Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

finished 3rd out of 22 trucks and I kept getting faster and faster
Old 06-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jreising326
Hi Guys,

I've been trying to determine the source of my glitching problem. I have a Nexx8 and a Nexx10, Savox 1258TG in both, SP and HW 80A ESC's (similar/same) and Spektrum & Flysky radios and rx's. Nexx 8 has been rock solid, never glitched and has always run the Spektrum radio. I've swapped the servos and rx's and get the same results. If I put a really big Cap (8500uf 25v) on the Flysky RX it seems to eliminate the problem. The Spektrum has much more difficulty. Built in BEC is 3A.

I am running "stock" gearing (13T pinion) and 35C HobbyPeople 5000 2S Lipo in the Nexx10. I've run other, higher C batteries as well, but not since putting in the Cap.

The Glitch manifests itself as a stuck throttle and lack of response under full throttle from dead stop while adding some steering.

I'm starting to wonder if the motor has too much KV and is browning out the Rx and maybe even the ESC and wondering if I should have just got the 5.5T or 6.5T.

What gearing are you guys running on this motor? Any advice on this problem?

I'm sure an external BEC will help or eliminate the problem, but honestly can't see why that should be necessary. It seems I would be masking an underlying problem that needs to be addressed.

Many Thanks in advance,

Joe
I'd either run the cap or get an external bec. I have to run a cap on my MMP w/Neu 1410, EXI D227F servo and Futaba RX or it does the same thing as yours. I think I'm going to get the external bec soon to take the load off my ESC.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

I've been trying to determine the source of my glitching problem. I have a Nexx8 and a Nexx10, Savox 1258TG in both, SP and HW 80A ESC's (similar/same) and Spektrum & Flysky radios and rx's. Nexx 8 has been rock solid, never glitched and has always run the Spektrum radio. I've swapped the servos and rx's and get the same results. If I put a really big Cap (8500uf 25v) on the Flysky RX it seems to eliminate the problem. The Spektrum has much more difficulty. Built in BEC is 3A.

I am running "stock" gearing (13T pinion) and 35C HobbyPeople 5000 2S Lipo in the Nexx10. I've run other, higher C batteries as well, but not since putting in the Cap.

The Glitch manifests itself as a stuck throttle and lack of response under full throttle from dead stop while adding some steering.

I'm starting to wonder if the motor has too much KV and is browning out the Rx and maybe even the ESC and wondering if I should have just got the 5.5T or 6.5T.

What gearing are you guys running on this motor? Any advice on this problem?

I'm sure an external BEC will help or eliminate the problem, but honestly can't see why that should be necessary. It seems I would be masking an underlying problem that needs to be addressed.

Many Thanks in advance,

Joe
Savox servos are power hungy and are known to cause receivers, especially Spektrum receivers, to brown out and quit working for a second or two. The Spektrum power capacitor, or equivilent, plugged into the receiver will cure that. Or, an external BEC wired to power only the servo, if you have a Savox HV servo. Actually, a Savox HV servo should be able to be powered directly from your 2S lipo.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
Savox servos are power hungy and are known to cause receivers, especially Spektrum receivers, to brown out and quit working for a second or two. The Spektrum power capacitor, or equivilent, plugged into the receiver will cure that. Or, an external BEC wired to power only the servo, if you have a Savox HV servo. Actually, a Savox HV servo should be able to be powered directly from your 2S lipo.
Yes, that is true about the savox, the stall current is 5 amps, which is more than the esc can provide, but unlikely to need in my driveway where i am testing this problem. Also, ive had the same servo w spektrum in the nexx 8 for 6 months without any issues. I cant run the spektrum even with the cap in the nexx10.

The novak 4.5T, i believe is a 5000 kv motor. They noe have a Hi Torque version that brings it down to something like 3800. Im wondering if the high kv is browning stuff out.

Do folks w the 5.5 or 6.5 also need a cap or bec, or is this mostly a problem of 4.5T owners w spektrum radios?

Is anyone running the 4.5T without a cap or bec? If so what radio (im gonna guess futaba). What battery and gearing?

I plan to call novak on monday, they were closed by the time i tried yesterday.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 06-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by teknic
I'd either run the cap or get an external bec. I have to run a cap on my MMP w/Neu 1410, EXI D227F servo and Futaba RX or it does the same thing as yours. I think I'm going to get the external bec soon to take the load off my ESC.
Ive got a friend w that setup and he has a similar issue, but he is also using the same savox servo, so we have been blaming the servo. I have a D227F in a different car and could try that, but am starting to think the servo is a wild goose chase.

