Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New Losi XXX-SCT troubles >

New Losi XXX-SCT troubles

New Losi XXX-SCT troubles

Old 04-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
Well, the motor died on the darn thing today. He stopped doing burnouts and all we've done with the car is race around the yard, driveway, and the cul-de-sac. The other day the motor started smelling burnt, however it did not seem to hot.

Today it went belly-up. I verified with a friend's car - hooking his controller to my motor and the motor doesn't turn, and an ohm meter across the armature indicates that it's "open" - which is I recall my basic brushed DC motor knowledge means it's trash.

I am going to call Losi tomorrow. I am not pleased with this car - quite frankly my Slash 4x4 has the same play time as his car and has not had a single problem except having to adjust the slip clutch one time. Our friends have two HPI cars in the same price range (the design looks very similar) that they beat the tar out of and they don't have nearly the problems we've had with this car. We've finally just got it to the point where screws are not falling out all the time, and now this!

If I can get a replacement brushed motor I'll save my pennies for a brushless and hopefully have some reliability.
Thats the main problem with RTR's... At least BRUSHED RTR's.... People expect them to run forever on the stock brushed motor. It simply doesn't work that way... Even a month is a VERY long time for a brushed motor. I remember the "good old" days where youd do maintenence on race motors weekly and every 2 or 3 weeks swapping out brushes was common thing! Then the oiling of the com before every run... That was ridiculous! What hoops we jump through for a tiny bit more performance!

I would suggest saving those pennies and get the brushless system, you will be much happier in the long run!

BTW those HPI trucks are tough but they arent quite the "race truck" like the one you got. Hence the parts breakage when not racing! It would have been a better idea just to get your son a slash if you were just gonna play in the yard, granted not a "race truck", but your not really racing anyways! But thats a little late advice right?
Old 04-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Traxxas are tough as nails. Both Associated and Losi are easier to break. I have been running one Traxxas Slash in stock short course and another in mod short course (brushless system) for over a year and have not broken anything. I did have a motor wire plug on the stock motor come apart once; but is was a 90 degree day and we were running a seven minute main.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
Thats the main problem with RTR's... At least BRUSHED RTR's.... People expect them to run forever on the stock brushed motor. It simply doesn't work that way... Even a month is a VERY long time for a brushed motor. I remember the "good old" days where youd do maintenence on race motors weekly and every 2 or 3 weeks swapping out brushes was common thing! Then the oiling of the com before every run... That was ridiculous! What hoops we jump through for a tiny bit more performance!

I would suggest saving those pennies and get the brushless system, you will be much happier in the long run!

BTW those HPI trucks are tough but they arent quite the "race truck" like the one you got. Hence the parts breakage when not racing! It would have been a better idea just to get your son a slash if you were just gonna play in the yard, granted not a "race truck", but your not really racing anyways! But thats a little late advice right?
Yeah, we took the advice of the hobby shop.

So these motors are intended to be replaced monthly?
Old 04-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Tech Champion

Pretty much unless they have user replaceable brushes. IDK if the losi is maintainable. The traxxas ones are not from what I have read. Thas why they are only $22 my guess.... I remember the old brushed "stock" motors! $60 for a month or 2 of racing!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Pretty much unless they have user replaceable brushes. IDK if the losi is maintainable. The traxxas ones are not from what I have read. Thas why they are only $22 my guess.... I remember the old brushed "stock" motors! $60 for a month or 2 of racing!
OK - couple of questions.

1) Would Losi typically replace a motor that failed in this time frame? Just looking for an opinion, obviously.
2) If not, what is a good drop-in replacement? I don't think I can swing a brushless system right now ... but also don't want to be in the same situation again in a month or two, so I'll do what is necessary if need be
3) Is this truck just not durable enough to be driving around the yard and cul-de-sac? I don't think we're rough on it. No jumps or anything. A roll in the grass every now and then.
4) If I needed to go brushelss, can someone point me in the direction of some info on what I'd need to buy?

