Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Boosted ESCs going away in off-road too? >

Boosted ESCs going away in off-road too?

Boosted ESCs going away in off-road too?

Old 04-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scottgir View Post
Actually Timmahh, stock was never about people who couldn't make the full 4 minutes. It was about 27 turns on 6 cells versus less than 27 turns on 7 cells (some modified guys ran 6 cell but not the smart ones LOL). It was about having a class where the idea is "let all the cars be equal and it be based on the driver".

Granted that wasn't the case because if you go back to when I started racing stock, you had JRX2's, Graphite RC10's racing against a grasshopper (or I should say racing around a grasshopper) but still.

I think there shouldn't be boost in stock. Kind of defeats the purpose. For those who want the latest and greatest and peak out every aspect of your car, you should race mod. For those people who are looking for a level playing field etc race environment, that's what stock should be for.

You also can't say you'd have to buy all new equipment to run non-boost stock. Just turn off your boost.

Just my $0.02 which is pretty meaningless LOL.
What I was getting at is that at one time you needed top notch equipment to go fast enough to be competitive and still have enough battery (or 4+ of them) to finish a race . Now you can go out and buy a $150 motor/esc and one $20 battery and be faster than most drivers can control if you wanted to.

I'm pretty sure my esc doesn't have a blinky mode which has been OK at club raves, but I'm sure it wouldn't be at a roar race.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

i think the 17.5 class will have the timing and non-timing class, everything else will be motor!
Old 04-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Team Tekin

We are good with a NT stock class. We all agree stock needs to be slower and even. We do not think this will necessarily provide the even everyone is looking for and we expect to smell a few motors in the mains like the old days. However we are a lot closer than we use to be in the magic motor and battery era.

Most tracks need a sportsman or novice class. Stock is not a beginner class, it is a very competitive class, the deepest at many tracks, and is a skill just like any other to carry speed and drive smooth compared to point and shoot. It is considered a drivers class, not a RTR entry point for newcomers.

We also need a middle class where the majority of people fall. Not slow and not whoa fast and guaranteed to need some spare parts. Fast enough that equipment does not really decide the race and you actually have to set it up well and drive it to win. Boost technologies are a great equalizer in that regard.

I do not understand the onroad argument that it is a needed skill to be able to drive a light switch mod motor. The point is to go faster around the track and more people can handle the mild mod rip with the mod top speed of a boosted setup. It makes sense to learn to handle the mod speeds before you try to tackle full mod acceleration. Boosted classes are the best training ground for mod, and as mentioned some are finding they can go as fast with a lot less motor that is boosted. Does mod have to be hard to drive and hard on all your equipment? Do we need a middle stock class, or a middle class that is mild mod to challenge the more adventurous. We are always trying to push people to mod so the less talented have a chance to win something and this is a mod class people can handle.

This hard to setup thing is crazy. A few seconds to set onboard boosted and non boosted profiles that are good enough for most are on most controllers. A few minutes if you want to tweak things a little more with a programmer. How can this be too hard in the age of cel phones and computers?

So the real question is do we allow existing esc’s with spec mode? Do we at least allow people a choice and the value of being able to run NT stock and a boosted class with the same equipment?

The other option is to ban almost all existing esc’s and require everyone to buy new systems.

Tekin Prez
Old 04-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Tech Adept

Well, if you don't like the way things are then people should just switch classes to find one that suits them or race at a track that does. My local track has us sign up and depending on who signs up and what they have/race we make the classes for that night..

Honestly, I think there should always be three 'speeds'.. Stock 'non-timing', superstock 'open esc', and modified.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This is on-road classes we run at our track in Memphis.

Novice silver can or 25.5 no boost
Sportsman 17.5 no boost
Expert 17.5 boost
Nitro 1/10 slower than Expert 17.5
VTA this year is a crossover from 21.5 no boost to 25.5 no boost (21.5 has a ratio limit 25.5 doesnt)

This allows a novice driver to purchase a package he can move somewhere with with a minimal repurchase of equipment. Also provides continuity from Sportsman to Expert.

At one of the X-Ray challenges there wasn't enough of a difference in 17.5 boosted and 13.5 boosted to make a difference. (Guy that won the 17.5 would have placed in top 5 of 13.5 WITH his 17.5... Top 3 in 13.5 were Paul L, Drew E, and Ralph B.)

I run a little bit of timing in my 4WD but I can honestly turn it off, if I need more speed then I just get a bigger motor.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thats the problem with racing IMHO, is that there are too many classes! I say just run 2wd buggy, 4wd buggy, Stadium Truck, 2wd Short Course and 4wd short course. Thats it. (Of course I am speaking for 1/10 electric off-road classes) Problem comes when you add all the sub classes like stock and mod, etc. Let them all run together.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

19 turn was the beginning of the end... Why have a middle class?
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Ok, but what about a middle class between "stock" and Mod?
Old 04-22-2011, 03:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It's too late boosted speedo's have already been allowed everywhere just dump stock all together and make everything mod . ROAR did nothing about it right off now it's too late . Boosted or not there are certain guys your just not going to beat deal with it . Or off road is going to end up like off road there will be more classes than racers .
Old 04-22-2011, 04:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Ok, but what about a middle class between "stock" and Mod?
that used to be the 19t (superstock)class. I think super stock should be boosted 17.5 now. Hell, it's as fast as any 13.5 or 19t used to ever be before boost and timing.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Oh and the 27 turn motors used to be cheap for the guys that didn't buy 10 at a time to dyno them and pick one of the bunch to race. Brushless motors are all the same price no matter what the turns. so the cost factor went right out the window with this technology. (kind of) they last longer though.