Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 e truggys

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 1/8 e truggys

Why aren't more manufactures making e 1/8 truggys? I want one but hate the idea of going conversion. Any ideas?
Old 04-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Losi, Ofna, HPI, Caster, Durango (not released), Kyoshi, AE, XRay, and Hot Bodies all have a production electric 1/8th scale buggy, some even have truggies.

I have a feeling with time they will come.

I do think that the Truggy platform may have less appeal though as there is a stronger population that race buggy and truggy is still a small niche. At least around my area.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Opposite around here, 60/40 truggy here. I know everybody makes factory buggys, but nobody makes truggys. What happen to the rc8te? Out not even a year?..
Old 04-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Tech Rookie

If your like me you get a Kyosho ST-RR and make a custom chassis for your BL conversion.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

tekno v4, even v3 are the best way to convert to e-truggy. Mechanical brakes are a manditory part of a truggy conversion that will last. You can take losi's e conversion parts and make your own, ae had one maybe stillll does.. At any rate it comes down to the stress these bigger trucks put on the electronics. Your choices are much smaller with reliable equipment that can take the abuse. Another problem is driveline wear with the forces envolved. This is where the traktion drive or electri clutch come in handy.

don't be afraid just go tekno.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

A good way to learn more about your RC is to do a conversion IMO. When I 1st started, adjusting the pinion/spur mesh or adjusting the toe on a RC seemed the most I was going to be comfortable with. I'm still not a RC "tech" but now I can rebuild diff's, shocks and put a dis-assembled RC back together fairly confidently.

The Xray I converted over myself and the Losi was already done but I had the whole thing apart to go thru it anyways.

RC Monster or Tekno, I dont think you could go wrong with either. They both seem to be quality kits. Its actually pretty simple once you do one....and then two....and then 3rd etc.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
Another problem is driveline wear with the forces envolved. This is where the traktion drive or electri clutch come in handy.

don't be afraid just go tekno.
RC monster makes what they call a "slipperential" which replaces the center diff. I purchased one for my Xray for that very reason.

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...Mslipperential
Old 04-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=Yosh70;8899695]RC monster makes what they call a "slipperential" which replaces the center diff. I purchased one for my Xray for that very reason.

[url]

great part no doubt.. But for it's cost you can get the full tekno v3 kit with traktion drive, for a few bucks more the v4 w/ traction. Not to mention teknos can be used as a e-clutch on looser tracks.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Team Associated RC8BE.. AWESOME BUGGY

TE RC8T Factory Team and use the TE E-Conversion which is the exact same e-parts the RC8BE uses.. SAME RESULT= AWESOME TRUGGY !!

Mechanical or Electric Motor Brakes is just a personal preference.. I have no problem with either, but prefer the Electric motor braking... lighter and less components to go bad..

You have a misconception of e-conversions.. 90% of e-buggies are just a production run of converted nitro buggies.. and they all work great, so why wouldn't a truggy be the same???
Old 04-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by racerx711
Team Associated RC8BE.. AWESOME BUGGY

TE RC8T Factory Team and use the TE E-Conversion which is the exact same e-parts the RC8BE uses.. SAME RESULT= AWESOME TRUGGY !!

Mechanical or Electric Motor Brakes is just a personal preference.. I have no problem with either, but prefer the Electric motor braking... lighter and less components to go bad..

You have a misconception of e-conversions.. 90% of e-buggies are just a production run of converted nitro buggies.. and they all work great, so why wouldn't a truggy be the same???
Mechanical or electric breaks is a personal preference to some point.. but keep in mind how much extra work you load up your ESC and motor with in such a large vehicle. Not only do you run cooler motor temps (good 10'), but you have a life expectancy of your electronics of prob double vs going motor brakes. Forget about the fact you can tune your front rear bias, forget about the reduced stress on your diff's having both front and rear brakes.. how many oz does a servo and brake pads weigh? In a truggy you'll never notice the difference.

my 2c anyway.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

[QUOTE=8ight-e;8899729]
Originally Posted by Yosh70
RC monster makes what they call a "slipperential" which replaces the center diff. I purchased one for my Xray for that very reason.

[url]

great part no doubt.. But for it's cost you can get the full tekno v3 kit with traktion drive, for a few bucks more the v4 w/ traction. Not to mention teknos can be used as a e-clutch on looser tracks.
True but do not forget rcm slip diff can go with u when you change car, tekno can't.

Both work the same but it's all abt preference
Old 04-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=SuperEk4;8899990]
Originally Posted by 8ight-e

True but do not forget rcm slip diff can go with u when you change car, tekno can't.

Both work the same but it's all abt preference
Good point.. ya if you swapped companies for truggies you would have to have a matching tekno kits to keep using the traktion/clutch drive. I saw one of the slipperentials last summer,, a real work of art too.. awesome unit.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

The E-truggy class hasn't taken off like the E-Buggy class yet. I expect it to grow this year however.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Amen brotha, I hope it takes off this year! I just have a problem with ditching stock chassis and buying a new one and then buying mech. brakes. I might just get an Eco and know there will be an elec. Buggy class at the barn. barnstormersrc.com . Thanks for the replys
Old 04-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

[QUOTE=8ight-e;8900068]
Originally Posted by SuperEk4

Good point.. ya if you swapped companies for truggies you would have to have a matching tekno kits to keep using the traktion/clutch drive. I saw one of the slipperentials last summer,, a real work of art too.. awesome unit.
Yes they easy to rebuild n can with stand high temp.