R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Losi 1/8 Buggy!! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/49976-losi-1-8-buggy.html)

FREAKAH 09-11-2004 03:12 AM

Losi 1/8 Buggy!!

Just seen info on it at Neo-Buggy.net

KINGZJ 09-11-2004 04:41 AM

That has been a rumor for a long time. Maybe its true this time but Horizon owns Losi and now Horizon has their own buggy the mayhem why would they want to produce 2 of them. Maybe losi is doing a different version of the mayhem or something but for Horizon/Losi to stick allot of money into 2 seperate buggys just doesn't make sense.

FREAKAH 09-11-2004 05:01 AM

Yeah, the Losi 1/8 has been a rumor for like about a year and a half now.

I'm sure Horizon would all soon forget the Mayhem if Losi designed a 1/8 buggy. Horizon would be stupid to turn down a chance to market a Losi designed/engineered 1/8 buggy knowing what they're capable of. Besides,they could always kick the Mayhem down to strictly RTR status.

Maybe it's like a OFNA type of situation. OFNA now has three different buggies to choose from now with the 9.5, the Hyper 7 and now the Jammin' X1. It hasn't hurt them.

tony montana 09-11-2004 06:31 AM

If losi ever comes out with a 1/8 buggy I'll be one of the first to place a order

DerekL 09-11-2004 11:53 AM

Losi 1/8th scale? SWEET!!!

Aaron Waldron 09-11-2004 12:14 PM

Don't hold your breath.

Websites have been promoting this rumor for years. When Jukka started running for Kyosho, everyone assumed that Losi was building a buggy.

Losi is always working on new projects, but this isn't one of them.

signats 09-12-2004 12:22 AM

Losi has a history of innovation, maybe they will be the first to make a competition level electric 1/8 scale buggy:weird:

Aaron Waldron 09-12-2004 12:31 AM

Uhh....?

mafiaracers 09-12-2004 02:17 AM

What are you talking about?! "competition level?" All the big names in 1/8th scale are "competition level"

FREAKAH 09-12-2004 03:04 AM

Originally posted by signats
Losi has a history of innovation, maybe they will be the first to make a competition level ELECTRIC 1/8 scale buggy:weird:

signats 09-12-2004 04:16 AM

Originally posted by mafiaracers
What are you talking about?! "competition level?" All the big names in 1/8th scale are "competition level"
What I am WISHING for is a 1/8th scale off road ELECTRIC, with the advances in brushless motors and controllers suitable for land based vehicles and high capacity Lipo batteries capable of delivering sustained high amperage...........:tire::eek: :cool:

tony montana 09-12-2004 05:31 AM

I think everyone is waiting for a 1/8 from losi or associated

Aaron Waldron 09-12-2004 10:08 AM

There's no point in making an 1/8th scale electric buggy. The electric class has been struggling to support the classes we race currently, while nitro continues to boom. It won't happen.

Like I've said before..Losi always has projects in the works, as they do right now. An 1/8th scale isn't one of those projects.

signats 09-12-2004 06:27 PM

Aaron,

Do you want the electric class to continue to die off?

Something has to change or it will.

One way to generate some interest in electric would be to create a vehicle that can challenge the gas buggies on the track in terms of speed, power and runtime. Gas will allways win when it comes to sound and smell, but there are some places all that noise is not desired, or tolerable like for backyard tracks in populated areas, or during the winter at an indoor track.

The vast majority of all RC cars sold never ever even see a race day anyway, could one of the problems be that people just don't want to dedicate a whole day just so they can race their car for a few 5min. little sprint races?

Saying it won't happen may be a bit short sighted, perhaps Losi won't be the innovator for a big electric buggy, but some day somebody will make one, and I will be there to buy it.

Aaron Waldron 09-12-2004 10:49 PM

Creating a car for a class that doesn't exist and spreading electric racers even thinner is no way to re-generate interest in that segment of the hobby.

Our current 4WD electric cars challenge 1/8th scale buggies in terms of speed and power on all but the most rough and bumpy tracks. To create a power system capable of propelling a larger and heavier buggy to the same speeds would already strain the technology used in creating our R/C motors and batteries, which continue to rise in cost of production and price of sale to the consumer. Any further rise in cost and requiring racers to purchase new equipment to compete in one more class may kill electric altogether.

The majority of R/C cars never see a race because most people that buy toy cars aren't looking for organized competition. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and it will never change. Nitro-powered cars have grown in popularity because they sound and smell like their full-scale counterparts that everyone can identify with.

That said..this conversation has gotten way off topic, and is being closed.