Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Castle Sidewinder SCT on Slash 4x4 cuts out >

Castle Sidewinder SCT on Slash 4x4 cuts out

Castle Sidewinder SCT on Slash 4x4 cuts out

Old 04-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Castle Sidewinder SCT on Slash 4x4 cuts out

I'm running a Slash 4x4 15/54 with the 3800kv SCT combo. Mesh doesn't feel too tight, car runs great, well, sort of.

I was driving last night on a very loose track and after about 20 minutes the car would stop for a good 30 seconds. Once it cut out once, it would do it more and more often until the car sat for 20-30 minutes.

I checked the heat a few minutes after it cut out and I could hold my finger on the motor for 10+ second but the ESC too hot to go beyond 5-6 seconds.

It seems obvious to me that I'm having thermal issues with the ESC. I'm thinking because the track was so loose I was spinning the tires a lot and helping it to heat up faster.

I'm a bit disappointed though because Castle said 15T was fine and at 13T the thing runs about the same as the VXL system so what's the point?

I'll try 14T, any other suggestions? I'm also trying lowering my LVC from 3.5 to 3.4 and startup power from high to medium.

Maybe I'd be happier with the Novak SC combo? Thoughts?
Old 04-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Tech Adept

What kind of batteries are you running? FYI 20 minutes is a LONG time to run a brushless setup in a 6+ lb car on 2-3s. Speedo is hotter than your motor means your overgeared. Yes top speed will be about the same as the velenion cause the kv's are so close. Try running a fan on your esc it will help keep temps down. Just a bandaid though, get it geared lower if your gonna run for more than 10 minutes straight.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sounds like it's not thermalling... it's the low voltage cutoff kicking in because the battery is dead.

Are you saying that after sitting for 20-30 minutes it will just keep going (without recharging the battery)?
Old 04-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

How's the switch ? My Sidewinder would cut out (like you described), but my temp gun would show normal temps and batteries are above LVC. I replaced the switch and it stop cutting out.