Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 E-buggy: 1 lipo VS 2 lipos cofiguration

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
I prefer 1 lipo for SIMPLICITY. Even if there are theoretical reasons why 2 lipo layouts might work better, the reality is that unless you are a top 10 driver, I doubt that difference will be noticed on the track by Joe Club Racer.

The reality is that the one lipo layout works best given the price of manufacturing, simplicity, and performance. In other words, it is the best overall solution, not necessarily the best solution. Often times, the best solution isn't the most practical. Beta was better than VHS. Tivo is better than your Cable DVR. Apple is better than a PC. At some point we will say 2 lipos is better than 1. However, just like in all those cases, other forces prevent the better technology from dominating.

There will never be battery swaps. Not needed. If we want to run longer mains it will be a combination of 1/8 cars getting lighter - see the ultra light Losi 810e thread I started which shows how much longer we can run with existing batteries if 1/8 cars weren't so porky (my 810 is 6.25lbs and I burn less than 125mah/minute on 6s). The other way is battery technology/efficiency will naturally improve, however, it will be many years before we see exponential gains.
I'm actually running my scte as fast or faster than my buggy through a full race, it's got me really leaning towards a 810 project :P 3s lipo w/ castle 3800 motor geared low... unless I find another 4pole 540 sized motor w/ a little lower kv rating.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:07 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
it's got me really leaning towards a 810 project :P
I just thought the same looking at the thread about lightweight e-buggies

Again a light car is possible (lighter motor on 2 or 3 cells) but will it perform as good on a outdoor track as standard e-buggies?
Old 05-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pulse_
I'm wondering why Durango and Serpent plan to sell a 2 lipos configuration of their nitro cars then? Do you think it will bring no gain?

It would have been much easier for them to sell a conversion, no?
To be honnest the new Durango and Serpent nitro cars where not that good. They look innovative and I think that's why people buy them. I don't say the cars are trash or bad, but Losi, Mugen, Xray are proven platforms and they still do better than the new cars.

I think they just go with the dual setup because people will think is innovative and thus better. So they'll buy it.

A very small car (hyper 9e or Tekno V4) is a lot more nimble than a wide car (saddle pack) because every time you change direction, a sidewards weighttransfer happens. And the wider the car, the longer it takes to complete the weighttransfer, because the distance is bigger. This results in a kind of lag/delay.
As long as their costumers think it's faster, they sell it.

All nitro cars have a higher COG than 1/8 brushlesscars, but the nitrocars are still faster around the track than brushless cars. And they feel so nimble, because they are made as small as possible.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by morgoth
, but the nitrocars are still faster around the track than brushless cars
Really?

I get you on the "As long as their costumers think it's faster, they sell it."

The more I look the 9E the more I like it. What buggies did you try in Mol?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated

There will never be battery swaps. Not needed. If we want to run longer mains it will be a combination of 1/8 cars getting lighter - see the ultra light Losi 810e thread I started which shows how much longer we can run with existing batteries if 1/8 cars weren't so porky (my 810 is 6.25lbs and I burn less than 125mah/minute on 6s). The other way is battery technology/efficiency will naturally improve, however, it will be many years before we see exponential gains.
I have to disagree with this one. We used to do battery swaps with onroad cars back in the 90's, so why not offroad cars now? There were quick change battery trays and the pits stops were about the same duration as nitro cars are today. The only place we will get to run longer mains is in races with nitros because ROAR is never going to make a 45 minute E-main. As such, we will have to play nicely with the nitros. We will have to obey their minimum weights and come in for a few pit stops. As long as we are in the pits we might as well make use of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rphw9...eature=related

Last edited by kufman; 05-10-2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Tech Champion

+1

Brands should definitely think about fast lipo changing systems. It's not hard to conceive and would be a game changer in longer races. All the rc world isn't a dependency of ROAR rules.

Actually I'm quite surprised they didn't think about it yet. 3 battery straps? Come on... We're living in 2011 the lipo change shouldn't take longer than the time you took to read my last sentence.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:03 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

This is the big debate right now.

