Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Will Lipo Batteries Be The Best We Ever Get? >

Will Lipo Batteries Be The Best We Ever Get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Lipo Batteries Be The Best We Ever Get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by arrtay
I just talked to my buddy, he has the new bad a$$ (thunder power) charger and it will only allow a max charge rate of 20amps per battery pack. Does anybody know of a charger that will do better than that?
iCharger 3010 - 30 amps
iCharger 306 - 30 amps
FMA Powerlab PL8 - 40 amps
Hyperion 0730 - 30 amps

http://www.progressiverc.com/index.p...-chargers.html

http://hyperion-world.com/products/p...P-EOS0730iNET3
Old 04-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

Nice!!
Old 04-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

+1 on the FMA chargers, im surprised their stuff is not more popular.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:21 PM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Battery technology doesn't advance nearly as fast as say microprocessor technology. Battery innovations and alternative energy breakthroughs are very hard to come by, and is the one thing that is hindering huge advancements in alternative energy cars. As of now, lithium based batteries are the latest technology. Huge investments are made in lithium mining particularly in Chile.

There are capacitor based battery technology that is out, particularly some that use barium titanate nano powders, but the energy density of these materials just isn't as high as lithium based batteries.

Are lithium base batteries the best we will see? No. But it may be some time before we make a breakthrough that will take over lithium batteries.

The next advancements in the world of rc will be faster charge times and much more stable batteries. They already have this for laptop and cell phone batteries.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey everyone.
Well i brought a $100 i-charger because really i dont need anything else its the 10a one and i brought a 30a power supply for $100. Both brand new. Now heres the thing ive got one protek rc 5400mah 35c battery, and two turnigy 4500mah 30-40c batterys. How long will it take to charge the turnigys at 10a from near flat?
thanks
Old 04-21-2011, 02:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HotBodiesVe8Boy
Hey everyone.
Well i brought a $100 i-charger because really i dont need anything else its the 10a one and i brought a 30a power supply for $100. Both brand new. Now heres the thing ive got one protek rc 5400mah 35c battery, and two turnigy 4500mah 30-40c batterys. How long will it take to charge the turnigys at 10a from near flat?
thanks
Are they the regular Turnigy's or the Turnigy Nanotechs. The Nanotechs I know you can charge at 10a no problem, but the regular Turnigy's I believe are only 1c capable (I could be wrong) which would only be 4.5 amps and will take about 40 minutes I'm assuming these are 2s or 3s batteries. If they are the Nanotechs, then charging at 2c+ rate, then probably only be about 20-30 minutes.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nogas
I think batteries are bound to get heaps better. Firstly the safety aspect of larger capacity lipos is a fairly major concern that will surely limit there viability in alot of applications. I cant wait to see a AAA size battery that puts out 150 amps.

Funny you mention this. I was talking to my boss the other day and he told me about a company that is playing with technology that is close to splitting atoms. The facility is buried somewhere way deep under ground.

Imagine what the consequences of that going wrong are
The LHC or Large Hadron Collider is doing just that. Of all the technologies that exist, electricity is the most widely used. It is probably the one single technology that separates us from the lesser forms of life. Storage and deployment SAFELY is probably the single largest issue. Look at LiPo's now. If allowed to go too low, they will catch fire. Over charge, and they will catch fire. Used properly, they are awesome. The hardest part of a cutting edge technology is releasing it to the untrained who will probably do just that. Older ESC's with out LVC are being used. You know that. Chargers that are shoving too many amps are also being used. Out of ignorance or lack of concern could be the issue. Doesn't matter, the results will be the same. I'm an older guy. I remember taking the battery charger and charging my old Eveready batteries. Till I had one so hot I couldn't hold it and the end suddenly disappeared. Blew up in my hand. I wasn't hurt, but it scared the crap out of me. We are our own worst enemy. That is what holds up the cutting edge technology from being released to us. I can assure you there's some pretty good things in the works. It takes several years from inception to release.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:22 AM
Tech Rookie

I think the question should be about getting better power sources for electricity. Not necessarily batteries but technology like fuel cells can one day have huge change on all things rc. Or not.

