Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Cobra R/C & Pro Amps Lipos >

Cobra R/C & Pro Amps Lipos

Cobra R/C & Pro Amps Lipos

Old 04-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Thumbs up Cobra R/C & Pro Amps Lipos

Every now and then we all hear about something new in this industry and it becomes a battle to have the latest and greatest invention. This is true for some, but most have the idea of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Well, this brings me to this post. I just wanted to mention Cobra R/C and Pro Amps lipo batterys. This company realy puts it out there when it comes to products and service, but I wanted to talk about their lipo batterys. I purchased 4 4s 5200mAh 60c hardcase lipos from them several months ago. I had ordered these batterys during the off season and it was my plan on running them on the indoor track here to test them out before the main out door off road season kicked off. This did not happen due to the local indoor track not allowing 1/8th scale buggys there anymore. Anyway, these batterys sat for nearly 2-3 months on my living room floor just as they arrived. I had not even put the ends on them to charge them up. Once the season started up, I put deans plugs on them and put them on my cell checker. They were still ballanced at 4.20 volts per cell on all for lipos. The volts of each battery were still above normal and holding around 16.8 volts each. This was very impressive seeing as how they were shipped out to me and then sat on my living room floor for nearly 2-3 months.

The QualityThe quality of these lipos is by far supreme compared to others. The carbon fiber looking hardcase is awesome looking and even has a carbon fiber looking tape that covers the seam up from the two hlfs meeting. The thicker gauge positive and negative power wires are located on the left top side of the lipo and has a rubber groment around the hardcase to protect the wires from cuts. One the upper left top side of the battery you will find the ballancing port and wires, which also have a rubber groment around the hardcase to protect the wires. There was no short cuts used in these packs.

The LiposThe lipos have been performing great. I have put over 20 races on them now, rotating between them all during each race. There has been no dissapointments with them. They still ballance out perfectly and hold charge and voltage as they should. These things have more power than I can plant to the ground in my 1/8th buggy. When they say 60c, they mean 60c. It is like putting a Hemi with a super charger in my buggy. Two words come to mind. WOW WEE!

I would highly recommend these lipos to anyone wanting to get the best lipo, the best price versus product, and the truest rating. These packs are all that they say they are and more. Pro Amps puts these lipos through the test both in house and in field. They stand behind their packs with a warrenty, but you will not need one. If you are looking to purchase lipos and thinking about taking the cheap route, think again and go with the Pro Amps because you truely gett what you pay for. These lipos offer power, performance, durability, and a true C rating. Look for them to be ROAR approved soon.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Adept

Nice write up! Glad to hear of new companies and good products. My only issue with the lipo wars is that there are only a few places in the world that produce these cells for our applications, two in china and one in Korea last I heard. Global supply chain dictates we all get pretty much the same cells no matter who ya buy em from. Will have to check these guys out tho, sounds like they got legit ratings and testing to back it up, very rare in the RC world nowadays.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ochitone
Every now and then we all hear about something new in this industry and it becomes a battle to have the latest and greatest invention. This is true for some, but most have the idea of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Well, this brings me to this post. I just wanted to mention Cobra R/C and Pro Amps lipo batterys. This company realy puts it out there when it comes to products and service, but I wanted to talk about their lipo batterys. I purchased 4 4s 5200mAh 60c hardcase lipos from them several months ago. I had ordered these batterys during the off season and it was my plan on running them on the indoor track here to test them out before the main out door off road season kicked off. This did not happen due to the local indoor track not allowing 1/8th scale buggys there anymore. Anyway, these batterys sat for nearly 2-3 months on my living room floor just as they arrived. I had not even put the ends on them to charge them up. Once the season started up, I put deans plugs on them and put them on my cell checker. They were still ballanced at 4.20 volts per cell on all for lipos. The volts of each battery were still above normal and holding around 16.8 volts each. This was very impressive seeing as how they were shipped out to me and then sat on my living room floor for nearly 2-3 months.