MBX6E, 808E went for a classical 1 lipo configuration as they are conversions based on their nitro cars

Robitronic Vision, Caster Racing, TQ SX8E, DEX408 are going for a 2 lipos setup

The S811E will come at the end of the year maybe, but I've no idea what configuration they chose

What do you think will be the best setup to have a balanced E-buggy?
That is not correct. The 808e is not a conversion from the Nitro. It is a redesigned buggy.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by blade329
That is not correct. The 808e is not a conversion from the Nitro. It is a redesigned buggy.
How is it redesigned? They just put a battery tray and motor mount and the 808E is based on the 2010 nitro kit. I even talked about it with a guy from xray. The 808E is definitely not purpose built as well as the MBX6Eco, the MP9E etc.. Doesn't mean they don't go fast around a track, I'm just saying that if they would have thought their buggy to be electric from the beginning they would be much closer from a 9E for example
Old 05-10-2011, 11:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

How is it redesigned? They just put a battery tray and motor mount and the 808E is based on the 2010 nitro kit. I even talked about it with a guy from xray. The 808E is definitely not purpose built as well as the MBX6Eco, the MP9E etc.. Doesn't mean they don't go fast around a track, I'm just saying that if they would have thought their buggy to be electric from the beginning they would be much closer from a 9E for example
They reviewed that buggy in X-Treme RC last issue. That's what they said.

It sounds like "purpose built" is in the eye of the beholder. What is "purpose built"?

I'm going to be giving the dual pack setup a try in my Ve8 this week. This will be my first time driving a dual pack setup buggy. We'll see how it compares to the 1 pack setup. Part of the beauty of the HHH chassis is that you can have multiple setup options. It's a "purpose built" e-chassis.

Last edited by blade329; 05-10-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Tech Champion

It's just a question of words then . When I say purpose built I mean conceived from the beginning to be an electric buggy. The electric technology wasn't at the origin of the design on most actual e-buggies, they just adapted nitro chassis to accept brushless systems. It's not bad or good, just a fact.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kufman
I have to disagree with this one. We used to do battery swaps with onroad cars back in the 90's, so why not offroad cars now? There were quick change battery trays and the pits stops were about the same duration as nitro cars are today. The only place we will get to run longer mains is in races with nitros because ROAR is never going to make a 45 minute E-main. As such, we will have to place nicely with the nitros. We will have to obey their minimum weights and come in for a few pit stops. As long as we are in the pits we might as well make use of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rphw9...eature=related
Only way I can see battery swaps happening is if there is some standardization of battery sizes. Since ROAR likes rules, maybe they can come up with a standard lipo size. I can see a type of click in hardcase pack with no plugs. Kind of like a cartridge on power tools or something.

Personally, I am not a big fan of long races. Anything longer than 15-20 minutes just seem to be a waste. Yeah, some of the super star pro's may all finish on the same laps with 45 min nitro mains and some like pit strategy, but at the club level rarely will you find a tight race after 10 or 15 min.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:12 PM
HH
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Clean setup, ive seen this before in the other thread and exactly how I would do it if it were mine.. with my 1/8 I stick with an ec5 connector, no chance of a screw up doing a battery swap in the middle of a main.. I could easily swap my packs in 1/2 the time if not less than the shown setup with my ebuggy with 1 pack. Does one pack throw mine off balance or have driving issues? Nope.... so what is the arguement again? LOL
There is no argument as far as I'm concerned .
In fact I think we are in agreement for most things e.g. I too believe that EC5's are the best connector available, I also stated in my first post in this thread that you can achieve a perfectly balanced buggy with either a single-battery setup or a dual-battery saddle pack setup.

Also, agreed, it is clearly more simplistic to use a single-battery pack, I'm just saying that does not somehow mean it is mysteriously difficult to run dual-batteries connected in series, because this too is a very safe and simple task.

No doubt that doing a battery swap mid-race for long mains is much more feasible with a single-battery pack. However, as Edumakated knows well, and thanks in part to his assistance, I have been completing 20 minute mains on a regular basis with my E-buggy without a battery swap for the past several months using the alternative approach for setting up an E-buggy to compete in long mains which is running a high-voltage low-Kv setup. IMO this type of setup is better suited for a dual-battery saddle pack configurations primarily due to the fact that you can run a 6s system using 3s+3s and still keep your CG lower than most buggies running a single 4s battery setup. The single-battery 6s setups can get ridiculously top heavy along with sometimes making it next to impossible to even attach the body. But granted, if I want to finish a 30 minute main I would prefer a single-battery setup so I was able to swap mid-race. I'm just sayin...

