Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Mamba MMP & Tekin 10.5 Really Slow?? >

Mamba MMP & Tekin 10.5 Really Slow??

Mamba MMP & Tekin 10.5 Really Slow??

Old 03-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Mamba MMP & Tekin 10.5 Really Slow??

I just bought a MMP and Tekin Redline 10.5 Motor. Both new. I am running it in a slash 2wd LCG with Robinson Slipper clutch. I have a Venom 5600 2S 60C batt and a Turnigy 4000 3S 35C batt.

I previously had the Velineon system in this truck but was wanting something a little better with an ESC I could tune.

So here's the deal, this thing is so slow off the line it feels like a stock slash with a brushed motor. I can't break the rear wheels lose on pavement, and can barely break them loose on dirt. I have castle link and have made sure all settings are normal (default). No boost, default curves, no cheat mode, no altered timing, etc. All default. I upgraded the firmware to the newest beta one offered.

I have a slash 4X4 too with the Castle SCT System with the 2400 KV motor. I normally run 3S in that. I put the 3S batt in my 2X4 and 2S in the 4X4, the 4X4 was still noticeably faster. Like 30% faster. I have been up and down the gears. From the tiny 12T (I run 32P) in it now to an 18tooth that made it run over 180 very quickly.

So whats up? Does this motor just stink or am I missing something obvious, or is it possible its just bad?

I will note that when I had it geared tall it would have a really good top speed and seemed to have great power at the higher rpms, but was still very, very slow off the line. My slipper is locked down so its not that.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Tech Rookie

I thought for sure somebody on this forum would have this setup. Guess not
Old 03-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Is your diff really loose cause this thing should be insane with that combo in it! The tekin motors are awesome and the MMP is one of the best speedos I have ever used (except for the Tekin ESC's maybe). Is your motor or esc getting hot and are the wires all hooked up correctly? Are you running it in sensorless mode or sensored?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Just a couple of things I can ask.....

How is reverse? Normal?

What is punch control set at?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default MMP

You need to make sure you have it in cheat mode and advance the timing to at least 30 and then work your way up from there. Also, If forget what it is called, but there is a setting for sending full power to the motor on starts. Make sure this is set to high, the default is medium or low. You can also change the rpm range for when the speed control will not use the advanced timing throught the speed control. I had a similar issue when you use all of the defaults, but when you make the changes you will see a big difference and you will be fast again. Go to hobbytalk.com and check out the mamba max pro thread. There is all the information you need.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That combo should scream!

Theres a few things i would check out. As a starting point I would suggest something like this:

Max forward power - 100%
Punch control - 0%
Might help to do the motor test and turn off the torque limit.
Start power to medium-high
Enable sensored only mode
Use the cheat funtion if you would like to run any boost. I start out from 5400-19500 as a base. The amount is up to you.
Put your throttle/brake curves to linear.

As with a sensored setup, make sure the wire is ok. Try another one if you have it. It doesnt hurt to have a few extra.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

We had a racer couple of weeks ago go through the same thing! He changed motors, speedo, and reciever but it still was super slow! I said the only thing he didnt change was the battery better check that too and guess what it was the battery he was running a Venom with 4mm bullet connector, changed battery everything was back to normal,

So we took the battery apart to see what was possibily wrong and there was some wires that came loose on one of the cells so effectively he was running a 1cell and didnt know it! Ill bet someting similar has happened to you too change the battery and find out!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I did not see a mention of radio setup.

EPA 100%? No EXP adjusted possibly by accident? Calibrate ESC to the radio?