Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
what happened to 1oth scale truck racing? >

what happened to 1oth scale truck racing?

what happened to 1oth scale truck racing?

Old 03-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

and to whoever mentioned that st is easier to drive then sc IMO isnt totally true.... Yes sc's dont jump as well due to the parchute effect of there body but for the most part are more stable. 1 being the wheelbase being longer and if you bump into someone else they dont flip as easy with the bodies covering the wheels etc. Like i said i like both.. ST is alive and well at my local track. We usually get 5-10 mod/stock trucks and its about the same with SC trucks. Remember theres a reason y beginners start with corr trucks and its not because it's harder to drive.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Tech Legend

Sc is way harder.... traction rolls & heavier as well...

Personally got really tried with the stadium trucks , SC is way more fun to race & drive..
Old 03-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rob martin View Post
Too many classes in rules?? Do u know how many arguments ive seen week to week with SC Rules.??st and 2wd buggy have always been simple. Stock or mod and thats it. SC everyone cries about this trucks motors faster or this truck comes with better tires etc. Ive never seen more contraversy then what ive seen with SC trucks. I mean you've 17.5 sc.box stock sc.slash spec,open ? I think thats alot more classes then stock/mod truck.
It is the crying and special classes for different motors that annoy me. I went to a race and there were like three or four different two wheel drive SC classes (stock, 17.5, 13.5, mod), not to mention other variations on two wheel drive buggy.

I like things simple and with the technology where it is now, you don't really need stock or mod. ESC limits, 2s, motor sizes, stock vs mod, etc. Just way too confusing to me. Just run two wheel buggy and let the clock sort it out imho. With technology where it is, stock is damn near as fast as mod at the tracks I run at so I don't see the point of having two classes. Anyone can have a super fast car on a budget these days, so it is really driving skill that determines the winner, not your equipment like it used to be back in the day. Factory guys no longer have "special" batteries and motors and it doesn't take a Indy 500 budget and full time mechanic to have a car capable of winning. The rules should reflect this...
Old 03-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by c4coop View Post
it seems that there are no more 1/10th scale truck races at the tracks in my area. Is this just a little phase or is the class dead forever.
I dont know about you, but i can't afford to purchase a short course truck and they don't look as fun as the xxx-t that i drive.
I'm pretty sure they make a conversion kit for the xxxt

Last edited by oplaxboy2; 03-21-2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: mis-wording
Old 03-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Losi will be releasing a stadium truck version of the 22 buggy, the 22t I believe in the near future, hopefully this will re-spark st racing, I know I'll be getting one once it comes out.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 164 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hgrove99 View Post
THe reasons i think the Short course trucks are taking over is because they look like the real thing and they are much eaiser to drive than the Stadium Trucks. If a young kid buys a stadium truck i can bet he cant drive it for crap...he prob still wont drive the short course that well but they are much more forgiving. Stadium trucks invovle much more throttle control and much more experiance..just my .02

Ummm... Most young kids cant drive SC trucks worth a crap either..... One kid was running his the wrong way on the track, Hit me dead on, saw him coming at me way too late, and broke my RB5. His parents were cool enough to come up to me afterwards and offer to pay for the damamge, broken shock shaft and broken shock mount (big bore setup). Someone needs to tell the people at west coast if they are going tolet the kiddies run wild with their SC trucks, they need to hace controlled practice based on age and experience.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
Ummm... Most young kids cant drive SC trucks worth a crap either..... One kid was running his the wrong way on the track, Hit me dead on, saw him coming at me way too late, and broke my RB5. His parents were cool enough to come up to me afterwards and offer to pay for the damamge, broken shock shaft and broken shock mount (big bore setup). Someone needs to tell the people at west coast if they are going tolet the kiddies run wild with their SC trucks, they need to hace controlled practice based on age and experience.
I guess the benefit even if they cant drive them is that there not in the hobbyshop every 10minutes like if they were driving 2wdbuggy/truck. I feel u tho. I had a sc hit me head on and cracked my body and broke pretty much everything in the front end.lol
Old 03-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by c4coop View Post
it seems that there are no more 1/10th scale truck races at the tracks in my area. Is this just a little phase or is the class dead forever.
I dont know about you, but i can't afford to purchase a short course truck and they don't look as fun as the xxx-t that i drive.
Check out Coyote Hobbies in Victorville. They had about 10 stadium trucks on Saturday. They race at 5pm every Saturday and they are building a new layout this week.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Derry View Post
Your right..They are just as competitive as st trucks. But unfortunatly (for having hack free racing) sc draws more beginners. In any class the drivers are what make for good racing.
There's the rub though - If the drivers are what make for good racing, you always want new drivers coming into the sport and SC makes that easier for a number of reasons. (Easier to drive, easier to race with full fenders, easier on parts as the bodies help protect, etc.) The best thing to do is to welcome these beginners and help them learn RC racing as you want them to learn it! (Something to be said for "molding" the next generation of racers! ) And most places will have enough entries to separate the "novices" from the "experienced" racers racing in stock or mod.