Battery technology is one other area of technology which absolutely needs to go through big advances. Electric cars is one big push for the automotive industry and the biggest problem for electric cars is the batteries. They weight just too much. So battery tech will defenately improve and hopefully we see something big in next decade. Or maybe some other tech. Imagine using hydrogen or liquid nitrogen in rc cars one day!

As for electric motors they are already pretty darn advanced. Even for electric cars the motors are already small, efficient and reliable. Meaning that there isn't all that much capacity to be found unless you invent some new technology. What's the next brushless tech? Majority of the energy costs of technological industry is from using electric motors. Majority of the energy the factories use is used by electric motors. So there is huge push for better cost effectiveness. This will also show in development of rc motors.

Everything can be safe and dangerous. For rc cars we use lipo cells, nimh cells, nitro fuel and gasoline. I have used every one of those but not gasoline in rc cars. Every one of those is relatively safe but if I had kids I'd be really cautious about how and where my nitro fuel is stored. Nimh and lipo I consider pretty safe. And easy to hide lol. Both will go up in flames if used wrongly. Just like everthing in life
Old 04-21-2011, 06:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by HotBodiesVe8Boy
Hey everyone.
thanks
DO NOT TAKE THIS THREAD AS GOOD ADVISE ON CHARGING BATTERIES!!
You can't just take any batteries and throw a ton of current @ them. They could catch fire or explode! Also, just because you can; doesen't mean you should. Your batterys will last longer and "put out" better by being (balanced) and charged @ a lower current. (1c or even lower)
Old 04-21-2011, 08:33 AM
pgk
Tech Adept

Sorry if this was mentioned already, but have you guys heard of Metal Air Ionic Liquid "Mail" for short. ASU received a grant to go forward with this technolgy. Looks to be quite impressive not to mention alot easier and cheaper to get than lithium. I tried to copy and paste the link but evidently I'm not allowed to do that yet Just google "MAIL Battery" and it should come up at the top
blog.energy.gov and check out the article..

Pete

Last edited by pgk; 04-21-2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: spelling ):
Old 04-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigben1165
+1 on the FMA chargers, im surprised their stuff is not more popular.
I have the PowerLab 8 and it's pretty amazing.
1344 watts, 40 amp charge rate, as many packs in parallel as you could want and even shows discharge graphs among other things! At $250+ and still needing a power supply they are very spendy but awesome and worth it IMO.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Rivergate...

Batteries will continue to get better. If you look how far they have come in just the last 4 years it's amazing! The new problem right now is the (power source) to charge them. Most ''plug in" AC/DC power inverters can only put out 10 to 12amps. If you have a 40c 5000mah pack that can be charged at a 5c rating, thats 25amps!! The batteries ability to be fast charged is there. The chargers and power sources are just playing catch up.
I have a Rivergate 55 Amp power supply that is only a bit larger than my 24Amp Team Checkpoint power supply...

They power supplies are defenetly available and pretty affordable.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
75 amp rivergate has been available since the late 80s or early 90s. Many old timers still have them from powering their CE dynos.
Mine just let go after 21 years of faithful service.. Just picked up a new 55amp one and they took care of me for being a returning customer!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

DO NOT TAKE THIS THREAD AS GOOD ADVISE ON CHARGING BATTERIES!!
You can't just take any batteries and throw a ton of current @ them. They could catch fire or explode! Also, just because you can; doesen't mean you should. Your batterys will last longer and "put out" better by being (balanced) and charged @ a lower current. (1c or even lower)
This is not correct with current lipo chemistry.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:15 AM
pgk
Tech Adept

The FMA PL8 has been on my radar screen for awhile now, looks to be a fantastic charger. What power supply or supplies are you running with it?

Thanks
Pete

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
I have the PowerLab 8 and it's pretty amazing.
1344 watts, 40 amp charge rate, as many packs in parallel as you could want and even shows discharge graphs among other things! At $250+ and still needing a power supply they are very spendy but awesome and worth it IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.