R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-09-2004, 11:51 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Engine for 2WD 1/10 Buggy Please Read

hey i'm considering getting a new .15 engine for my buggy when the engine (2nd sleeve/piston/conrod) wears out.

I want to have a motor that, in conjunction with practice, will make a competitive car against other RTR's. i've been tweaking the handling and trying different tyres and think ive found the sweetspot IMO, but the standard engine (GX15 CR) keeps cracking crankcases and is only a HSN carb.

For good laptimes should i go for more power? less power? ?????

I want to compete with duratrax evaders, list of upgrade parts are in my sig.

Reliability is a must...

also, does anybody know if the kyosho Ultima ST-R ball diff fits in the Ultima RB??

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ultima.jpg (113.2 KB, 116 views)
jamiekulhanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 03:03 PM   #2
Tech Elite

I would go with a standard .12 CV in that car. Any more power will be hard to control with smaller buggy tires.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:17 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Thanks Aaron,

The .12 doesnt have much more power than my standard engine, in fact all i want is an engine with more torque.

The main areas i am interested in is bashing, not so serious racing, etc...so this narrowed it down to "sport" engines. The torque and acceleration to pop wheelies is also desired...

But honestly, will this car be able to compete with Duratrax Nitro Evaders (with this engine), or am i completely wasting my time??

Thanks again
Old 09-10-2004, 12:51 AM   #4
Tech Elite

CV's still put out considerable power when tuned correctly. They should never be counted out of any racing situation, period.

The best part about the little red-head engine is the O.S. carb. It's one of the most reliable on the market, and it's very user-friendly.

You should be able to keep up with any Evader out there.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:26 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Aaron, so you're saying that Factory HP ratings can be way off??

You've been leaning towards the .12 "red head", is there any reason that you have excluded the .15 "blue head"??

Thanks
Old 09-11-2004, 12:29 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Factory-claimed horsepower numbers are usually WAY off. The best example is the O.S. CV-R...O.S. rates the engine at 1.0 horsepower, but RCCA's dyno rated the engine at .66.

XRC is working on the most technologically advanced dyno ever to grace in the industry. Soon enough, they'll prove to the world that the manufacturer's have been pulling our legs up until now.

I point to the .12 because you're driving a buggy. Too much power with such small tires will make the car hard to drive. And should you ever decide to race, or put your engine in a truck to race, it will be legal at any track.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:37 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Those figures are way off!! I cant believe they blatantly lie like that.

The other thing is, the manufacturers don't tell you which pipe, filter, fuel, or plug they use for dyno tests/estimations, so different setups will probably have different power outputs.

Thanks for the advice, but i have one last question,

Going from my RTR Kyosho GX.15 engine (High Speed Needle only), to the OS CV-X .12, do you think i will notice a difference in power/acceleration/torque??
I was 80% happy with the power output with my stock engine, but the torque at low t medium revs, well, it just wasn't satisfactory.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:06 AM   #8
Tech Elite

You'll be more than happy with the power output, and the reliability and quality of O.S. engines is right up there with the much more expensive Italian engines.

Until now (with XRC's new dyno) there has never been an industry standard for creating horsepower numbers.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:40 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Aaron, i am pondering changing my buggy into a truck down the track (just need A arms, turnbuckles, dogbones/CVD's, body and mounts, wheels and tyres...Depending if it's an economical option....perhaps it's best to buy a Truck kit...

Anyway, what engine would you reccommend for a truck?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2004, 11:02 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Same thing.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:15 PM   #11
Tech Adept

So your definately sure (im not arguing lol) that this .12 CV will have good acceleration and low down torque?? Do you think it will have "wheelie" popping acceleration ?????

Thats my last question before i am completely sold,

thanks
Old 09-12-2004, 01:03 PM   #12
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to LosiFromHell986

I have the Duratrax Maximum BX with a torq .12 in it, and it's pretty slow due to gearing, but it has MAJOR acceleration! Just gear it with an equal balance of Speed and Acceleration and you will be happy

Speaking of which, it's for sale, and I'm selling a New but taken out of box OS .12 CV-X for $75usd + Shipping... Look for me in the for sale section
LosiFromHell986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:07 PM   #13
Tech Adept

I'm considering it, but the sleeve on my current engine has only done 2 quarts...

may i ask why you are selling it? And why you bought it?
Old 09-12-2004, 11:37 PM   #14
Tech Elite

It will have more than enough power to wheelie, but it won't have the tire-spinning crazy power of other engines.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:54 AM   #15
Tech Adept

perfect, i'm just after that kind of acceleration, but not ridiculus power...Thank you very much Aaron for your patience when dealing with irritating newbs like myself

I am in the process of buying this OS, i'll shelve it for a litle while till my stock engine has worn out. Then put it in.

I have been looking around for suitable engine mounts, but can't find any!! Annoying!!