Thanks all for the advice!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Tech Champion

OK - couple of questions.

1) Would Losi typically replace a motor that failed in this time frame? Just looking for an opinion, obviously.
2) If not, what is a good drop-in replacement? I don't think I can swing a brushless system right now ... but also don't want to be in the same situation again in a month or two, so I'll do what is necessary if need be
3) Is this truck just not durable enough to be driving around the yard and cul-de-sac? I don't think we're rough on it. No jumps or anything. A roll in the grass every now and then.
4) If I needed to go brushelss, can someone point me in the direction of some info on what I'd need to buy?

Thanks all for the advice!
1 They just might, call them and see!

2 The brushes can actually be replaced on this one!http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Brushed-Motor

3 It should be durable enough for that, but with more play = better driving and less wrecks which will = less breakage!

4 this one would be a good starting point! http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Package-3800kV
Old 04-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Losi/Horizon will most likely replace the motor if you call them.

I think you should stick to the brushed setup for now, if you move to brushless it usually means more speed and more broken parts. Also running on grass with a 1/10th 2wd SC truck will smoke almost any motor brushed or brushless if run on it for to long.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Pretty much. These motors are crap, dude. All RTR motors are. The truck itself is fine, it just seems like you have no clue what you're getting into with RC in general. There's nothing wrong with the truck. These are high performance, high strung, high maintenance machines. Just like a 60s Ferrari. As such, they require frequent wrenching. Just like a 60s Ferrari.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Truck is really designed for the track,once he gets used to it find a local track and try it out...Truck is not a basher I.E...cul de -sac doh-nuts yard driving etc.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Tech Adept

The Traxxas Titan 12turn would be a good play motor,just do a proper break in and spray it out every so often and a little oil on the bushings and run the crap out of it. Just remember that running in both forward and then reverse is harder on the brush's(chipping).We have had little luck with the Radon,the quality control of the arm's is poor. 2 cents anyway.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheTroll View Post
The Traxxas Titan 12turn would be a good play motor,just do a proper break in and spray it out every so often and a little oil on the bushings and run the crap out of it. Just remember that running in both forward and then reverse is harder on the brush's(chipping).We have had little luck with the Radon,the quality control of the arm's is poor. 2 cents anyway.
Those titan motors are Shite, dude. I've gone through three in as many weeks, at one point. I don't recommend them to anyone for any reason.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SaladFork View Post
Losi/Horizon will most likely replace the motor if you call them.

I think you should stick to the brushed setup for now, if you move to brushless it usually means more speed and more broken parts. Also running on grass with a 1/10th 2wd SC truck will smoke almost any motor brushed or brushless if run on it for to long.
Well, calling it grass is a bit of a stretch ... more like 50% dirt, 50% crappy, dry, miserable weed. The cars are not dragging through it or anything, they actually go at a pretty good clip.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie View Post
it just seems like you have no clue what you're getting into with RC in general
Well, yeah. That's why I'm here. I'm not here looking for sympathy, just some info and education.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Tech Initiate

1 They just might, call them and see!

2 The brushes can actually be replaced on this one!http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Brushed-Motor

3 It should be durable enough for that, but with more play = better driving and less wrecks which will = less breakage!

4 this one would be a good starting point! http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Package-3800kV
Thanks for the info. I'm going to call Losi tomorrow (couldn't get to it today) and see what they say. Regardless, I'll pull the motor and see what I can see, and if it looks like the brushes I'll replace them if possible, otherwise swap in a different brushed motor that is serviceable for now. I agree the brushless would be faster and he's not ready for that, yet.

I have some experience with DC motors ... granted they were huge elevator motors, but they did have brushes.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Well, yeah. That's why I'm here. I'm not here looking for sympathy, just some info and education.
Just for the record, that statement wasn't meant to be insulting, just letting you know. Everybody goes through it

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service