Wiki Posts
Search

Losi XXXT MF2 Diff problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 03:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Losi XXXT MF2 Diff problem

I'm having a problem getting the slipper diff/spur gear aligned properly. I think I have narrowed it down to one of two things.

1. The diff spacer (the thing the spring rests on) is not totally flat on the long side that touches the slipper part.

2. The spring is not pressing equally around the diff spacer.

I'm pretty sure I have the assembly together correctly. It seems to operate as designed until I get the spring/spacer/nut on then the spur gear goes back to being wobbly on rotation.

Has anyone had this problem and/or have any suggestions to get the spur gear to rotate without being wobbly?

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

This is the first complaint of this nature that I've heard so far. Do you have any pictures of the affected parts? I would suggest giving Bill Goldsmith a call (the number to Losi is in your manual) and asking him for his opinion.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the information.

The parts I am referring to are put on the top gearbox arm in the following order (inner to outer - nut side)
1. Metal inner slipper shoe (same as outer shoe from visual inspection)
2. Orange/yellowish slipper pad
3. 86 tooth spur gear - Team Losi default with kit)
3. Orange/yellowish slipper pad
4. Metal outer slipper shoe
5. Diff spacer black plastic thing
6. Spring
7. Spring cap
8. Nut

Somewhere between 2 and 8 is the problem. Yea I really narrowed it town eh?

I talked to my local hobby shop and they said if I can't get it together right to bring it in so they can take a look. They have never heard of this type of problem before either. However they did say that sometimes its hard to get the thing to line up correctly.

The only thing I can think of thats happening is that while I remove my fat fingers from the assembly that the slipper pad is moving off the proper placement (where the notches are). Everything else seems to be in order.

I may try super gluing the spur gear side of the slipper pad to the spur gear itself so that I can remove any possibility of the pads being misaligned with the notches.

I'll let everyone know how it works out.

My goal is to race this thing next weekend so I have to get it together!

Old 09-07-2004, 11:57 AM
Tech Addict

I neglected to mention that the slipper pads themselves were slightly bowed in the packaging. I guess they got bent (not crimped though) for a period of time while in the box.

Originally they were causing me problems as they bowed away from the slipper shoe during assembly since the notches have to be so precisely aligned.

Now that it's been sitting there a few days (together but with spur wobble) the pads seem to have been flatted correctly.

This problem could all be from the misalignment of the tiny slipper pad notches and the spur gear notches.

Like I said I will let everyone know how it turns out!
Old 09-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Does it wobble a LOT or just a little. Say 1/4 the width of the spur gear or less (somewhat normal wobble) more then that you have something else going on. Make sure the Orange/yellowish slipper pad's are properly keyed to the spur gear. There are 4 cutouts in the pads that key onto the spur gear. IT takes a little practice to get them on without the pads rotating or you can use a small drop of CA to glue the pads to the gear to make sure they stay put. Other then make sure the top shaft is not bent. Spin the tranny without the slipper assy installed and see if you can tell if the top shaft is bent.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Have you tried spinning the inner "shoe" to see if its bent? Try to put it on the shaft and turing the shaft to see if it wobbles. If its good and you have your slipper pads lined up, maybe the gear itself is warped a little.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Tech Addict

I ended up CA gluing the orange slipper pads to the spur gear to eliminate that from the equation.

I dont think the shaft is bent. I've eyeballed the entire thing for hours trying to get the spur gear to rotate more smoothly.

I gave up for now. I guess it's designed to have a little wobble. I was worried about the mesh of the pinion and spur gear. Too much wobble and it will get chewed up.

I was thinking theoretically the assembly should resemble a spur gear on a fixed axle onroad car. My old onroad car spur didnt wobble at all, but it didn't have the goofy plastic spacer though.

Originally posted by Casper
Does it wobble a LOT or just a little. Say 1/4 the width of the spur gear or less (somewhat normal wobble) more then that you have something else going on. Make sure the Orange/yellowish slipper pad's are properly keyed to the spur gear. There are 4 cutouts in the pads that key onto the spur gear. IT takes a little practice to get them on without the pads rotating or you can use a small drop of CA to glue the pads to the gear to make sure they stay put. Other then make sure the top shaft is not bent. Spin the tranny without the slipper assy installed and see if you can tell if the top shaft is bent.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:38 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by hobbipro
Have you tried spinning the inner "shoe" to see if its bent? Try to put it on the shaft and turing the shaft to see if it wobbles. If its good and you have your slipper pads lined up, maybe the gear itself is warped a little.
Yea, it's possible the spur is warped, but it's hard to tell by eyeballing it. It seems like everything rotates well until I add the goofy spacer and spring.

I did have to replace the original spacer as I accidentally broke it by overtightening (I got a little carried away with my slipper tightening hehe). The replacement spacer part is for the Losi Hydra drive and looks identical to the original in size and shape.

When I eyeball the replacement spacer I don't see that the size contacting the slipper shoe is perfectly flat. Spinning the assembly makes the replacement spacer look out of round (wobbles) as it spins. I bought another spacer to see if I got a bad one but they appear the same.

Maybe I am being just too crazy with this wobble thing. It bugs me and I want the car to perform well.

To answer the above question I missed. It is a small wobble about 1/4th the width of the spur gear.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:15 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I would consider that within "normal" wobble and this should not effect the performance at all.