Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
OFNA Nexx 10sc Thread >

OFNA Nexx 10sc Thread

OFNA Nexx 10sc Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks SC10

considering the lack of setup information for this car, I have been looking over Chad Bradley and co's SCRT10 setups and they all had 3/3/1 or 4/4/2 diff oil. For friday night I put 4/4/2 in and it was better than stock but not enough.

I know from 1/8 offroad that the staple base setup is always 5/5/3 so that's what I went and put in yesterday. I'm off to the track this morning for a tuning session so will report back.

The car has the 1-hole pistons in it and I'm running 35/30 wt shock oil. I reckon I'll go to either 32.5/30 up front today to help with the steering, but does that sound about normal to you? Again, SCRT10 setups, they were all around 40-50wt but I found the oil that was in the truck (I think 50wt) was so stiff that when you moved the piston quickly so little oil could move through the hole that the negative pressure it created on the underside of the piston was actually boiling the fluid! Surely that's not how suspension is supposed to work!!!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

OK, so, quick update. I just got back from the track and about 3 packs through the car.

I didn't change the shock oil, but the 5/5/3 diff oil was WAY better! Much more on power steering and far more stable. The car still has way to much rear weight transfer, but it's not my car so I don't have any of the suspension inserts to fiddle with it. I reckon that some more kick-up in the rear will help a lot.

I also lowered the car another 1mm in the front (now 20/22) and all my steering worries are gone. In fact, I had to up the say bars cause I was traction rolling it made that much difference! However, with the terrible weight transfer front/rear on power there is next to none droop in the front to try and tame it down, which hurts big time on jump landings, so I will get the rear end sorted out so I can up the droop in the front which should make things better again.

This car is blisteringly fast.

One thing I do struggle with, don't know about you, but really low speed steering. In those corners that are taken very slowly, with no attitude on the car. It feels like the steering doesn't have enough throw, have you had that? When you're moving weight around, it's fine, but I would like more static steering throw to help (ie, when spun out and trying to turn around!!!)
Old 03-31-2013, 10:13 AM
Tech Adept

Whittie, sorry i didn't reply last night i was at the track too, and ended up with the win with the nexx and the buggy got third in the amain, it was a great day! to answer your question regarding steering and the shocks: for steering i usually run the forward-most ackerman hole, with the caster set two spacer behind the upper arm and the toe out set at 1*. the shocks i run 50wt losi oil all around with the large two hole piston up front with the white spring, and the rear i use the blue spring with the small two hole piston. these two combined i have a pretty neutral steering response that gives me personally the best results at the track. try this out you might have to tweak it a little but give er a shot.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have never ran less than 40 weight up front and typically ran 5-5-2 in the truck ride was always 22 up front 24 in back. Only spring changes made were blue rear but that depended on how rutty the track was. The truck can literally turn on itself never had issues where it wouldn't turn unless I had wrong tires or my ride height was off. I always put battery forward and .5 oz of weight in front of the battery

Last edited by mugenlife; 03-31-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 375 (100%+)

changed my mind bout selling mine... just too fast and nimble to sell.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

I've got Ackerman forward, 2* toe, all spacers behind top arm, so that's the same. However I've got the battery all the way back as I found that gave me far more rear traction through the sweepers, it also afforded far more rear traction overall and stopped the car pitching over the front under braking and in the air.

What position do you have for front roll center? This one is center dots, thinking of lowering roll center and trying that far late corner steering too.

I'll be giving the car back soon, but will fiddle some more and try new things when I get the chance again
Old 04-22-2013, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

May pick up the nexx 10sc next week. I already have a tenshock 401sc (3800kv) waiting for it, or a ten scte.... Haven't quite decided yet which to order. Anyway, quick question for the experienced nexx 10sc owners.. With the tenshock 3800kv and 2s I have, what pinion size should go on it for a track with very long straights and good traction? I was thinking a 15t or 16t... What do you think?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by reckboy View Post
May pick up the nexx 10sc next week. I already have a tenshock 401sc (3800kv) waiting for it, or a ten scte.... Haven't quite decided yet which to order. Anyway, quick question for the experienced nexx 10sc owners.. With the tenshock 3800kv and 2s I have, what pinion size should go on it for a track with very long straights and good traction? I was thinking a 15t or 16t... What do you think?
Get the SCTE. Its just a better truck. I had the Nexx10sc its a good truck, but the SCTE is miles ahead of it engineering wise. With the nexx10sc, I had issues breaking axles/front bumpers/Upper arms..

SCTE all the way.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:19 PM
Tech Regular

I beg to differ, my SCTE has over $350 in 'upgrades' (read as: Necessary improvements) just to keep it running. My Nexx10 owes me $10 for a pillow ball... Also worth mentioning that a friend and I both running these cars just last weekend took 3 and 4 in the state challenge cup on a 1/8 track and on Friday I took 1st place over an ex-national champion at the local track, who was driving a Durango. First Losi was quite a way down the list.

