Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Will Lipo Batteries Be The Best We Ever Get? >

Will Lipo Batteries Be The Best We Ever Get?

Will Lipo Batteries Be The Best We Ever Get?

Old 04-20-2011, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HotBodiesVe8Boy View Post
atoms are not something people should be "testing" with you would think :L
They say we started with a big bang, by the looks of it we could end with one too :L
There were all kinds of theories when they tested the first nuclear bomb , people thought the earths atmosphere might start on fire and burn away(there are MASSIVE pools of Methane and other flammable gases in the earths upper atmosphere) . That super collider they built in Europe is said to open miniature black holes for short times , people have speculated that the earth might get sucked into one if a black hole were to become stable .

Now will battery tech get better ? For sure it will , for all the reasons already mentioned and more . Maybe they will come up with a battery that will recharge itself ? Or super high storage capacities like 40-50,000mAh in a battery the size of a BIC lighter ?

Only time will tell , but one things for sure , batteries WILL get better and run times will be longer , motors will be more powerful and it will all become cheaper as people come up with newer/better stuff .

In the words of Martha Stewart , "Its a good thing !"
Old 04-20-2011, 07:13 AM
Tech Regular

I read a thread on another forum about a year ago where they were working on capacitors instead of battery packs.
Just think almost instant charging and now its just a matter of getting the run time i dont even remember which forum it was on but keep an eye out for that one.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
Power sources is no problem . I have a 35 amp power supply that I bought back in the early 90`s . They are still out there , just need to look for them .
What's the highest AC/DC amp. power inverter you have seen?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

You can get power supplies up to 120 amps and sure there are some more then that available . They are not sold in the R/C market but realistically you don`t need anything more then 30 amps .
Old 04-20-2011, 07:29 AM
Tech Regular

well right now you dont need more than 30.
BUT that can change pretty quickly.
and if you use 2 hyperion duo's and are charging 2 9000's on each.....

there it is at 1 C 36 amps
and doing that is not out of the question for some people.
some e revo guy is probably doing it as I type...
Old 04-20-2011, 07:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
You can get power supplies up to 120 amps and sure there are some more then that available . They are not sold in the R/C market but realistically you don`t need anything more then 30 amps .
I'll have to look into that. For (rc cars) I think your right; 30amps is ok. Unless of course; you want to charge multipule 4cell 5000mah packs @ once @ a high charge rate. Lol!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I wouldn't be surprised if there already is a more advanced/better battery that would be viable for RC.

It's just a matter of the people who own it or have control over it willing to or wanting to release it to be public.

There has already been other batteries released/invented within the last couple of years, I just don't think they could hold up to the various pressures that some RC systems can demand.

I do agree though, things will only get better.
And I can't wait.

I don't really think it is more "green" to running electric cars, both from the manufacturing and running, it's just that you don't see the side effects first hand.
That is what I think people see and care about.
Outa sight, outa mind.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

no. i company that my company does business with in the US is working on battery cells that can be charged 1000's of times, without discharge limits, and can be fully charged using arc welding technology in under 1 minute.

no lie
Old 04-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if there already is a more advanced/better battery that would be viable for RC.

It's just a matter of the people who own it or have control over it willing to or wanting to release it to be public.

There has already been other batteries released/invented within the last couple of years, I just don't think they could hold up to the various pressures that some RC systems can demand.
The RC industry makes up a very small percentage of the battery market. Lets keep this in perspective people.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have some friends I wouldn't pit next to.

If they have a charger that will charge at 40amps then thats what they will use.

It will get very interesting and entertaining this summer at club races
Old 04-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by arrtay View Post
I don't think you could get them a year ago. They just came out with some chargers that will do 4 packs @ once! Power sources aren't there yet as far as I know. I also fly giant scale rc planes. It's not uncommon to see 20 lipo cells powering some of these things with brushless motors bigger than a "soft ball".
75 amp rivergate has been available since the late 80s or early 90s. Many old timers still have them from powering their CE dynos.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The ultra capacitors are very real, and I would imagine they will trickle down to our hobby eventually.

They already make police flashlights that have similar run time and output to existing models - except they charge fully in 90 seconds, as opposed to trickle charging for hours. They are also much, much, MUCH lighter than the batteries they have replaced.

It's not perfect. So far they're a bit bigger than the other models and the run time, while similar, isn't exactly the same.

The tech was apparently first developed for cars and somebody saw an application for constantly in-use lights. In a few years I could see somebody at a high end battery place getting their hands on one, trial-rigging it, and next thing you know, they're building their own.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Lazer Guy View Post
I have some friends I wouldn't pit next to.

If they have a charger that will charge at 40amps then thats what they will use.

It will get very interesting and entertaining this summer at club races
If you have only 1 6000mah 7.4v pack with a 6c charge rating. That means according to the battery manufacture you can charge that battery safely @ 36amps. Not sure, but I think some of the new 65c continius discharge packs can even go to an 8c charge rating! Thats 48amps!! Most people don't even have that size power source!! Lol!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Tech Regular

http://www.ultracapacitors.org/index...=108&task=view
link to ultra capacitor site with some good info.
Prob a couple of years down the road.
just wait
1/2 hour long a mains in electric
Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Tech Adept

I just talked to my buddy, he has the new bad a$$ (thunder power) charger and it will only allow a max charge rate of 20amps per battery pack. Does anybody know of a charger that will do better than that?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service