Search

Tekin Motor & ESC PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tekin Motor & ESC PLEASE HELP!

What temps are you guys seeing?
My motor stays a constant 170-180F, I can't seem to get it below that!. I have it geared exactly what Randy said to gear it on (20/46) for the RC8Be.
Saturday my ESC got up to 212F!!! I was like holy sh@t!!! Turns out my fan just stopped working. I let it cool down a bit and the fan started working again then quit again. I assume the car went into thermal shutdown because my Lipo was not at the cut off point yet and my car stopped working. After it cooled down it did start to work again. I even have my windsheail cut out, and two HUGE vent holes in the sides. I am running 4s lipo as well. What's the chance I could have meesed anything up? It was about 90-95F outside that day.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Try a new cooling fan
Old 04-20-2011, 08:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by raptor33
Try a new cooling fan
Yes, I plan on that!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:41 AM
AMZ
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Go 1 tooth smaller on the pinion, that should be good for 10-20 degrees, which might be just enough cooler.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Tech Champion

What motor do you use?

What is your brake setup?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Pulse_
What motor do you use?

What is your brake setup?
Motor is T8 2250.
Brake is 70%.
Drag Brake is 0.
Timing is 10.
Throttle type is 3.
Voltage cut off is 13v.
Reverse speed is 50%.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:55 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Hmmm.... 20T sounds a bit high to me, but if thats what Randy told ya I'm sure it's alright...

What surface are you running on? Is this on a track or are you running in deep grass or something?

ALOT of guys don't even run the ESC fan... So I'm more concerned with your high ESC temps than the high motor temps at this point...

When you say 212 degrees on the ESC... How many of the onboard temp display lights were lighting up?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DavidR
Hmmm.... 20T sounds a bit high to me, but if thats what Randy told ya I'm sure it's alright...

What surface are you running on? Is this on a track or are you running in deep grass or something?

ALOT of guys don't even run the ESC fan... So I'm more concerned with your high ESC temps than the high motor temps at this point...

When you say 212 degrees on the ESC... How many of the onboard temp display lights were lighting up?
All of them were lit up when I temped it. When the car thermaled I think lights 135 or 357 were on. That indicated either LVC or Thermal. I am very concerned too and thank you for any help you can offer!

Here is a vid (thats me driving) of the track, it's small, kind of hard clay with loose sand. It's hard to describe. It's not the greatest track but it's 10 minutes from my house and it beats the street anyday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToliyG5Eyfk
Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Tech Regular

way too much motor for that track. i would think it would come off cool rather than hot since you really cant get on the throttle anywhere.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by iThinman
way too much motor for that track. i would think it would come off cool rather than hot since you really cant get on the throttle anywhere.

That's what I was thinking too but it still gets too hot. Yeah I have the throttle to 70% and can still barely get on it. I have four other tracks but this is the closest. A new track will be open in May and it's a true 1/8 track.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Here are a few things to try that I think will help you get those temp's down to a more respectable level.

1. Turn the Timing Profile to 1 (Zero Timing) The track your running on isn't big enough to really benefit from any timing with the motor your have.

2. On your current set-up I didnt see anything about any current limiter, alot of people over look this feature. On a track as loose as the one in the video I would turn the limiter to about 80-85. This will help with excessive wheelspin in the loose dirt on initial hits of the throttle.

3. Take the Fan out completely. 99% of the time the esc is fine with out one.

I would try these things first and check your temps. If they are still over 180 then start dropping the gearing. Also make sure your drivetrain is free, any sort of binding will cause the esc/motor to work harder.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by yzracer758
Here are a few things to try that I think will help you get those temp's down to a more respectable level.

1. Turn the Timing Profile to 1 (Zero Timing) The track your running on isn't big enough to really benefit from any timing with the motor your have.

2. On your current set-up I didnt see anything about any current limiter, alot of people over look this feature. On a track as loose as the one in the video I would turn the limiter to about 80-85. This will help with excessive wheelspin in the loose dirt on initial hits of the throttle.

3. Take the Fan out completely. 99% of the time the esc is fine with out one.

I would try these things first and check your temps. If they are still over 180 then start dropping the gearing. Also make sure your drivetrain is free, any sort of binding will cause the esc/motor to work harder.

Thanks for the input. I will try everything you said.
On the throttle profile go from 3 to 1 correct?
On the thottle limitor I have it set to 70% so keep it here right?
I will take timing to 0 as well.
No binding, I completely rebuilt the drivetrain before the race. all new diff fluid gaskets ect.!
I will take the fan out as well.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by castleblows
Thanks for the input. I will try everything you said.
On the throttle profile go from 3 to 1 correct?
On the thottle limitor I have it set to 70% so keep it here right?
I will take timing to 0 as well.
No binding, I completely rebuilt the drivetrain before the race. all new diff fluid gaskets ect.!
I will take the fan out as well.
Throttle profile 3 is fine. Its the Timing Profile that needs to be changed to 1

The current limiter set at 70 would be correct.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by yzracer758
Throttle profile 3 is fine. Its the Timing Profile that needs to be changed to 1

The current limiter set at 70 would be correct.
Timing doesn't have a profile, that I know of, isn't it just a number from 0-100? I have mine set on 10. So I will take it to 0. Do you think this will keep the temps down?
Seems like I had it set to almost what you suggested except for the timing.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:37 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

I'd also drop at LEAST 2 teeth on the pinion for that track.. Maybe even 3.

You're not even coming CLOSE to topping out on the straightaway.... It's just too short a straight.

I always try to gear so that I'm just about maxed out 3/4 of the way down the straight... You'll probably never be able to get there with that motor on that short straight, but you'll be closer.

Combine that with what yzracer above has said.. I think you'll be in the ballpark.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.