The Nexx has quite tall gearing in the diffs, so you don't really need the huge pinion gears of other trucks.

I'm running a 4200kv motor in mine with a 13t pinion on a very large 1/8 scale track and it's great. Same gearing would be 14.4t for a 3800kv. Go with a 15t if you want to go really fast, 14t if it's too much (probably).
Old 04-22-2013, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by whittie View Post
I beg to differ, my SCTE has over $350 in 'upgrades' (read as: Necessary improvements) just to keep it running. My Nexx10 owes me $10 for a pillow ball... Also worth mentioning that a friend and I both running these cars just last weekend took 3 and 4 in the state challenge cup on a 1/8 track and on Friday I took 1st place over an ex-national champion at the local track, who was driving a Durango. First Losi was quite a way down the list.

The Nexx has quite tall gearing in the diffs, so you don't really need the huge pinion gears of other trucks.

I'm running a 4200kv motor in mine with a 13t pinion on a very large 1/8 scale track and it's great. Same gearing would be 14.4t for a 3800kv. Go with a 15t if you want to go really fast, 14t if it's too much (probably).
Guess its personal preference. when I had the nexx, it was a headache. Also the turning radius on this truck isn't the greatest. Front bumper is a joke. I just dont know why ofna uses such a old chassis layout. On top of that, its based off an old 12th scale buggy.

Honestly the SCTE 2.0 or Tekno SCT410 is the Best Bang for buck race (Up to date) truck.

If your going to spend $2-- some odd dollars, you might as well add a little more to get something better, is all I'm Saying.

Driver Skill>Truck all in all.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Feint Motion View Post
Guess its personal preference. when I had the nexx, it was a headache. Also the turning radius on this truck isn't the greatest. Front bumper is a joke. I just dont know why ofna uses such a old chassis layout. On top of that, its based off an old 12th scale buggy.

Honestly the SCTE 2.0 or Tekno SCT410 is the Best Bang for buck race (Up to date) truck.

If your going to spend $2-- some odd dollars, you might as well add a little more to get something better, is all I'm Saying.

turning radius of a nexx is smaller than a losi I have both trucks Losi 1.0 with tlr mods and now MIP nexx also can run at least 2 min longer with same motor and battery
Old 04-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Tech Regular

Great. Now I am still on the fence about SCTE vs Nexx 10sc...
I intend to do a fair amount of bashing/practice with my son so I am leaning towards the SCTE based on its legendary durability. Would be nice to save ~$60 and go with the Nexx 10sc though... Ugh.

I do enjoy turning wrenches for tuning and rc maintenance just as much as driving due to my engineering nature so that will never be an issue for me.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by reckboy View Post
in the summer when i run outdoor with this truck on a dusty type track ill usually start with a 14 and go up to a 15 at max. i would go ahead and pick up a few pinions like the 14t and the 15t to start off as the 13t is included with the truck.

to answer your other question if the majority of your time with the truck is spent in light bashing sessions or on the track the nexx will far outperform the scte! the scte is basically a begginer 1/8th buggy with bumpers and a sc body. if you look around in the forums for it the people are putting like 2-300 dollars of upgrades into the scte, whereas the nexx 10sc ive put maybe 200 in but ran the car stock for the first two years and smoked everyone! The nexx is all around better and ofnas customer service is hands down great! hope this helps!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Tech Adept

not to be rude, but please go back to the scte forum if you want dramma! the nexx is a dream to drive and is my favorite 4x4 hands down! i could drive circles around any scte the day i pulled mine out of the box! and ya the bumper is crap but the tbone is a direct fit and it is literally the trucks only weak spot!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Tech Regular

Guys, I did a little search but can't find any hard numbers, but what is the width of this truck?

I couldn't get slash front rims so ran with some slash rear rims the other day and with the same setup the car was junk!!

The slash rear rims are about 2mm narrower on each side than the front rims. I was amazed at how much difference 2mm per side made. So I did some measuring and with the rims I have (aka cyclone 2wd slash front and rear, stock) I noticed that the stock rim is widest, aka 2wd front about 1mm per side narrower and then the rears 2mm narrower again.

So, I am going to move over to only using the standard rims as they give the most width and stability, but it raises the question of total width compared to ROAR width. I have access to a machine shop and am thinking of buying some really wide wheels hexes (like 10mm or more you can get from Losi) and then shaving them to the correct width to get the Nexx10 to full roar width.

However, I don't know how short it is and don't have accurate measuring tools at home. Saving a trip to a shop, does anyone know how wide this car is with the standard rims?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.