Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new car help

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 05:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Default new car help

hey everyone ive had my evader st for a while now and im startign to get tired of it now. i want more. for me for is 4WD. does anyone have any suggestion on what i get. i was lookin at the XXX-4 Graphite Plus what do yall think about that. it looks like what im lookin for. if u have any other suggestions on what to get just post. thanks. also if your selling anything that i might be lookin for post.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

While that's a great car, for your first "real" car it may be a little much. I'd go with the new MF2. It's the new losi truck. Way stable, fast, durable and....its a losi, you can't go wrong.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

The 4wd class is super fun, but racing is sporadic and unless you have a local track where people race them, you won't have much opportunity to race it. Sometimes the tarcks allow you to run it with the 2wd mod buggies though. The Losi is good, but prone to breaking the shock towers. This is a common issue in 4wd. Just stock up on parts liek arms and towers, etc. If cost is a concern, the Academy 4wd is very good too.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:40 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I agree with what others are saying here. if racing, make sure you first find out if there is:

a. A 4wd class to race in and its turn out
b. If 4wd class isn't running, can you race with the 2wd boys
c. Availability of parts if you break something

The Losi XXX-4 will probably have the most part support out there of the current crop of vehicles other than say the BJ4x4 as it uses alot of common parts for other vehicles but does cost significantly more than a XXX-4GP ( it does have some hopups that help the cost, but it is more and you will need tires too ).

If you are budget based, you can pickup the standard XXX-4 now for about $200 and get the revised parts ( ask the Losi guys ).

If you want a vehicle that doesn't use belts, the MRC / Academy SB Sport Edition 4wd buggy is quite fun and very competitive. its parts are very beefy and durable. MRC has great customer service through Tim at MRC. You can also order parts from ultimate hobbies if your LHS won't carry the vehicle. it also can be had very cheap, ultimate sells it for $145 .

If you need more help on the SB let me know as I can help you there as I have run one since it first came to the states ( give a couple of weeks or so ) .

4wd can be very fun and satisfying, no complaints here about that. Just need the turnout.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I agree, 4wd is a blast if you can get enough people to race it. If you are racing on less prepared surfaces I would have to agree that a truck of some kind would be a better vehicle. The best of the two doesn't really exist yet (4WD, electric stadium truck) although some people are trying

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=49465

This I think would be a very fun thing to try. So I guess you really have to look at what people run on the tracks around you and then go get something from Losi or Associated that fits that class.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

defently get a T4 or MF2 cause u dont want something too complex yet then agian you might not want to get something that you might not like in the future

but the xxx4 gp is pretty nice ive been looking at it my self but i have gone over to nitro

make sure ur LHS has avaliable replacements for wuteva u wanna buy
Old 09-08-2004, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Default 4WD Info

There's a lot of info about all types of electric 4WD at www.4wdrc.com . The class is really growing with the release of three new cars in the past 6 months: The BJ 4X4, the X - 5, and the Academy.

Although attendance was unusually low this year, Uncle Joe's 16th annual Labor Day race & BBQ actually had more 4WD entries than 2WD buggies! And, there were 6 different types of car entered: xxx-4, BJ 4X4, Academy, X - 5, xx-4, and Yoke. (X - 5 won) Kind of makes you think 2WD is boring because it's dominated by two cars!!

Many tracks are reporting increased interest in the 4WD class. Because of the extra mechanical components, less kick-up, and higher speeds, 4WD will meed more repairs than buggy or truck. But on all save a few tracks, electric 4WD Mod is the fastest car out there, bar none. That includes 1/8 gas. And that makes the class major fun!