Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
B4.1 17.5 question????? >

B4.1 17.5 question?????

B4.1 17.5 question?????

Old 04-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Default B4.1 17.5 question?????

Help!!! I finally came back to R/C racing after a 10yr hiatus. Lipo's, Brushless, etc!!! Wow!! I came back with a AE FT SC10 that has a 10.5 motor in it. However, I just recently built a B4.1 FT to race multiple classes. While learning how to drive the new buggy, I decided to use a 17.5 Epic D3. I noticed the kit came with an 81 and a (74?) spur. The manual says to use the 81 but I see alot of people running 74's. I run indoor on a high traction clay surface. What spur/pinion is best for optimum torque/speed/etc? Thanks in advace for your help.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:06 AM
Tech Adept

Well, one thing I always say is you can never go wrong with buying different sized pinions So take that 74t spur that you have and try working with some 30-34teeth pinions and start at the lowest then work up until you find a spot you are comfortable with

Also, there is a B4.1/T4.1 thread where you can find all the answers about that buggy you are looking for
Old 04-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

just run the car on the track for the length you normally would and check the motor temps. if they're low, go ahead and gear up. i try to gear mine so they don't get above 140F after the 2 minutes of warmup and 5 minutes of race.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I ran my B4.1 on a tight indoor carpet track with an LRP x12 17.5. I used a 72 tooth spur gear and a 27 tooth pinion. However, you could probably go up a few teeth on the pinion for your track.

Try www.comeseethis.com to figure out your gearing.