Sometimes not - last weekend we combined novice and stock SC but that worked out fine still as the faster guys raced our race and had a lot of practice passing! The beginners all raced each other pretty close and got to see the lines the faster racers took. I ended up talking to a few of them about how to approach a couple sections of the track, especially the mogul section. There's fun in that too!

Just my view of things and it's how I'm approaching my latest go at RC racing.

-jlt
Old 03-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We still run stadium in Michigan. Lots of SC though too, although I can't for the life of me see the appeal. Especially for seasoned racers.
Can someone explain to me what the appeal is, besides that they look more like a "real" truck?
I mean, giant plastic bumpers? (with mud flaps) Sweet!
Like, 45 degree chassis roll around corners. Awesome!
Huge, lumbering bodies that slap and bang around and sound like something is breaking over every jump. Gotta have it!

Of course, just my opinion.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I love reading replies from the people who think sc killed st. If all you die hard st racers want to race then do it. To me those trucks look so boring compared so sc. The tires on the st are almost as tall as the roof and they are I insanely wide. They just look dumb.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Super Coupe View Post
I love reading replies from the people who think sc killed st. If all you die hard st racers want to race then do it. To me those trucks look so boring compared so sc. The tires on the st are almost as tall as the roof and they are I insanely wide. They just look dumb.
Lemme guess.. 8th scale truggies are even more boring and dumber looking.. with their buggy wings all hanging out the back and even bigger tires

I personally think on the track.. Slow .. Multicolored vacuum cleaners hacking each other out at every corner looks dumb
Old 03-21-2011, 09:05 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Sc is way harder.... traction rolls & heavier as well...

Personally got really tried with the stadium trucks , SC is way more fun to race & drive..
Really? SCT's are heavier than ST's? Not unless you are talking about a 4wd sct! My RT5 with a race setup weighed WAY more than my SCT and my SCT is WAY bigger in size. Everyone that runs the Tebo "high bite" setup on their RT5 knows theres like 70 grams of additional weight thrown onto the truck!

I must be crazy because I LOVED my RT5 and will get another one before next fall when our indoor season starts back up! ST's around here are always a class to be in during the indoor season! Theres usually at least 1 heat if not 2 or 3 heats!

Maybe SCT's are "harder to drive" but when you traction roll, usually they flip right back on to their wheels... ST's not so lucky... Marshal! ST's may have wider tires for more traction but shorter wheel base, exposed arms and tires make you be a better driver and make you hold your lines instead of just going out on the track and mashing the gas like a LOT of the SCT drivers out there do! You actually have to slow down to turn in ST's! Maybe thats why people dont like them! You just cant mash the gas and expect them to turn!

I agree the SCT's are fun, I have 2 of them, but they still don't compare to ST's for me!

Thats my opinion, I could be wrong!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Short Course trucks are NOT easier to drive than a Stadium truck.
-1. Sorry but they are I guess we'll just have to disagree on that!

Originally Posted by Super Coupe View Post
As I have said before, I think exactly the opposite :/ Short course trucks look retarded just like the 1:1 scale trucks do.. Why would I want to drive a replica of something that I think is ugly? Looks of the truck is a matter of opinion, I just wished more people shared mine

I do agree on one thing though... If you have a Stadium Truck sitting on the wall collecting dust then RUN IT!!! YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM!!! If we all just started taking our trucks to the track and having a good time running with the 2wd buggies then maybe others at the track will see your ST out there and decide to jump in next week with their dust-covered vehicle Worth a shot at least
Old 03-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TailsNeon556 View Post
Lemme guess.. 8th scale truggies are even more boring and dumber looking.. with their buggy wings all hanging out the back and even bigger tires

I personally think on the track.. Slow .. Multicolored vacuum cleaners hacking each other out at every corner looks dumb

Best post so far...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.