Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
2wd or 4wd with same buggy? >

2wd or 4wd with same buggy?

2wd or 4wd with same buggy?

Old 04-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Cool 2wd or 4wd with same buggy?

Being able to run in the 2wd heat, and then drop in some 4wd parts and run in the 4wd heat, with the same buggy, would be pretty cool. Has this ever been done? Possible? Practical?
Old 04-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

sounds great in theory. but i would imagine terrible results in the 2wd form. 4wd buggy's are balanced for 4wd.... remove the front drive shaft and the rear wheels would just spin and i'd imagine it wouldn't turn well either.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

It seems like alot of work if the 4wd race is right after the 2wd race.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Tech Regular

Doesn't work. As was said, the balance for each class is very specific. We had one guy have the front driveshaft blow up during a practice run. They let him run with the 2WDs, his lap times were about 50% slower than the others.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

One thing I've seen and learned is that NOTHING is impossible but many things are highly unlikely to work.

If you're the tinkering type, try to figure something out maybe! But don't expect it to compete with an even decent B4.1, RB5, or Losi buggy pilot!
Old 04-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm the tinkering type just not the mechanical engineering type, lol. If I had the equipment and the knowledge to custom make cars I doubt I'd ever sleep!

It seems like balance would be an easy thing to fix by adding/removing weights, or am I missing something?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The only way I see to make a 2-in-1 car is to take a car like the Losi 22 and run a belt to the front like was done in the 80's with the RC10 conversions. Keep the suspension geometry untouched while putting power to the front wheels and it could work. Remove the belt and you have a 2wd that happens to have some extra weight and gadgets on board. Starting with a 4wd car... I think would be impossible to make competitive as a 2wd. And if it sucks as a 2wd, it's a complete waste of time.

What you are missing is how much easier and better it is to have 2 purpose built cars to race 2 different classes. Not only is it easier and more practical, but odds are you could never get a 2-in-1 car to do either job as well as the purpose built cars. Consider how good/bad a car can handle with a couple minor setup changes... let alone trying to find a setup that somehow will work even when morphing the whole car every other race.

Seriously... even if you are running 2wd stock and 2wd mod, some guys choose to simply have 2 cars set up ready to go.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Usually, 2wd cars have more kickup than 4wd cars which completely changes the handling aspects for steering.

However, over in Europe they do run 1/8 buggies as 2wd only as a class. I have heard it is the hardest class to actually race in due to the power to weight, etc... But there is an actual example.

So is there a thought process behind this besides cost?