Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Will Lipo Batteries Be The Best We Ever Get? >

Will Lipo Batteries Be The Best We Ever Get?

Will Lipo Batteries Be The Best We Ever Get?

Old 04-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
This is not correct with current lipo chemistry.
Ok, if you say so, than take a (1c) charge rated pack and charge it @ a (5c rate) and let me know how it works out for ya!!
Old 04-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by arrtay View Post
DO NOT TAKE THIS THREAD AS GOOD ADVISE ON CHARGING BATTERIES!!
You can't just take any batteries and throw a ton of current @ them. They could catch fire or explode! Also, just because you can; doesen't mean you should. Your batterys will last longer and "put out" better by being (balanced) and charged @ a lower current. (1c or even lower)
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
This is not correct with current lipo chemistry.
Yes it is !
Old 04-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Ok, if you say so, than take a (1c) charge rated pack and charge it @ a (5c rate) and let me know how it works out for ya!!
Most newer lipos are rated at higher charge rates. Even the cheapo lipos are usually rated at 2c charge rates. All my packs now are 5 or 6c rated. I charge at 3 or 4c minimum now. Read your labels. Of course you shouldn't charge a 1c rated pack at higher amps.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

The next big thing?

How about racing r/c without batteries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgBYQh4zC2Y
Old 04-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
Most newer lipos are rated at higher charge rates. Even the cheapo lipos are usually rated at 2c charge rates. All my packs now are 5 or 6c rated. I charge at 3 or 4c minimum now. Read your labels. Of course you shouldn't charge a 1c rated pack at higher amps.
Just because something is rated at more than 1c charge rate doesn't mean squat really.

Charging them at a 1c charge rate is still highly suggested on basically all batteries.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default The Ultimate Battery For RC Use- May Be No Battery At All.

A very good friend of mine, retired from NASA, explain to me that the technology for transmitting electricity wirelessly, enough to power full size automobiles, is already here(NASA has test the technology and it works). He explain that this technology can safely power a full size electric automobile.

That said- it's clear this wireless electricity transmission would also be sufficient for electric rc model use. My friend also state that the technology is no more dangerous than that which we already widely use today with satellite transmission of television to residential homes.

My understanding is that we would use a receiver(no battery), which would receive the needed electricity, which would power the RC's electronics, and Brushless electric motor.

PS. On a side note: I've been running one CellPro Powerlab 8(40amp 1344watt) Battery Charger for about one year now, balance charging at a minimum of 30amps- which takes 6 to 10 minutes to charge my 2cell or 3cell 5200mah 50c Thunder Power LiPo's. I use the 43amp Common Sense RC Power Supply which sells for just over 100.oo. If you use a battery larger than a 3cell and would like to charge at rates of 40amps(provided your lipo's can accept such a quick charge- see the maximum charge c rating of any given battery) you will need a more powerful power supply.

Thunder Power now has LiPo's which can accept a 12c quick charge(See Thunder Power G6 Series). To find the maximum charge amps such a battery can accept- multiply the 12 from 12c, by the Mah of the LiPo. For example, 12c x 5000Mah = 12 x 5 = 60amps maximum charge rate. And as stated by Thunder Power, this is with zero battery life loss. These will be my next LiPo. Although my charger will only charge up to 40amps. So it seems this far, battery technology is again ahead of the abilities of the latest and greatest high powered balance chargers/battery workstations.

Before ever charging these LiPo's at 30amps, I double check with Thunder Power that this is safe, and will not reduce the life of these batteries. Thunder Power assured me that there is zero life loss with their G4 LiPo's(also see Thunder Powers G6 series- accept a 12c quick charge) and they offer a 2year warranty and that if I experience any life loss, power loss, or any problems- the batteries will be replaced free of charge.

That said, my original 40c Thunder Power LiPo's had begun to lose power after one year of use, which Thunder Power replaced with the new model 50c lipo's. And I had always charge the 40c LiPos at 5amps(1c charge rate). So far, I've been charging the 50c LiPo's for one year now- at 30amps, with back to back all day charge and run and charge and run- without any cool down time(LiPo never exceeds 99degrees while running in my 1/8th scale buggy) and stays about five degrees within room temperature while charging at 30amps.

Last edited by MindThoughts; 04-21-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by twigman08 View Post
Just because something is rated at more than 1c charge rate doesn't mean squat really.

Charging them at a 1c charge rate is still highly suggested on basically all batteries.
Thunder power g4 packs "capable of being charged safely up to 6c for ultra fast charging times Of 10 minutes or less with NO REDUCTION IN LIFE CYCLE DELIVERY"

I've been utilizing faster charging since last summer with no issues. I now have a power lab 8 and charge all my packs at 20 amps. You guys can sit around shooting the shit waiting on trickle charges for an hour. I'll take my 15 minutes or less charge times using today's technology. Lipo chemistry is significantly more stable than it was from a couple of years ago. I haven't had any loss in power in any of my lipos that are rated for higher charge rates.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JMYBFFT View Post
The next big thing?

Considering the aperage levels our cars use, I will never marshal on a track that uses that technology!!
Old 04-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Adept

Very interesting last coulple posts! So bada$$ powersupplies + bada$$ chargers + bada$$ batteries = fast, "safe" charge rates;and the batteries can still take more!!! Bottom line... You can still get 4 (good batteries) for the price of 1 Thunderpower. I guess i'm just too cheap for thunderpower.Lol!! In probably a year or two from now most batts. will prob. charge @ 12c for less than half the price. That is if things keep going the way they are; and the world doesen't end first!!
Old 04-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Very interesting last coulple posts! So bada$$ powersupplies + bada$$ chargers + bada$$ batteries = fast, "safe" charge rates;and the batteries can still take more!!! Bottom line... You can still get 4 (good batteries) for the price of 1 Thunderpower. I guess i'm just too cheap for thunderpower.Lol!! In probably a year or two from now most batts. will prob. charge @ 12c for less than half the price. That is if things keep going the way they are; and the world doesen't end first!!
I use Turnigy Nano-techs and their charge rates depending on battery are rated between 5c and 10c. I charge all my Nano-techs at 2c and they've been going strong for almost a year. I'd charge at a higher c rating but my power supply isn't strong enough. Maybe time for a new one...
Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JMYBFFT View Post
The next big thing?

Unfortunately, that technology is not very Green because it is very inefficient.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Batteries with a recommended 1C charge rate are not "current" lipo chemistry. If a pack is said to charge at 1C then do so. Maybe I missed the part where you were specificaly talking about 1C rated packs? My point was that charging a 5C charge rated pack at 1C will gain you nothing.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Where and by who?

I'm starting to worry that you might own firearms..
Old 04-22-2011, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

LiPo chemistries have changed. Just like we are no longer restricted to discharge rates of 15C, we are no longer restricted to charge rates of 1C. It all depends on what is mixed with the Lithium. In some respects, LiPo batteries have lagged behind technologies like the A123 batteries. Since their introduction, A123 cells have been capable of multiple C-rate charging and it really doesn't affect the overall lifetime of the cells. Now LiPo it catching up.