Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Will Lipo Batteries Be The Best We Ever Get? >

Will Lipo Batteries Be The Best We Ever Get?

Will Lipo Batteries Be The Best We Ever Get?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Will Lipo Batteries Be The Best We Ever Get?

Hey everyone i just wanted to start a thread on seeing what people think about batteries. The question i want to ask is do you think that we will ever see anything better then lipo's? Im by absolutely no means putting down lipo's as they are the best innovation possible for rc. But what do you think? Will there ever be something that over takes lipo's just like lipo's over took Nicd and NiMh?
Old 04-20-2011, 02:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HotBodiesVe8Boy View Post
Hey everyone i just wanted to start a thread on seeing what people think about batteries. The question i want to ask is do you think that we will ever see anything better then lipo's? Im by absolutely no means putting down lipo's as they are the best innovation possible for rc. But what do you think? Will there ever be something that over takes lipo's just like lipo's over took Nicd and NiMh?
No, Lipos will be the best battery forever.
~Signed, 1990's Nokia 5190

I'm just messin with ya! Because the world relies upon battery technology more so now than ever before, the battery technology will get better and better. We're kind of in a golden age for battery technology right now because of the importance in finding better battery technology for current, upcoming and future electric cars. Not to mention the needed improvements in battery technology in devices such as cell phones and laptop computers etc. I do think Lipos will probably be the hobby standard for the next few years, however I also think that within the next 3-5 years, new battery technologies will be introduced to the hobby. One problem that our hobby faces when trying to apply new battery technologies is that the current ESC's/Rx's/Servo's/motors may not be compatible. This would definitely slow down the development. I think the next big advance in RC's battery technology will be Batteries that charge ultra fast due to advancements in the media used in Lipo batteries. I think in the next 2-3 years, we could be looking at 5-10 minute charge times for a 5000mah 7.4v battery pack. That would be a huge advance in technology. Also, I could see the packs getting smaller to the point where a normal 5000mah 7.4v pack may be the same size as one of the current lipo battery packs that people would use for a Rx such as a 1300mah 7.4v 2s pack. This doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but imagine the implications of a pack that small, it would allow the cars to become much better balanced as well as have lower center of gravity.

On another note, I have a feeling that the advancements in brushless motors are still advancing significantly and we'll start seeing motors that are MUCH more powerful in much smaller sizes. Think of 540 can motors that are just as powerful as current 1/8th scale can's and will also be able to handle the volts of a 6s battery as well. Infact, I could be wrong, but I think that capability is quite close and the ESC's are probably weakest link between battery and motor tech advancements currently.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911 View Post
No, Lipos will be the best battery forever.
~Signed, 1990's Nokia 5190

I'm just messin with ya! Because the world relies upon battery technology more so now than ever before, the battery technology will get better and better. We're kind of in a golden age for battery technology right now because of the importance in finding better battery technology for current, upcoming and future electric cars. Not to mention the needed improvements in battery technology in devices such as cell phones and laptop computers etc. I do think Lipos will probably be the hobby standard for the next few years, however I also think that within the next 3-5 years, new battery technologies will be introduced to the hobby. One problem that our hobby faces when trying to apply new battery technologies is that the current ESC's/Rx's/Servo's/motors may not be compatible. This would definitely slow down the development. I think the next big advance in RC's battery technology will be Batteries that charge ultra fast due to advancements in the media used in Lipo batteries. I think in the next 2-3 years, we could be looking at 5-10 minute charge times for a 5000mah 7.4v battery pack. That would be a huge advance in technology. Also, I could see the packs getting smaller to the point where a normal 5000mah 7.4v pack may be the same size as one of the current lipo battery packs that people would use for a Rx such as a 1300mah 7.4v 2s pack. This doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but imagine the implications of a pack that small, it would allow the cars to become much better balanced as well as have lower center of gravity.

On another note, I have a feeling that the advancements in brushless motors are still advancing significantly and we'll start seeing motors that are MUCH more powerful in much smaller sizes. Think of 540 can motors that are just as powerful as current 1/8th scale can's and will also be able to handle the volts of a 6s battery as well. Infact, I could be wrong, but I think that capability is quite close and the ESC's are probably weakest link between battery and motor tech advancements currently.
couldn't have said it better myself. i completely agree with this one! no matter how good things get, it will only get better!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:22 AM
Tech Elite

A smartphone is more powerful than a computer from 30 years ago.
Technology is constantly changing and getting better. It's hard to predict how things will change, but they will change.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

ive always thought that with testing there are consequences. Would the world ever be blown up due to testing of a product that goes bad?
Old 04-20-2011, 03:58 AM
Tech Regular

ive always thought that with testing there are consequences. Would the world ever be blown up due to testing of a product that goes bad?
only time will tell
Old 04-20-2011, 04:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

does it give you chills to think of what people like huge companys that test alot of dangerous stuff out? Give's me the chills :L
Old 04-20-2011, 04:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I think batteries are bound to get heaps better. Firstly the safety aspect of larger capacity lipos is a fairly major concern that will surely limit there viability in alot of applications. I cant wait to see a AAA size battery that puts out 150 amps.

Funny you mention this. I was talking to my boss the other day and he told me about a company that is playing with technology that is close to splitting atoms. The facility is buried somewhere way deep under ground.

Imagine what the consequences of that going wrong are
Old 04-20-2011, 05:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

I love LiPo

Not to get off track but.....

As for hybrid cars...check out Canada where they make the batteries for them.

A google sat map shows a dead zone around the plant.

Not very green if you ask me.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

atoms are not something people should be "testing" with you would think :L
They say we started with a big bang, by the looks of it we could end with one too :L
Old 04-20-2011, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

I imagine 15 years ago rc'ers were asking if NiMh was as good as it was going to get...lol
Old 04-20-2011, 06:11 AM
Tech Adept

Batteries will continue to get better. If you look how far they have come in just the last 4 years it's amazing! The new problem right now is the (power source) to charge them. Most ''plug in" AC/DC power inverters can only put out 10 to 12amps. If you have a 40c 5000mah pack that can be charged at a 5c rating, thats 25amps!! The batteries ability to be fast charged is there. The chargers and power sources are just playing catch up.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

yeh but u can get 30a chargers and 30a power suppiles already
Old 04-20-2011, 06:36 AM
Tech Adept

yeh but u can get 30a chargers and 30a power suppiles already
I don't think you could get them a year ago. They just came out with some chargers that will do 4 packs @ once! Power sources aren't there yet as far as I know. I also fly giant scale rc planes. It's not uncommon to see 20 lipo cells powering some of these things with brushless motors bigger than a "soft ball".
Old 04-20-2011, 06:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Power sources is no problem . I have a 35 amp power supply that I bought back in the early 90`s . They are still out there , just need to look for them .

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service