Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SC10 and XXX-SCT

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

That guy is doing something drastically wrong. The SC10 is shockingly durable. More so than even my old traxxas stampede, which suppose to be "legendary traxxas bulletproof".
Old 03-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Revoke36
In my experiences, without exaggeration, the sc10 has gone through 10 bulkheads, 5 rear pivot blocks, at LEAST a dozen A-arms and many sets of rear wheels due to that pin design that rips apart wheels. My friend was at one time declined for buying a third bulkhead in the same day at the LHS, as well as a couple pairs of A-arms.

The Losi has broken an axle due to a worn outdrive cup. Thats it.

Both of these trucks were purchased at the same time in Dec 2010 and have seen equal drive time. The Losi is mine and the AE is my friends. We also swap cars each time out to keep the playing field even and fun. In other words, these trucks are evenly abused. The AE is fragile. The Losi is tough as nails. My friend's sc10 is now in my posession cuz now the tranny is frozen. So now I own both and I'd hate to sink one red cent into knowing about its frailty.
No idea how you guys are managing breaking this thing so much. In the last yea my buddy and I have not broken anything on our sc10s. I had shocks leaky here and there but tears mainly my fault. What exactly happens when you break them? Are you simply going nuts and bashing?
Old 03-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

We will all see once the outdoor race season is in full swing everywhere, which truck will be better.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Laloosh
No idea how you guys are managing breaking this thing so much. In the last yea my buddy and I have not broken anything on our sc10s. I had shocks leaky here and there but tears mainly my fault. What exactly happens when you break them? Are you simply going nuts and bashing?
Strangely the AE has only broken on the track. Granted we have only gone bashing a couple of times. He drives a bit hard but he drives mine (Losi) the same and puts it through the same trials. Again, I can only speak for one sc10. I cant say I always see these things in pieces in the pits.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

If your breaking that many bulkheads a good investment is the aluminum bulkhead. And no, it won't increase your arm breakage or bend your hinge pins. Plus, it looks pimp. I've had two SC10's, the original kit and the FT. Both very durable, however, the FT seems more balanced. Not to mention the FT kit plastic has been beefed up in several places. IMO, the FT should come with the aluminum bulkhead.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had my SC10 for a year and got rid of it. It wasn't really anything wrong with the truck, it just didn't suit my driving style. There was TOO MUCH steering and the rear end just wouldn't stay planted. Again, that's probably due to my driving style, so I traded it for a 4WD Slash.

If there is one thing I can say about the SC10 that is positive, it's that it's pretty darned durable. I raced every weekend, sometime 2x a weekend and the only thing I ever had to do to it was shim the diff which is a known flaw form the factory. It was darned durable. I'm not the best driver either. I did however get the RPM front bumper and chassis brace when I got the truck and put it on right away at the advice of a team driver.

In summary. I think your success or failure with a given vehicle is highly dependent on the individual unless it's just a completely inferior vehicle which neither is, it's not like you're comparing one to a Strike.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BrentH
If your breaking that many bulkheads a good investment is the aluminum bulkhead. And no, it won't increase your arm breakage or bend your hinge pins. Plus, it looks pimp. I've had two SC10's, the original kit and the FT. Both very durable, however, the FT seems more balanced. Not to mention the FT kit plastic has been beefed up in several places. IMO, the FT should come with the aluminum bulkhead.

Believe me. I tried to convince my friend to make upgrades to put a stop to it. He couldnt bring himeslf to spending $20 over the $6 plastic. Trust me, I've pointed out the math lol. But in the end, his front bumper broke and the only replacement in stock was a RPM. He had no choice and that bumper alone has saved him a great deal of money. I believe he only broke one bulkhead after that. His A-arms were still breaking at the hinge pin tho. Perhaps less frequently. Since he is buying another sc10 I brought the FT to his attention. He already has the electronics so its logical.

I apologize to Muggydude for veering off topic. I have gotten my XXX SCT to turn as well as anything out there. The difference is that the sc10 comes that way out of the box. Have you tried the swaybar kit yet? I have it installed and tonight will be its maiden voyage. The test run in my yard was very assuring
Old 03-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

From the only local driver that has driven both Sc10 and XXXSC; He liked the SC10 both indoor and outdoor tracks. He found the XXX was only good outside on larger tracks. Although he has gone back to his X-factory SC lately Just one more opinion for ya....
Old 03-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

I've owned both and I ended up getting rid of the Losi cause I just couldn't get it setup good. The extreme flex in the arms and bulkhead was the main culprit IMO. I switched to a FT SC10 and I like it alot, especially cause I don't have to buy a bunch of stuff to upgrade it. I only got the RPM bumper and alum. front hinge pin holder.

Steering is incredible, in fact at one track I had to turn down dual rate to 65%. Still can get loose in the rear, but the losi did just as much. Added 4oz weight in the back and 1oz in the front and it is planted now.