Durango lost yet another large event.. if you look at the records.. the losi (single lipo) is the most winning truck out in the 4x4 class. Even the sc10 4x4(again single lipo) has a more winning record than the durango, so that elegant 2 lipo design does nothing to keep it from getting beat.. and I'm not saying some people at some events have not won w/ the durago, obviously they have. This year I'm turning lap times w/ my scte with-in a second or so of the pro-buggy drivers too.. point? I was two laps over the faster of the two durango's at our races as well.. again point? The durango is not faster on a track and split lipo's does nothing to give it an advantage, this was my only point.
Again, I understand what you are saying clearly, but you have missed my point, that is if those drivers swapped vehicles you would very likely see the same three drivers on the podium the only difference being they would have won with a Durango. Losi's win more because the Top drivers are more likely to be sponsored by Losi (or another top level manufacturer) and it is far less likely for the best drivers to be sponsored by Durango. Likewise, those Durangos that you've been puttin' a whoopin' on with your SCTE, would still be gettin' whooped by you even if they drove SCTE's and you were driving a Durango.

I'm not even saying that the Durango is a better 4wd SCT than a Losi or an AE. I simply responded to your statement that having the batteries located directly under the rear center driveshaft on the centerline axis of the chassis "offers no advantage". I AM saying that from an engineering standpoint, that specific feature of the Durango is superior and it has nothing to do with whether it is a single-battery pack or two-battery packs

It's a nice truck, but it's not a game changer.. I've driven one and wouldn't take it over my scte if you paid me.
First of all.. I wouldn't pay you! But if someone did pay you.. enough.. lol. Then YES, you would be lovin' the Durango! I know I would! You'd be wearing the Durango hat.. sportin' a Durango t-shirt.. Durango stickers on the back window of your Dodge Durango..

I'm not sure how much you think can change from nitro buggy to e-buggy.. lol the basics of the vehicle have to remain the same other than the motor and type of 'fuel'.
There are a lot of things that can be changed to improve the performance with a purpose-built electric platform.
A good example which is only the very beginning is the Tekno V4 as it is superior to all of the OEM versions it replaces.

How is an electric a-arm different than a nitro aarm? why would they switch? lost me... :P
It's not, that was only used as a simple example in reference to why the top manufacturers used their 1:8 scale nitro platforms for their 1:8 scale Electric vehicles. Their motivation was due to the extreme differences between the initial "money up front" cost of manufacturing any given original RC car part or component for the very first time, which can total well over $20k? $30k? $40k?, for something as simple as a injection molded plastic A-arm that might only cost pennies each to produce thereafter. Therefore, to build a truly original purpose-built 1:8 scale electric platform from scratch would require the type of funding that could become catastrophic to some smaller companies if the intended market isn't sufficient to return the investment.

8ight-e... you should come on out to ARC Raceway for the next race in their Spring Shootout Series on 5/21/11. They have a 1:8 scale Open Electric Class and 2wd and 4wd SCT classes. And I know you'll love this... the winner of the SCT class gets a brand new Durango 4wd SCT kit!
Old 05-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by v1r killer
i run finals with nitros and need to do a batt change so i cant see how a 2 batt system could work in a speed race of a change out during a final 30 min +
+1

With a small 3300mAh battery and a rather heavy motor, even my converted MBX6 is close to perfect balance...

Last edited by stigno; 05-10-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kufman

3. Batteries are way out from the center line of the chassis and sitting on the back corners of the chassis. Not so good for quick direction changes or rough track conditions. Also, the weight of the motor and batteries is stretched along the entire length of the chassis. This will make for a stable car in flight, but not very nimble and it will transfer a lot of weight back to front when getting on the brakes or the gas.
I think you are on to something. Yes, a low center of gravity is a good thing, but is not the only consideration. Low moments of inertia are very very important as well (unless one only drag races), provides for a nimble and responsive turning and jumping car.

Good engineering is always about balancing many conflicting requirements. Generally focusing on one aspect leads to a less than ideal solution. Not saying that’s necessarily the case here, but if so it’s not real obvious from the discussion.

Well played for an electrical train driver. (just funning a little, I like reading your posts)
Old 05-10-2011, 02:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

i run finals with nitros and need to do a batt change so i cant see how a 2 batt system could work in a speed race of a change out during a final 30 min +
It wouldn't. I think the goal though is to be able to run long races without a battery change. I was able to run a 20 minute main in my RC8Be with a 5600mah 4S and 1800kv motor. Came in 5th, but that was because I couldn't drive that buggy worth a darn. Would have done much better with HHH Ve8.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.