Wiki Posts
Search

Help out a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Help out a newbie

ok so i just bought a xxx bk1. Thing is in good shape but i do want to upgrade it. I was thinking throwing some vla arms and maybe getting a cr tranny. What else should i do to make it handle. better. Also its coming ready to go but has a brushed motor and old speed control in it. Was wondering what would be a good brushless system and speed control. I wanna race eventually. Aslo what batteries and charger should i get. Lipos are confusing to me right now because i used to race and got out when lipos were just coming out and have been out of the game for the last four or five years. So i need some help so i know what im doing again. Also with the motor i want to run stock class so idk what that translates too in brushless. Please help me guys.
thanks
travis
Old 04-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by travisridenour
ok so i just bought a xxx bk1. Thing is in good shape but i do want to upgrade it. I was thinking throwing some vla arms and maybe getting a cr tranny. What else should i do to make it handle. better. Also its coming ready to go but has a brushed motor and old speed control in it. Was wondering what would be a good brushless system and speed control. I wanna race eventually. Aslo what batteries and charger should i get. Lipos are confusing to me right now because i used to race and got out when lipos were just coming out and have been out of the game for the last four or five years. So i need some help so i know what im doing again. Also with the motor i want to run stock class so idk what that translates too in brushless. Please help me guys.
thanks
travis
a good idea would be to go to the track that you will eventually run in and see what the other guys are running in the class that you are interested. this will make sure that you are legal for that class. as far as lipos go, you will need to research on the ins and outs of them. they are very good but you can easily damage them.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Well this what I would do.
1. Castle Creations SV2 4600kv 99.00 or less
2. Gens Ace Lipos 20-35 bucks
3. Dynamite Passport lipo charger 65.00(you could get one cheaper)
4. Assortment of springs.
5. VLA hubs

Im not sure if the CR tranny will fit, im not 100% sure, if your truck has a gray case I dont think the CR tranny will fit.

This is a good start for a good price.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 316 (100%+)

System- Tekin RS esc and either an tekin, orion or LRP 10.5
3800 35c+ on the lipo
as far as the car, if your a losi fan, sell it and buy a Losi 22
Old 04-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k1ller rc
System- Tekin RS esc and either an tekin, orion or LRP 10.5
3800 35c+ on the lipo
as far as the car, if your a losi fan, sell it and buy a Losi 22
+1 on pretty much all that! You also could try the trinity motors.(epic d3)
Old 04-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks For the help guys guess i may just stick with nimh batteries since i do kinda know those.These lipos just seem like a hassle to me
Old 04-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks For the help guys guess i may just stick with nimh batteries since i do kinda know those.These lipos just seem like a hassle to me
you will get into them eventually, youll be glad you did. just a new technology with a new set of rules.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Lipos arent that bad, Thats why I said get the Passport charger or a charger that wont charge unless its balancing so you can have a piece of mind. Some people say you dont have to balance when charging but I do. NIMH is ok until your at the track and you see the difference, dont be afraid of lithium.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Tech Adept

so what is the deal with lipos i see all these lipo cut offs and things like that. Do they surge or something is that why they have all these new things like that. Also are they simple like the old batteries just plug and go? Im trying to gain as much info as possible in this thread so that way i can just check back to it if i need something
Old 04-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Tech Adept

what novak esc's are good. And is a 13.5 brushlesss the equivilant of a stock 27 turn brushed motor? Also what maintainence is required on a brushless motor? sorry for all the questions just really am getting back into rc and want to be knowledgable
Old 04-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

what novak esc's are good. And is a 13.5 brushlesss the equivilant of a stock 27 turn brushed motor? Also what maintainence is required on a brushless motor? sorry for all the questions just really am getting back into rc and want to be knowledgable
27t I think its 17.5 and lipo cutoff is a feature on your speed controller, which is usally set from the factory. I would not tell anyone to get a Novak system. I would say get Castle Creation or Tekin. But all this depends on your budget, the sky is the limit if you got the money. Novak if your on a budget Tekin and LRP are awsome.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

so what is the deal with lipos i see all these lipo cut offs and things like that. Do they surge or something is that why they have all these new things like that. Also are they simple like the old batteries just plug and go? Im trying to gain as much info as possible in this thread so that way i can just check back to it if i need something
The lipo cutoff is so that the cells in the battery dont get to low. Becasue if they get to low almost all the time there done for. Makes me wonder why we dont use lithium-ion like our cellphones, but that another topic.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I run all tekin stuff as far as maint. On brushless there is none if you don't run them hot a 17.5 turn brushless is usally stock class I run my brushless with lipos and there is no problems what so ever I can run twenty minutes solid in my buggy and it comes off the track at about 110 depending on ambient temp

Lipos can't run under 3 volts a cell so a 2 cell 7.4 volts has a cutoff of 6 volt any good esc will have a lipo cutoff programmed into it
Old 04-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Adept

any other suggestions on esc's i just looked up the tekins and those are a little more then i was planning on spending.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

I need to know your budget. Is this for a combo or just a esc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.