Wiki Posts
Search

Charger that could of done so much more

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 12:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default Charger that could of done so much more

This was really wierd, I was balance charging my zippy on my venom pro charger, well it balanced and charged up very normal..Next, I hook up my venom lipo and couple mins later the charger beeps ( wow done that fast.....no) All of a sudden bunch of smoke starts coming out of it, thing got hot as hell my basement stunk so bad and it burnt my desk...power pack melted to the charger Luckily my lipo was alright, could of been worse...Idk wat happened really Now im in need of a charger Just thought I'd share my after work expierence
Old 03-27-2011, 02:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

if ur looking for a new charger, get one of these

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-6S-20A-300W

or

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...S-10A-200W-x-2

they are cheap, reliable and wont burn
Old 03-27-2011, 02:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i have bought both my chargers and both my power supplies off of eBay. you just got a bad one. you don't need to pay over 100 for a charger
Old 03-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by z50king
i have bought both my chargers and both my power supplies off of eBay. you just got a bad one. you don't need to pay over 100 for a charger
If you don't want it to catch on fire you do. Chargers are not something you want to cheap out on. Especially with LiPo's.
Just get a Hyperion, and you'll never look back. They dont even cost much more then the cheapies posted above.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

bought 2 thunder ac6 power chargers
they work great for 2s and ok for 3 or 4s
but over all they come with a nice balance port and lots of connectors
check hobbypartz.com
they have them for 45 bucks
Old 03-27-2011, 08:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I have a had several chargers, Passport Ultra, Thunder Power, Venom (went bad sold warrantied one)...about a year ago I sold all my "expensive" chargers and used the money to buy 3 Turnigy chargers along with 12 lipos....I have had great luck with the chargers and lipos.

Several guys at the track have got the chargers from Hobbypartz and none of them have had an issue as well.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drs92
This was really wierd, I was balance charging my zippy on my venom pro charger, well it balanced and charged up very normal..Next, I hook up my venom lipo and couple mins later the charger beeps ( wow done that fast.....no) All of a sudden bunch of smoke starts coming out of it, thing got hot as hell my basement stunk so bad and it burnt my desk...power pack melted to the charger Luckily my lipo was alright, could of been worse...Idk wat happened really Now im in need of a charger Just thought I'd share my after work expierence
Call or email venom, they have great customer service.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

ProTek RC new Duo Charger works wonders. Two BIG fans on the sides. Keeps things very very cool. I also got the Powersupply 20amperage. This is a very solid setup and would recommend this.

@ 10amps it charges 2 of my 5000 40c packs in about 30mins. I see no down time at the track.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

If all you are ever gonna run is smaller 2s packs then the Thunder AC6 from Hobbyparts.com is hard too beat .

If you think in the future you might be running larger high mAh packs then you should spend the money and get a better charger .

Hyperion is at the top of the foodchain IMO and their chargers are great , pricey but they work awesome and have a lot of features .