Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I need help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Default I need help please!

Im a newbie to the forum, so bear with me.
I recently purchased two Novak Ballistic 17.5 with the Havoc Pro Sc for two identical Blitz's. After over 16 hours over this past weekend testing, gearing, and monitoring temps, I cant keep these things cool at all. When I can run, I run a high bite clay indoor track.
I have tried several combinations of spur and gear combo's. I cant run either truck more than FIVE minutes without either truck coming in at or near 160 degrees. I have had three Pro drivers attempt to play with both trucks. Heck I even let them drive one of them. All programming is set to factory default, no boost, no nothing! We even tried to retard the timing on the motor to help cool them down. Still nothing! Now, on my last run, one of the pro's suggested to go back to what spur/gear combo that is actually suggested with the reduced motor timing. This was a 77/27 with the timing retarded 15degrees.With a stopwatch, at five minutes exactly, the truck came in at 193 degrees. I have adjusted the slipper till it nearly wont move. Guys, I just dont know what to do....any help would be greatly appreciated! Im so upset with all of this, Im thinking of selling EVERYTHING I own and walking away. this hobby was for my son and me to do together, but we are both disenchanted and are done!!! Sorry for the ong post.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Sounds like you've done alot of the "right" things to mitigate heat issues and had additional experienced help assissting you. I would contact Novak for assisstance. Novak Two (rctech username) is probably another great option. Hope this is somewhat helpfull.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rangerjkb
Sounds like you've done alot of the "right" things to mitigate heat issues and had additional experienced help assissting you. I would contact Novak for assisstance. Novak Two (rctech username) is probably another great option. Hope this is somewhat helpfull.
+1
Old 03-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Unfortunately Ive noticed my ballistics run a bit hotter than my other motors.

I started using them in 4wd buggy and they are usually in the 180-190 range when they come off the track... Im 160-170 with my other motors in that car. My 2wds are fine at 130-145 usually.

Without any boost i think the ballistic turns a little higher rpm than other brands, so you may have to go down a tooth or two on the pinion. Still by doing this, you are only reducing a little heat at a time this way, and i know you dont want to be slow either lol.

What size track is it? Small/tight high bite tracks make a lot of heat. Lots of acceleration, even more heat if you run the brakes a lot or a higher epa.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

gear mesh too tight?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I have never had a Ballistic get over 150. They run cool, like 110-120. I run ceramics in all mine and I also have a tuning rotor in the one. Check gear mesh like suggested earlier.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Ward
I have never had a Ballistic get over 150. They run cool, like 110-120. I run ceramics in all mine and I also have a tuning rotor in the one. Check gear mesh like suggested earlier.
+1, cannot get the thing hot!!!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

I run mine on a tight high bite track and they sizzle. 17.5 geared around 81/23 or 13.5 geared around 84/22, still they run hotter than my other brands.

Easiest way to set your gear mesh is using a piece of paper between the gears and done!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

At some point I'd start looking at your drivetrain... bad bearing, bent cvd, wheel nuts too tight, and (along with any number of things) gear mesh as mentioned above. If you can, find someone with a similar setup and swap your motor/esc out into their rig to test. If something was assembled wrong, it may have been done on both trucks(?)
Old 03-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

It could be something to look at yes, but in the case of mine running hot it is not. Ive had these motors in several vehicles which operate flawlessly and they are maintained by myself.

These do however run cool in 2wd buggy, but not so much in 4wd buggy or SCT.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

This may be bad news but how many times did they temp over 160 deg? Once BL motors are overheated they tend to continue to degrade, running hotter and hotter. I have several Ballistics and they run no hotter for me than other brands I've used. I don't know the tranny ratio on a Blitz but at 77/27 you should not see temps that high after 5 min. unless something else is wrong, or the motor has been over heated too many times. IMO