Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New here and had a question about my SC8E

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Default New here and had a question about my SC8E

I have a sc8e with a mamba max pro esc and the 2200 kv motor. My question is, can I run a 6s lipo with this setup or will i need to go tho the mamba monster?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...a_max_pro.html

That a was a tough one.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Yosh70

That a was a tough one.
Yeah. I looked that up before I posted but half the guys at my lhs said that it wont handle a 6s with the 2200kv motor and half said it would. Thats why i came here to ask, guy.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Anti Hero
Yeah. I looked that up before I posted but half the guys at my lhs said that it wont handle a 6s with the 2200kv motor and half said it would. Thats why i came here to ask, guy.
There is an info tag that comes on the esc NIB that states the following;

"The Castle motor and controller included with this vehicle will provide thrilling performance when used with the 15/46 stock gear ratio and battery voltages up to 4s (16.8V charged).
If you wish to use packs with voltages higher than 4s or a pinion with more than 20 teeth with the stock 46t spur gear, you must replace the Mamba Max Pro with a larger capacity controller such as the Mamba Monster."

So there's your answer, the rest is up to you....
Old 04-03-2011, 07:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

The MMP was included in the SC8e to keep prices down, so it's geared very conservatively to drop the amp rating to an acceptable level.

The MMP is a 1/10 esc.

In my SC8e I changed out the MMP for a MMM and now run it geared as it should be, 21/46 on 4s and everything is a lot happier.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Jakk
There is an info tag that comes on the esc NIB that states the following;

"The Castle motor and controller included with this vehicle will provide thrilling performance when used with the 15/46 stock gear ratio and battery voltages up to 4s (16.8V charged).
If you wish to use packs with voltages higher than 4s or a pinion with more than 20 teeth with the stock 46t spur gear, you must replace the Mamba Max Pro with a larger capacity controller such as the Mamba Monster."

So there's your answer, the rest is up to you....
Right on thanks for the help, looks like i will be picking up a mamba monster.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by nexxus
The MMP was included in the SC8e to keep prices down, so it's geared very conservatively to drop the amp rating to an acceptable level.

The MMP is a 1/10 esc.

In my SC8e I changed out the MMP for a MMM and now run it geared as it should be, 21/46 on 4s and everything is a lot happier.
What gearing would you suggest when running a mmm and a 6s 5000mah 45c?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

You seriously need to stop giving advice, i havent seen one yet where you were actually correct.

Originally Posted by Anti Hero
What gearing would you suggest when running a mmm and a 6s 5000mah 45c?
Gearing that on SC8 will depend on a few things...

have you ran the truck on 6S yet? for reference, i just hit 86mph today with 25/44 gearing on 6S with the body off. nobody really realize's how monstrous these things are when you put the voltage to them...

beware though, 6s loves to destroy the stock tire sidewalls..

as to the MMP/4s rating..i personally havent done it, but there are plenty of people on rcshortcourse who have claimed to have done it, with no ill effects, as with anything on the internet, take it with a grain of salt though.

For More reference, my truck geared 25/44 on 3s, will out accelerate a stock sc8e on 4s

These motors LOVE to be geared high in my experiences with them, my motor actually runs much cooler now being geared higher.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FTSC10
You seriously need to stop giving advice, i havent seen one yet where you were actually correct.
And you seriously need to learn how to read. All I did was give him a link to the Castle website and if Castle is wrong in their specs, then maybe you better let them know.

Moron.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Suspended

And you seriously need to learn how to read. All I did was give him a link to the Castle website and if Castle is wrong in their specs, then maybe you better let them know.

Moron.
I need to learn how to read? LOL thats classic. Anybody who OWNS an SC8E knows about the 4S limit on the MMP, infact the MMP has been rated to handle 4S up to a 2200kv limit. its 6s capable in 10th scale applications, with 10th scale motors{as long as the motors rated for 6s}

You need to know YOUR facts before you give someone advice. I highly doubt you're gonna pony out the dough to replace anyone's ESC because you gave faulty advice based on zero experience/factual knowledge.

You calling me a moron, for you being wrong, speaks VOLUMES! hahaha
Old 04-03-2011, 10:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Personally I think 6s on the SC8e is excessive, it's a handful on 5s, and that still gives the caps some room to deal with ripple voltage etc under brakes which is what seems to kill most MMM speedies.

If you want to run your MMP based on 'some guys' in another forum, up to you, it may work, it may not work. There is a guy on youtube who ran 8s Lipo on a MMP, hell there is a guy on youtube who jumps over a moving car but I wouldn't do either myself.

Whether you take our advice is up to you, just be aware of the consequences of your actions and don't expect to claim warranty when you run items outside their intended specifications.

..and Yosh you need to stop letting "FTSC10" get to you, we know he's a mechanic with a typical mechanic's attitude (I said typical, I know a lot of good mechanics too!) I spent years as a Forklift Service Manager, it's a mechanic thing, they know everything about everything, just how it is!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by nexxus
Personally I think 6s on the SC8e is excessive, it's a handful on 5s, and that still gives the caps some room to deal with ripple voltage etc under brakes which is what seems to kill most MMM speedies.

If you want to run your MMP based on 'some guys' in another forum, up to you, it may work, it may not work. There is a guy on youtube who ran 8s Lipo on a MMP, hell there is a guy on youtube who jumps over a moving car but I wouldn't do either myself.

Whether you take our advice is up to you, just be aware of the consequences of your actions and don't expect to claim warranty when you run items outside their intended specifications.

..and Yosh you need to stop letting "FTSC10" get to you, we know he's a backyard mechanic from the south with too many toys, I spent years as a Forklift Service Manager, it's a mechanic thing, they know everything about everything, just how it is!
Wow, i didnt know i was from the south, or even a backyard mechanic!

Feel free to show me that im wrong
Old 04-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Well then, lol