These esc's and servos work like a champ in 1/8th scale buggies without a cap or external bec. Ath this point i am starting to suspect the motors play a role in the problem. The only other thing it might be is the SC truck design loading on the system or a strange noise problem. I dont know what else it could be.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I need a little help with the rear end bouncing in the bumps.. im running the 2 hole pistons front and rear with assoc. 40wt. White springs front and 30wt.blue springs rear...
Seems to be great everywhere else on the track but the rear end bounces up horribly over the speed bumps/woops...

Anyone?

Also- I've been much happier after laying down the battery (just dremmel the tray)
Old 06-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 270 (100%+)

P
Yes, that is true about the savox, the stall current is 5 amps, which is more than the esc can provide, but unlikely to need in my driveway where i am testing this problem. Also, ive had the same servo w spektrum in the nexx 8 for 6 months without any issues. I cant run the spektrum even with the cap in the nexx10.

The novak 4.5T, i believe is a 5000 kv motor. They noe have a Hi Torque version that brings it down to something like 3800. Im wondering if the high kv is browning stuff out.

Do folks w the 5.5 or 6.5 also need a cap or bec, or is this mostly a problem of 4.5T owners w spektrum radios?

Is anyone running the 4.5T without a cap or bec? If so what radio (im gonna guess futaba). What battery and gearing?

I plan to call novak on monday, they were closed by the time i tried yesterday.

Thanks,

Joe
Iam using Novak4.5 with pro esc, savox servo with no browning out in my Nexx10
Old 06-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Er8sr
P
Iam using Novak4.5 with pro esc, savox servo with no browning out in my Nexx10
Ok good to hear this, thanks, savox 1258tg? So no cap? How about what radio, gearing and battery?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for confirming this....

Joe
Old 06-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drew840
I need a little help with the rear end bouncing in the bumps.. im running the 2 hole pistons front and rear with assoc. 40wt. White springs front and 30wt.blue springs rear...
Seems to be great everywhere else on the track but the rear end bounces up horribly over the speed bumps/woops...

Anyone?

Also- I've been much happier after laying down the battery (just dremmel the tray)
Does the Nexx come with small 2 hole and large 2 hole like the SCRT? If so, what are you running? If it's the large 2 hole, make sure the rear isn't slapping on the speed bumps causing it to kick. My SCRT will do that with 40 rear and small 2 holes, so yours definately could.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Just dropped a 1410 4 pole. Geared it 18t pinion. WoW. Super fast. Temps were pretty low. I dont have a radar gun, But I would think i hit about 45-50 mph easily.

With the 4 pole motor, the breaking is intense. I was doing nose whillies, and had to tune my break power down (was as 80%) unfortunately, broke my rear arm. My stupid fault.

MMM ESC never gets hot, nor does the motor, Perfect set-up
Wish more companies would make more 540 4 pole motors.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Well i broke my 1st parts on my Nexx this avro,My fault I hit a pole at high speed and broke the LHR A-arm & the Shock tower also broke where the camber link bolts on..

Just wondering are the SCRT-10 rear a-arms the same ( i see they come as a f/r set but i can get them local easy, id just sell off the front arms)?

Also would it be worth upgrading the shock towers to the option CNC ones?

Cheers Clint
Old 06-23-2011, 03:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by waggaclint
Well i broke my 1st parts on my Nexx this avro,My fault I hit a pole at high speed and broke the LHR A-arm & the Shock tower also broke where the camber link bolts on..

Just wondering are the SCRT-10 rear a-arms the same ( i see they come as a f/r set but i can get them local easy, id just sell off the front arms)?

Also would it be worth upgrading the shock towers to the option CNC ones?

Cheers Clint
Yes, jammin rear arms are a direct fit. I would not get the cnc shock towers. They bend. I would either go the carbon fiber route ( jammin products, or SNR) or stick with the plastic shock towers. Carbon fiber is much more stronger than the cnc ones.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks Feint, I was thinking the same thing about the CNC towers..

Ive just been looking into the C/F ones, pretty pricey hey around $100 shipped to me in Aus, I think ill just grab a couple of stock ones..
Old 06-23-2011, 06:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Waggaclint another option is the DP delrin shock towers sold by the TOYZ for $19.99 for the scrt10. but will fit the nexx 10sc. They just hit the market.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

anyone put the outerwear shroud for the scrt10 on the Nexx 10sc? is it a direct fit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.