Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Cactus Classic and other big events. Have they lost sight of whats important??? >

Cactus Classic and other big events. Have they lost sight of whats important???

Cactus Classic and other big events. Have they lost sight of whats important???

Old 03-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Well, I can comment on the other side of the coin. I think he was also asking for prizes, etc... that are sweet to win and also break up time in between.

My perspective is that a lot of manufacturers just do not feel like handing out freebie prizes does anything. I used to give out kits at big races and it appeared that it did us absolutely no good. If the local hobby stores do not support the line, then there really isn't much of an opportunity to gain business in that particular marketplace.

I have talked to a number of other manufacturers who feel the same way and with the stagnant economy, it just adds to the reason to why not to do it unfortunately.

As for the racing, yep 450 entries, but certainly not 450 in that class. It always sounds impressive to the people who do not know any better, but at the end of the day out of those 450, probably 200 were in various shortcourse classes, 150 or so were in 1/8, etc.....still very respectable numbers don't get me wrong.

The other issue is that race days tend to drag on and on unless you run more than 1 class. Maybe he was complaining about that also?
Old 03-24-2011, 08:05 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 316 (100%+)

Understandable that it takes an immense amount of energy, patients and time to put on a race of that time, but i do have to side with him on the lack of hospitality at these big events! I am an old school racer also, and have seen it all fold! Although fun, it can get frustrating! One local track owner up here is the same way accept he is just down right rude, and has NO gratitude especially when he starts saucing too early, there for i don,t go to his races anymore!
I travel frequently down to Steve's track (Real RC and to the boys at Fastlane) in the KC area, and even though the crowds get big, he still has to be one of the Best race Hosts ive ever seen at all the big races ive been to!
My point being, there are both the good and the crappy! Just need to pick your battles!
As far as the people bashing the original post! Dont be an A**!! He's just venting and asking an honest question, So support the guy-Don't bash!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

PFKAOG,
You're coming across as an arrogant elitist. The original post was thoughtful and well reasoned, and your response is to put this guy down. Just because you don't want a trophy when racing against hundreds of other people unless it's first overall, are we suppossed to bow down before you? Someone has a right to mention something only if they have organized a similar event? He payed his money. He has a stake in the experience. He has a right to speak up.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

trophies should represent accomplishments, not participation
Old 03-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rufus2010
PFKAOG,
You're coming across as an arrogant elitist. The original post was thoughtful and well reasoned, and your response is to put this guy down. Just because you don't want a trophy when racing against hundreds of other people unless it's first overall, are we suppossed to bow down before you? Someone has a right to mention something only if they have organized a similar event? He payed his money. He has a stake in the experience. He has a right to speak up.
1. far from it.
2. only if you feel it necessary
Old 03-24-2011, 08:15 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 316 (100%+)

WOW! Rufus, I 100% agree!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artie's liver
trophies should represent accomplishments, not participation
You get it...... Does 10th place at a Supercross event get a trophy? What about the winner of the LCQ at a Supercross race?
Old 03-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i was in the g main this year and had a blast!

i know were you are coming from, i raced downhill mtb for years and won a norba national event and went i got my award it was the same buckle as the guy in third got!!! wtf??
Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I did not see him complaining about not getting a trophy. He used it as an example to show how the non pro(at least 400 of the 450 entries) racers are feeling less appreciated at this event. There is nothing worse than going to a race and feeling like you are nothing more than $$ to help the promoter have a race for the pro drivers.

I have been to bike races all over the US and Canada as both a pro and amateur. I have seen races like the OP describes. At some point you have to sit back and look at a race and everything it has going on and determine if it is worth going to. It sounds like the reasons the OP has for going to the Cactus cup are no longer there. There were races I went to for the race, then there were the races I went to for the atmosphere and good time.

PFKAOG is showing the exact attitude of why the OP is no longer interested in the Cactus Cup as a race to attend. Just to serious for what the OP is looking for. Don't worry someone is going to see this trend of everything getting to serious and start putting on a big race where the actual race is just a part of the reason you go. Then we will see what the people in this hobby want.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you're involved in this hobby for the trophies and fame, you're doing it wrong. Twenty years from now all those plaques and medals will be sitting in a forgotten box up in the attic, serving as a home for the local spider population.

I'm fortunate enough to be racing at a track with a group of guys that don't care much where (or if) they finish, at the end of the night we're all bullsh*tting out in the parking lot having a good time.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CR0SS
I did not see him complaining about not getting a trophy. He used it as an example to show how the non pro(at least 400 of the 450 entries) racers are feeling less appreciated at this event. There is nothing worse than going to a race and feeling like you are nothing more than $$ to help the promoter have a race for the pro drivers.

I have been to bike races all over the US and Canada as both a pro and amateur. I have seen races like the OP describes. At some point you have to sit back and look at a race and everything it has going on and determine if it is worth going to. It sounds like the reasons the OP has for going to the Cactus cup are no longer there. There were races I went to for the race, then there were the races I went to for the atmosphere and good time.

PFKAOG is showing the exact attitude of why the OP is no longer interested in the Cactus Cup as a race to attend. Just to serious for what the OP is looking for. Don't worry someone is going to see this trend of everything getting to serious and start putting on a big race where the actual race is just a part of the reason you go. Then we will see what the people in this hobby want.
it's just the difference between being a big fish in a small pond at the local track, or going to a big event and being a tiny fish in a big pond
Old 03-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I didn't attend the Cactus Classic but I thought your point was very well said. That would grind my gears as well. Every big race that I attend has a nice balance of focus on the fast guys as well as the average racer. Very well put and I hope your comments are heard.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Attend races and events organized and hosted by SCOTTY ERNST. You won't go home disappointed and you will find that "feel" your looking for. He is starting a Nation wide tour of his Short Course Showdown just like his Touring Car series in Europe... Attend it and you will go home with a smile on your face for sure!

Here is more info for those interested:

Old 03-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Tech Rookie

I too participated in this event. I enjoyed the racing, the weather, the adrenaline, the facility, and most of all the people that make up this community of the rc racing world. I also have been racing for about 20 years. I am not an A-main guy, yet I keep coming back for more. I have participated in many "big" races also. U can call me whatever sort of horrible degrading name you like, Quite frankly I dont care! But I love every plaque, trophy, and certitificate I have ever recieved in my rc racing career, especially those from "big" races.
I feel Hardcor has a valid point.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Tech Legend

Talk about one bad hang over from racing a big one ....

O-Whaaaaaa !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.