaining metal in the drilled/slotted rotor is hotter than a normal solid faced rotor (most of which are already vented with a large air channel between the inside and outside faces)

Drilled and to a lesser extent, slotted rotors are more likely to warp as well.

maybe you say, but racecars have cross drilled rotors (and they do), but racecars also have brake ducting that forces air through there.. street cars in general don't (a very small number do have actual brake ducting to flow air over the brakes)
Incorrect sir, on a fullsize car the brake pads emit a gas when heated up. The holes give a place for the gas to go, reducing brake fade. There isn't much noticed untill they're heated up.

I personally don't like cross drilled rotors, they tend to crack between the holes. Slotted rotors, without cross-drills are the way to go.

I can see these being of use on a slipper pad
Old 04-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dr_Isotope View Post
And who actually runs a gear cover?
Old 04-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Tech Adept

I don't know why, but for some reason I don't think that the slipper pad and brakes serve the same function

I do get what you guys are saying though in comparison

I'd think these new hubs are... completely wasted in the fact that it probably won't change a single thing in my truck I don't run my truck too hot and the rotating mass is already reduced enough. Cool idea and I'm sure it works. I know that AE (and other big companies) can make mistakes in things but I don't think they would make a product that costs more without actually testing to see if it is better