The QualityThe quality of these lipos is by far supreme compared to others. The carbon fiber looking hardcase is awesome looking and even has a carbon fiber looking tape that covers the seam up from the two hlfs meeting. The thicker gauge positive and negative power wires are located on the left top side of the lipo and has a rubber groment around the hardcase to protect the wires from cuts. One the upper left top side of the battery you will find the ballancing port and wires, which also have a rubber groment around the hardcase to protect the wires. There was no short cuts used in these packs.

The LiposThe lipos have been performing great. I have put over 20 races on them now, rotating between them all during each race. There has been no dissapointments with them. They still ballance out perfectly and hold charge and voltage as they should. These things have more power than I can plant to the ground in my 1/8th buggy. When they say 60c, they mean 60c. It is like putting a Hemi with a super charger in my buggy. Two words come to mind. WOW WEE!

I would highly recommend these lipos to anyone wanting to get the best lipo, the best price versus product, and the truest rating. These packs are all that they say they are and more. Pro Amps puts these lipos through the test both in house and in field. They stand behind their packs with a warrenty, but you will not need one. If you are looking to purchase lipos and thinking about taking the cheap route, think again and go with the Pro Amps because you truely gett what you pay for. These lipos offer power, performance, durability, and a true C rating. Look for them to be ROAR approved soon.
Where do you get them from? I am having trouble locating a homepage. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

aaaaaaaaaand....cut!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Forgive me for being juuuuuuust a hair skeptical.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Never seen a lipo shipped with a full charge. They come from the factory about 3.8v per cell. Odd that these were at full charge, and odd that they would actually read 4.20 after any storage.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
Never seen a lipo shipped with a full charge. They come from the factory about 3.8v per cell. Odd that these were at full charge, and odd that they would actually read 4.20 after any storage.
Like I tried to say......scripted.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BOLISARIO
Like I tried to say......scripted.
Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has them and some stink. Think what you will, but this is not scripted text here. I have been testing these lipos for over 3 months now. They are by far the best I have run. They also ship them legaly as there are some that don't.

I am not saying what you have no is or is not a good lipo. This was a write up that I decided to put on the table for others to see. There is no reason for haters to chime in. I hope this is not what your intentions were, but I can asure you that this is not scripted text. I am a racer, not a basher. My lipos have to stand up to high standards and must provide my buggy with the power it needs, the durability to last, and the performance of that of a power house. I don't run whimpy stuff like some lower grade lipos. Not mentioning any names as this would be considered talking down about anothers product, which I am firmly against. Try these lipos and see for your self before posting any negativity.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kufman
Where do you get them from? I am having trouble locating a homepage. Thanks!
The Websie is under development currently, but you can purchase these lipos directly from Cobra R/C (facebook), or I can get you setup with them.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Every new write up for an off-brand product always start of this way. You will always find those people that want to be the first to bash a product or write-up just so they can say "see I told you so", if that product fails.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

These packs arrived just as I stated. Pro Amps lipos are made with high quality cells, not the cheap cells that some other manufactures use. Think of it like this, the price of lithium is going up, but yet the price of lipos are going down. How is this possiable? It is possiable because some manufactures get second hand or second quality cells that are not of the higher grade that first quality cells offer. The higher priced lipos on the market should be manufactured with the better cells, but I can only speak of Pro Amps lipos as I know for a fact that they are.

Also, with Pro Amps lipos, the factory that produces these lipos manufacture millitary grade packs for aircraft and they own the molds for this manufacturing process. They are not in the business for manufacturing R/C cells.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

They will also fit into your Caster EX 1.5R you are running . That is what I run, but I have done the 4s mod to mine
Old 04-05-2011, 04:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

PM'd you on the Caster forum.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jamie James
PM'd you on the Caster forum.
I think I responded to the PM there, but if not, I will go check it out now.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

I think I responded to the PM there, but if not, I will go check it out now.
No reply yet.